Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Is There are real right and wrong? - Page 3

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that ekimup is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the choice we make to base our choices, on something other than the "correct" factors within existence.

"In this world, we are never lacking. Only losing what we have in hope of gaining what we dont."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the words "right" and "wrong" are simply, socially constructed in the human mind. 'right and wrong' don't exist outside your brain, its what you make it to be.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 36yrs • M •
Your correct-the words right and wrong dont exist outside our brains...but they do exist.

Its not so much the word but what it implies. If your speaking of "right" and "wrong" in the human mind, then the terms meaning, will infact lie in the specified beings opinion of what these words mean.

But because these terms only exist inside our brain, it doesnt go to say, that what they imply doesnt exist universally or elsewhere.

"In this world, we are never lacking. Only losing what we have in hope of gaining what we dont."
 47yrs • M •
Dagga0wnzu is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
There is no absolute or universal Right and Wrong except in certain cases.

Right and Wrong are relative, like big and little. Big is Big compared to smaller things, but becomes little compared to bigger things. In that sense . . . its WRONG to kill someone, but its RIGHT to kill one person in order to save Millions of people . . . . (just an example, change it up as you see fit) but it DOES become absolute when used in conjunction to its absolutes . . . and becomes universal when its quantification becomes relative to the universe, (things too big to comprehend)

38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that 730 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
what?...you're contradicting yourself sir....if there's no absolute or universal right then there cannot be exceptions.. you're only conforming what is...to the "you"...what the "you" believes is right or wrong......then if that's so there IS a universal right or wrong.......I say there's none...and that's it's only dependent on the YOU.......and if it's the you that we're talking about it exists to every personality in this reality....... If killing is wrong...then the loss of one life to save millions is still wrong....because KILLING IS WRONG....it's the ultimate.. I don't believe it's wrong...and I don't believe it's right...I don't believe in anything....i'm just pointing out something to you... not attacking you in anyway.......thanks for reading...

"Being is not knowing!"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Do you believe there is really such a thing as a universal right and wrong? Or is it all just a system that we all have been programmed to believe?

I definitely do NOT believe there is such a thing as "right or wrong", in the traditional sense you are inquiring about: universally. Right and Wrong are just questions of morals, anyway, because I do not believe there to be anything judging us in the first place. And, if we are not to be judged, then the concept of "Right" and "Wrong" becomes irrelevant, because the only possibility something can exist as either of the two features a prerequisite of some thing, or some one, deciding one or the other to determine it as either.

If there is no power greater than me, and if I am no greater a power than anyone else (I believe both to be true), then Right and Wrong can simply not exist.

Morals are a cheap replica for Right and Wrong. This is why they are constantly refined over time. What may be accepted by the majority of a particular community may be considered taboo in another (community), or at least, during another era. Because of this, morals are not something I attempt to preach to others, and at most, I keep the few I possess to myself. I am fully aware that morals are simply "sketches" as to how we live our life, because each moral is, clearly, not definitely either Right or Wrong, as neither exist, universally.

And I agree with whomever it was that said justification had nothing to do with it. Justification is an entirely different argument (and one I would love to debate as well ).

"He who refuses to seek will never learn"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
you are contradicting yourself to say that there is no right or wrong

How can you be right about there being no right if at the same time you're saying that there is no right?

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
 36yrs • M •
exactly..

we dont determine a Right or Wrong.

only our opinions of.

"And I agree with whomever it was that said justification had nothing to do with it. Justification is an entirely different argument (and one I would love to debate as well )."

I believe justification can only be done through truth. Those attempting to justify themselves through their own set standards(or believe in no higher standard and or universal Right and Wrong) can not truly be justified in their own actions.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
you are contradicting yourself to say that there is no right or wrong

How can you be right about there being no right if at the same time you're saying that there is no right?

Who was it that said they were right or wrong about anything? I think the truth, just is. Right and Wrong implies good or evil, in that one decision is what "should happen", and another may be what "is happening", but shouldn't be (Right and Wrong, respectively). If there is no reason for anything to happen, and nothing to judge us for our actions, then Right and Wrong do not exist.

"He who refuses to seek will never learn"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
 36yrs • M •
Existence is all thats true-

but the standards we choose to follow(existing or not)-existing clearly because we can choose to follow them.

Can be those which are in the best interest of ourselves(obvously because we choose to follow them) and in the best interests of others well-being. A standard we can choose to follow by looking past our own opinions of existence.

The best way in allowing your opinion to not impose on the well being of others..is by limiting your accusations.

and this standard you follow, is justified in that, you dont limit yourself with opinion..especially your own.

permitting you to see more truth, which in turn,will allow you to justify yourself.

everyone has their own opinions of Right and Wrong( right and wrong)..so in order to see past opinion, and onto truth..you must follow a standard that surpasses opinion and works according to truth.

Universal Right and Wrong.

..and since no single person(and their opinion) can determine Universal Right and Wrong, the best we can do is follow a standard that doesnt allow our opinion, to impose on the judgement that others wish to use. Because in truth, they're only limiting themselves.

[  Edited by ekimup at   ]
 39yrs • M •
ekimtrawets is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Until a person reveals the standard by which they lable something a " truth", no one is wrong and everyone is right. Truth has to be based on a standard, the truth used to be the world was flat, upon further review, it was determined to be otherwise if.................. you believed the source and the evidence.

36yrs • M •

Your right, no one can be "wrong". But everyone can be "Wrong"(capital representing Universal Truth). because of their belief in their standard of labeling truth. Only limiting themselves.

"the truth used to be the world was flat,"

the world being flat was never true...it was only an opinion.(which proves opinion can only distort the truth)

Truth is based on Truth. Standards are created to follow it accordingly for those who dont understand it. And since no single man or women or infant child can concieve Truth and its definition beyond words, we can only hope to not limit ourselves so extensively with our own personal opinions.

..resulting in our own personal standard, where "everyone is right and no one is wrong". Assuming that our labels can grasp truth in its full form...

which is why we require a standard that surpasses a single person or persons opinions of truth. In order to aquire more truth, which in turn allows us to act accordingly and justifiably with the rest of existence.

39yrs • M •
ekimtrawets is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
The world being "round" is still an opinion, what makes something "Truth", someone presents evidence that convinces another that it is so?, until of course more compelling evidence comes along and moves the "Truth" into the opinion category and is replaced by the "new" and improved truth, I believe the "Truth" is the earth is oval, something so simple can still have another side to it, hmmmmm

Is There are real right and wrong? - Page 3
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy