Voila! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. - Hugo Weaving as "V"
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

A Great Man Passes - Page 2

User Thread
 59yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheIrishPagan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Lefty, notice I said 'the Pope', and not Pope John Paul. And no, I have not met him personally, but his apology for his predecessors' actions made me sit up and take notice, and follow him somewhat in the media. The Catholic Pope is also much more than a figure head, as they can set policy for the largest (at the moment) segment of the religious community, yes?

'Celebrity status' can be a good thing or a bad thing, someone with that status can influence large populations. Sports stars, movie stars, popular leaders, musicians, all certainly have public appeal and influence.

"Oops, it appears I have run over your dogma with my karma."
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"The Catholic Pope is also much more than a figure head, as they can set policy for the largest (at the moment) segment of the religious community, yes?"

No, thats the point of a figurehead, its a posistion in an ESTABLISHMENT that sets policy and directs influence through a figurehead.

Just like any pop culture icon or figureheads of political power, they do or say the wrong things (generally their real thoughts and feelings, or natural behaviors) to their fan base, then suddenly they're not so special anymore. But the establishment will remain.

From Prohpet to Patsy, depending on the weather.

My comment was for all who exalt anyone they can't possibly know well enough to do so.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 59yrs • M •
"No, thats the point of a figurehead, its a posistion in an ESTABLISHMENT that sets policy and directs influence through a figurehead."

Hmm, "figurehead" usually denotes someone who has no real power. If the Papacy, for example, came out and said "Gays are Ok, leave 'em alone', their would be many grumblings, and possibly another split off from the Church, but that would still be the policy of the Church, yes?

And whether it was exclusively by his own thoughts and ideas, or influenced by his many advisors, one cannot really downplay the positive things the past Pope accomplished.

46yrs • M
I thought I heard somewhere, who knows, that muslims were actually a majority, but hell if I know.

I remarked on a figurehead going against its base.

"And whether it was exclusively by his own thoughts and ideas, or influenced by his many advisors, one cannot really downplay the positive things the past Pope accomplished."

Firstly, by giving a single person credit for the acts of an organization is move in the direction of propaganda and fallacy. A stage show.

Second, just what do you accredit the pope with?

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 59yrs • M •
'Firstly, by giving a single person credit for the acts of an organization is move in the direction of propaganda and fallacy.'

I think we are missing a point. If they Cardinals come up with an idea, does not the Pope have the power to put the kibosh on that proposed policy? And if the Pope has an idea that his Cardinals do not agree with, does he not have the power to go over their heads?
---------------------------------------
'Second, just what do you accredit the pope with?'

You have your pulse on the world news, you tell me.

46yrs • M
No, I don't know these things, thats why I asked, I merely made point of peoples outpouring of personal sentiment as if they were family. And how Pope is still a posistion in an institution in referrence to power, I don't know how they work their power structure, if the entire church sways to a chosen man's whim, then so be it, I just didn't figure it worked that way, publicity is too dangerous of a double edged sword and fickle a beast for anyone these days, even the pope surely has a manager.

38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that 730 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
the big deal is influence. how much influence have you had on the world? a lot less than him i bet.

Do you know how happy I am for that??....when you don't influence, people think on their own....when they think on their own then enlightenment is easier to attain.......I don't want to influence anybody to do anything or to think anyway. Choose what you want...make your own decisions....treat examples as examples and make your choice not on influence but on acceptance!

"Being is not knowing!"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i couldnt agree with you more 730. i was merely stating what the "big deal" was to a lot of people. the pope was a great man for much different reasons though. reasons that are very much open for interpretation. the pope is a celebrity, but to many he was and is much more.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 46yrs • M
"the pope is a celebrity, but to many he was and is much more."

Ya, to many of these same people so is Bush, go figure.

A Great Man Passes - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy