Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

is the bible CONTRADICTORY?

User Thread
 39yrs • M •
AntiChristian is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
yes, it is
see [ 2 Kings 8:26 & 2 Chronicles 22:2 ]
2Ki 8:26 Two and twenty years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign; and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. And his mother's name was Athaliah, the daughter of Omri king of Israel.

2Ch 22:2 Forty and two years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign, and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. His mother's name also was Athaliah the daughter of Omri.

22 or 42 ???

I think he was [(22+42)/2] years old

35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that WanderingNobody is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I found that kind of interesting, so I went and looked it up. I don't know what your resources were because they are inaccurate, and the scriptures matched. You just looked it up wrong. No contradictions there.

"Crap. I lost my watch, now I'm lost in time."
 39yrs • M •
AntiChristian is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
How do we know the Bible is the word of God anyway.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 53yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Xris is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ultimately that will be a matter of faith.

However, I think the numerous prophecies, especially in Daniel, and their historical validity give added weight.

35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that WanderingNobody is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I agree. It is a measure of faith but you also have to consider the evidence found relateing to specific event in the Bible.

52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that I R Me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
WHAT?

the bible contradictory?

thats just crazy! everyone knows it is completly factual, unbiased and completly undisputibable in every fashion- to think otherwise is completly nonsensical....

"No one ever won a war by sitting in a ditch"
 38yrs • M •
Phoenix__ is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
it is clear, from the two verses, that the bible contradicts itself. the 1st verse say " Ahaziah was 22 years old " and the 2nd say " he was 42 years old ". is the word of God contradictory???!

[  Edited by Phoenix__ at   ]
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What is faith?

Some would define it as a glorified way of believing something for no good reason.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 34yrs • F •
Blood_princess is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
good point.
what is faith?
faith> noun 1complete trust or confidence. 2 strong belief in a religion. 3 a system of religious belief. Dictionary definition. So faith would be based on belief. And when you have faith, you believe in something that you can not touch (in a matter of speaking) and you cant see it or have a 2 part conversation with God. (again, in a matter of speaking) God is there, and just because the bible (like someone mentioned, it might have been a problem on your behalf) what you read is fact, and what you read and what you believe may not always be the same. what would it matter if it contradicts itself? its just a book, and its just a copy of the real deal. Jesus often contradicted himself also. it makes you think. God is a object of faith, and if you had any amount of faith, you would just take it with out much thought. Do a bit more research and you would most likly find many times where jesus says things that completly contradicts something he might have said earlier in his teachings
It is writen in Hebrews 11-1 : Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the Evidence of things not seen.
If you have faith in the Lord, and it turns out when you die that he is not real, what have you lost? Nothing. you had lived a good life and died. But if you dont put faith in God, and it turns out when you die, that he was (and he is!) real, then you have lost the chance to live in his excelence for the rest of eternity. so you make the choice? is the bible being contradictiory important to you? are you going to let your faith in God rest in contradictions?
I wouldnt put my life on it.

"Darkness Crawls trough my veins"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that patape is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
DO people still believe the bible has some relation to god more than anytihng else?? grow up already!! the bible (or crosses or jesus etc..) has nothing to do with god anymore than anything else does.. it might have something to do with the human stupid gullablness in the past 2000 years but thats it... realigion formed becaue of peoppes beliefs in god.. but to make bibles ... wait fiorst of all i wanted to say that ALMOST EVERY PART OF THE BIBLE IS A CONTRADICTION and STUPID!!! just base don logic reasinging whgy things like heaven and hell (for the basic basic eampel) are so stupid.. dont use the bible as a guide or youl be even more lost than you werem and oerhaps confident well maybe its good for that then no wait.. i dont know.

"no quote until i copyright it.."
 35yrs • F •
I think it's because we don't follow the Bible is why people are so messed up. They don't understand the Bible and they haven't studied it so they can't properly say what is right or wrong. What people believe to be right (like starting wars in the name of God) is just wrong. It's because they don't understand the concept about that particular scripture is in and they don't look up the refrences on it. It's all a misunderstanding and ignorant people.

53yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Xris is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
No one with a brain believes that their Bible is the actual Word of God. What they believe is that the Bible was expired (breathed out) by God and written by men who were inspired (breathed in) by God.

Of course what has happenned since has been effected by imperfect humans.

[  Edited by Xris at   ]
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the translation in to english surely caused more inaccuracies to develope.

people who dismiss the bible because of its imperfections miss the point of it entirely. nothing man made is perfect. perfection as humans view it is impossible in this world.

now if you want to scrutinize its historical validity and so forth, that is different. ultimately each individual can choose whether to blindly believe in anything or not. its very simple.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 39yrs • M •
according to (Matthew 1:13), Abiud the son of Zorobabel was the ancestor of Jesus

Matthew 1:13 And Zorobabel begat Abiud; and Abiud begat Eliakim; and Eliakim begat Azor;

according to (Luke 3:27), Rhesa the son of Zorobabel was the ancestor of jesus

Luke 3:27 Which was the son of Joanna, which was the son of Rhesa, which was the son of Zorobabel, which was the son of Salathiel, which was the son of Neri,

SOON, if it is God's will, i'll show you the great SURPRISE

1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy