Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

reincarnation - Page 2

User Thread
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Disenchanted is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hmm, I wrote an essay about this a short while ago.

Anyhoo, Buddha says:

1. Ignorance is the condition for mental formation.
2. Mental formation is the condition for consciousness.
3. Consciousness is the condition for name and form.
4. Name and form is the condition for the six senses.
5. The six senses are the conditions for contact.
6. Contact is the condition for feeling.
7. Feeling is the condition for craving.
8. Craving is the condition for clinging.
9. Clinging is the condition for becoming.
10. Becoming is the condition for birth.
11. Birth is the condition for aging and death.
12. Aging and death is the condition for ignorance.

There's a circular chain of causes. According to it, ignorance is what keeps us in the cycle of rebirth. We can understand the roots of our ignorance via generosity, mindfulness and meditation, etc. Anyways, rebirth is seen in a somewhat woeful manner, considering the fact that it's based in ignorance. According to the Buddha, he was freed from his ignorance, because he saw reality for what it was (thus freeing himself from suffering and the rebirth cycle). In other words, since he was freed from ignorance, the chain of events leading to a new birth couldn't take place.

We'll probably never know, but it's fun to ponder.

34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that the great focy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The meating of the people is daja vu. You actually have seen these people befor you just didn't give them any attention. As to the actions you just have seen it on TV or something such as when you where little and believe that you've done it before.

There is no such thing as a soul mate. You just have a want to mate and feel stongly twords whomever you have in mind.

No your wrong on the third paragraph.

There are no souls. You just think there are. You never heard of a soul and will forget about it. I repeat they don't exist.

There is no heaven nor reancarnation you just die. The "spark" that kept your brain working leaves it and becomes a little elf or maybe even a light bulb. Even better, a hullusintion.

"I can't believe I ate the whole thing"
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Disenchanted is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
The meating of the people is daja vu. You actually have seen these people befor you just didn't give them any attention. As to the actions you just have seen it on TV or something such as when you where little and believe that you've done it before.

Why would déjà vu with people be any different from with sights or actions? The bottom line is that there are still many possible causes, and none of them have been undoubtedly proven or else this wouldn't be under discussion.

quote:
There is no such thing as a soul mate. You just have a want to mate and feel stongly twords whomever you have in mind.

Many people share that view, but I hope you do realize that it can't be proven.

quote:
There are no souls. You just think there are. You never heard of a soul and will forget about it. I repeat they don't exist.

Bold statement. I'm beginning to wonder how you can be so firm in these beliefs without having evidence of any sort?

quote:
There is no heaven nor reancarnation you just die. The "spark" that kept your brain working leaves it and becomes a little elf or maybe even a light bulb. Even better, a hullusintion.

If the 'spark' becomes an elf or a light bulb, isn't that a form of reincarnation (and contradictory to the sentence you typed just prior to it?). I'd also like to ask that if there is no heaven/hell/afterlife of any form, then what's the point of our existence on earth?

Personally, I like to think that I'm here for more than to eat, sleep and disappear.

50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Photar is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:

I have seen too much evidence to the contrary to believe that.
You have no evidence. You are likely just piss-farting around with us anyway. No one can actually believe such a statement.
See you in Heaven.

"We are, all of us, in the gutter but some of us a looking at stars"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Photar: there is no direct evidence that souls exist, that we can collect as being part of reality. There is no direct evidence of reincarnation, nor heaven. The only certainty, is that peoples beliefs are provisional, and that one's beliefs are a human construct.

Towards, my thoughts- when we die we degrade into simple compounds and contribute to the everlasting carbon cycle. Nothing is created nor destroyed. Simple as that. At least this is known and proved through science. The ideology of reincarnation for me, is merely a superstitious thought, simply a symptom of human fear. This also applies to the rest of the ideology of spirituality. Most people fear the unknown.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 50yrs • F •
So many people have received messages from the dead, seen things that could only be from them. I have.

I don't understand how our unique awareness is just snuffed out, has no purpose. There are so many things science cannot explain. As soon as one thing is proven it is proven wrong. Receintly the scientific community admitted increasing evidence can be found for sentient creation of the universe and less and less evidence for the big bang of other accidental occurance especially new evidence on the differing ages of stars from the same nebuli. They have no explaination for this as according to what the experts know it's impossible. To say the universe, the Earth, us, were created by an big bang is like saying the Oxford English diction

Plus how do you explain people with memories of past lives way to detailed and accurate to be made up? Or people born with extraordinary gifts.

The more I learn about science the more I see how everything fits together. If you desire oblivion go for it. But that's not for me.
If you think all we are is a random collection of carbon you are deluding yourself and not looking past the surface of scientific thinking. Not even the scientific community that is all there is to us.
Any scientist who thinks they have all the answers is no scientist.

38yrs • M •
Photar: our lives do have purpose yet that doesn't provide qualification for reincarnation. It would be interesting if you could provide credible evidence for reincarnation.
quote:
To say the universe, the Earth, us, were created by an big bang is like saying the Oxford English diction

Is this to be taken metaphorically

quote:
Plus how do you explain people with memories of past lives way to detailed and accurate to be made up? Or people born with extraordinary gifts.

People who claim to remember a 'past life' are most probably either psychologically disturbed and/or brainwashed. In terms of very gifted people, this is usually a result of genetic mutation (a mechanism of evolution).

A scientist never claims all answers, only theories, unlike theologists.

31yrs • M •
browndruid is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Summit: I do not believe in reincarnation because I am afraid of death. I am not afraid of death because I believe in reincarnation.

If I let my desires control my beliefs, I would believe that nothing is beyond human knowledge, and that everything can be explained by science. You see, I am one who yearns to know all that I can. But I realize that I will never know some things, and that no one will ever know some things. I do not let greed control me. I have my morals.

"Someday, I will be guided to that place where everything is surrealistic. Or am I not real?"
 50yrs • F •
quote:

People who claim to remember a 'past life' are most probably either psychologically disturbed and/or brainwashed. In terms of very gifted people, this is usually a result of genetic mutation (a mechanism of evolution).

I was a normal enough child. No one talks to 4 year-olds about reincarnation. (except maybe Budhists). So is my cousin of the same age who remembered being a truck driver before his parents were born (his words). He could even tell them what trucks he had. More detailed recollections have come from others, down to names. Some children have even managed to convince relatives of deceived people they are that person as they know intimate things no stranger could, not even a parent intent on brainwash.

Theologists claim only faith. We believe in God. We do not know he is real. No one ever claims they do (at least not with any sanction from any church).

38yrs • M •
It doesn't matter what someone believes, until one will actually claim that they 'know the truth' about a certain situation such as reincarnation. The problem then arises that there is no scientific study, nor logical research that provides credible proof for reincarnation. Individual case studies, are far from valid, and even some would say rather feeble. Just remember that all belief systems are provisional.

50yrs • F •
So is science. How many "facts" have been proved only to be disproven later and possible go through this cycle many times. Nutrition is a classic example. Try finding a consensus on what human bodies need to consume to be healthy and watch your head explode.
Look at how many diets there are. Billions on reseach and we are no closer to a difinative answer yet no one says there must not be an answer. Yer no one ever says "there is no such thing as the perfect diet. It's mythical." They believe it's there even though there is no proof. Just maybe science cannot explain everything.
What then?

38yrs • M •
Well the diet debate is not indeed focussed on the real biological science, it is focussed on idiots trying to make money to sell their new idea or product.

In terms of the study of science. Well science, helps explain, explore and discover what is previously unknown to us within the natural realm. If we knew everything then there would be no point in the study of anything. There are varying degrees on what one would define as a 'theory'. Theories have many levels of acceptance. For instance the theory of gravity is pretty much accepted by all. However the theory of the big bang, is accepted by some scientists, and neglected by other scientists. Yes science is a field of curious debate. What then? research, research and more research.

33yrs • F •
xVenusx is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I just have one question im hoping someone can answer. i have believed in reancarnation my entire life but i didnt believe in god until recently, but now im confused. I still believe in reancarnation, i dont find heaven posible for me, but how can someone believe in god and reancarnation?

reincarnation - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy