Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

You cant handle the truth - Page 2

User Thread
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Religions for the most part have a set of values to live by, whereas if you accept no religion then the only values you have are what you decide and that creates a life of selfish ambition. How is conversion selfish?

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
conversion is not selfish, but holding your own beliefs, even atheism is not selfish. but belief that you are right and the other person is wrong is. no atheist, follows a system of rules that they create themselves, they mainly follow the logical ethical morals, and the laws of society. theo nly difference with the values that an atheist or a religious person has is that the atheist decides by what country they live in, and the religious person, by what religion they follow.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 39yrs • M •
quote:
but belief that you are right and the other person is wrong is

Wrong, this idea of being right when others are wrong is politically incorrect not selfish, and political correctness is simply a brainwashing technique that is so effective people actually want to be brainwashed by it.

36yrs • M •
no they dont, the only people who want political correctness are those who benefit from it. ie, women who are protected from daft jokes by men, that are not harmful, but are not that well liked. while they themselves are allowed to make jokes about us men.
mayb believing that your own belief is the one true belief is not selfish, but it does make it harder to get on with someone, because you know, that their fundemental belief is that you are wrong.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 39yrs • M •
Most of my friends have very different beliefs than I do and we all get along well. We spend some nights just arguing over philosophy and such but we respect each other and his or her opinions. And in the end we are closer than we were because you have gotten that much more insight into how the other thinks

41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Who is right and who is wrong?

CLassic.

I have two things that will halp me answer this

1) Intelligence: how successfull are your toughts when applied.
2) Whose values are correct? Hedonism I think is underestimated.

Interesting how this relates to the last thread posted before in the religion forum.

Ooh just as a side on political correctness...I would like to add:

The UK recognises there is a class distinction by the very fact it has a monarchy.

Think about this.

""No words""
 36yrs • M •
i see what your saying etheral, but in some cases the problem i mentioned occurs. for example, the limited times i talk to my dad about religion, i find his view very narrow minded at times, it makes him harder to get on with at the time, because he overlooks points that he has no answer to. it makes the debate pointless as no-one gets anywhere

39yrs • M •
But likewise you may be too opened minded and miss the simply answer. It is not easy to talk with open minded people either you know.

36yrs • M •
maybe i am too open minded, but i still think it is easier if someone will stop to consider your point before saying they dont agree. it is also better if they can provide some answer to your query further than, "my religion says", religions are changed by their leaders. the catholic church that had Paul as pope, was certainly radically different from the current catholic church.

39yrs • M •
I do consider other ideas and I can't say that you have been very convincing. My proof isn't in what my religion says but rather what my God says and does but since you cannot open yourself to this concept you will continue to berate my choice. And by the way what do Catholics have to do with this?

36yrs • M •
i have never accused you of not considering other ideas, or intentionally berated your choice. i was talking in generalities, though i can see now that you may have taken it as a personal attack.
i myself am christian insofar that i believe in the father son and holy spirit, therefore i am christian. but i have a dislike of organised religion, i think it is too poluted by outside influences, and also that ther has been so much pain caused in the name of organised religion that it should be universally scrapped.

41yrs • M •
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle.

Think about this quote, everyone, from all angles.

""No words""
 39yrs • M •
Well heyjme1 that quote would tend to denounce open mindedness because most open minded people that I have met try to accept all ideas into their mindset

41yrs • M •
The ideal is to have an open mind but with a sieve in that weaves allows truth to be accepted, lies to be rejected, but in any case remembers it all. The problem is that sieve.

Educated people are taught more ways so they have a plurality of ideas: but the more ideas the less certainty each one has. The uneducated mind has limited choices so is more likely to accept one given the balance of probabilities. But there is a mind that stands unique from all and that is your own self and this depends upon your level of skill to which (I will call) you are creative. It is true in some ways education destroys creativity. There are many little conclusions I may draw from these little few ideas here.

""No words""
 36yrs • M •
i would have said that being open minded that you accepted the possibility of all ideas, so as to consider them fully, but do not neccessarily have to accept all of the ideas.

i have at least half agreed with you on most things but i think your talking out the wrong orrifice on that one.

You cant handle the truth - Page 2
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy