Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Alcohol vs. Marijuana - Page 3

User Thread
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Y0D4 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I have recently quit marijuana but only cause i started playing school football and we get tested but i dont mind it was just something i did with friends.

But as for why beer is legal and marijuana isnt. The only real answer to that is because beer doesnt lead to anything when most heroine addicts or cocaine addicts start out as teens using marijuana. Im not saying that all marijuana users are going to end up being all time hard core drug addicts just most do and the government is trying to avoid that.

See if there was no other drug but marijuana then i think it would be legal seeing it does no harm on the body, it just leads to other drugs which people try to avoid by not legalizing cannibus.

"Loving someone that doesn't love you is like reaching for a star, you know you'll never reach it but you just got to keep trying"
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that littlelady89 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the great thing about pot is it gives u a great feeling and u still have complete control over your body, where alcohol u get a great feeling, but when u do something like get behind the wheel, u have absolutely little to no control over the vehicle, but when u smoke pot and drive it makes u more focused on what your doing, and if anything it makes u drive like a granny. that's what it does to me anyway.

"free country my ass."
 71yrs • M •
Ignatius is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Pot is the wedge business and government needed to practice voyeurism. Give us your piss so we can peek into what you are doing in the privacy of your life.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that JoelB is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
old thread..

but i think the real question is why is tabbaco LEGAL..?

Killing 440,000 americans a year. Much more then pot and alcohol combined.

"Aint flashed a smile in a long while...."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think I've said this in another thread but this is what I think.

Alcohol- high potential to harm you, makes you stupid, ect..

Weed- very low potential to harm you, makes you smarter in most cases, etc.

What would the government do if we had 300 million people in this country thinking for themselves and questioning things that they don't want them to question.

I know some people don't buy into it, but I really do believe in a very subtle government control/conspiracy that they want things like alcohol and cigarettes to be legal because - 1. it's addicting and ensures consumers mainly. 2. leads to obediency (if that's the right word?)

Since weed is not nearly as mentally addicting as cigarettes or alcohol, and absolutely not chemically/physically addicting, consumers could stop at the drop of a hat and would ruin businesses if millions just randomly quit.

When it really comes down to it, it has almost everything to do with big businesses. Weed just doesn't hold the consistancy like cigarette and alcohol businesses try to possess. So the more profit they make, the more the government will make. They nit-pick every single aspect of the three, and basically tell the government what's going to happen, or they're not going to get the money they need "to run the country".

cigarettes and alcohol kill more people than anything(not literally, maybe?) but apparently the government is willing for that to happen, just so they can make as much money as they can AND pretend like they have control over the people in this country.

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Chained Wings is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Youre actually a litle off the ball there Mugen. But close.

In the early 1900s marijuana was made illegal for one reason.

Big business.

You see Indian hemp (or 'weed' as you know it) has been used for centuries to make rope and rigging for sails, all manner of things- even clothing. It is a far superior plant in terms of strength and versatility than cotton.

But we all know the good ol' cotton farmers who had enough power to cause Americas only civil war to keep their slaves wouldn't be the type of people to sit idly by as the introduction of Indian hemp destroyed their cotton industry.

So they made a deal with the government. Oooh a conspiracy. Yes a real one this time.

The plantation owners, who went to the same version of golf clubs with the governors and lawyers and big wigs of that time, decided the Indian hemp industry had to go.

But how?

Well, at the time, most of the pickers of hemp were Mexican immigrants and they had a litle habit of chewing and smoking the leaves while they worked.

Those in power decided to focus on this and use the 'devious Mexicans' and their 'degenerate ways' as a reason to ban Indian hemp.

Propaganda movies like Reefer Madness were made to show that taking marijuana made you loose control, go insane, and become Satans very own circus freak.

Eventually, just as Bush said weapons of mass destruction, evil Iraqis and anti-Americanism were the right reason to invade Iraq - the Bushes of that time said drugs of mass hallucination, evil Mexicans and their un-American habits, were the reasons the Indian hemp plantations had to be closed down.

Im sure a speech (In all instances those in power want to convince the moronic masses that what they are about to do is for those masses own good.) would have been used along the lines of:

"We are saving this country from a very real threat. One that has the power to tear our society and all we stand for apart at its very seams."

Basically, the government made marijuana illegal to put the Indian hemp growers out of business, so the cotton industry and all those rich powerful southern plantation owners could keep their stranglehold on the market.

It was a conspiracy. But nothing in the way many of you think.

Alcohol was illegal in America at one stage too. It was called the Prohibition Era. But it didn't stop people going to illegal drinking halls and it didn't stop organized crime making a killing (literally) off the selling of alcohol in America.

I think the fact that all over the world humans have made their own form of fermented drink for relaxation purposes, and drink has been around and part of nearly every culture for so long, when you try to cut it off from them they rebel.

Marijuana was never as widespread as alchohol at the time of its banning, being mainly an eastern drug at the time.

"When I was a child I flew! Then as an adult- I watched others soar."
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Chained Wings is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I want to make it clear I dont care what drugs people take, as it's their own body. I favor no drug over another. They all have their pros and cons.

But I have to disagree on a couple of points Mugen. (Which will probably be a first between us two.)

Firstly, I dont think marijuana makes people more intelligent. I think it makes the majority of people who smoke it dumber. They become lazy and paranoid and forgetful and a whole bunch of other things.

Perhaps for someone like yourself, it expands your mind.

But the 'average' stoner, who gets wasted, sits on the couch watching MTV his entire life and never has an original thought in his life.

Yes it can expand your mind. But it's more the 'rare individual' who will 'think for themselves' as you put it.

Im not putting marijuana down, alcohol has just as many drawbacks and screws people up too. Im just stating that just because a few rare people like yourself take it and find it works for them does not mean that the words 'stoner', 'stonhead' or 'wastoid' weren't made with the sole intent to describe people who have become zombies due to their incessant drug smoking.

If I was a government and wanted to control the masses with drugs Id let them smoke weed.

A nation of people too wasted to care about the government and too mellow to do anything if they did care, are alot less trouble than a nation of drunk, belligerent alcoholics.

And when you say what would happen if eveyone suddenly stopped using weed becuse it isnt addictive. Do you really belive eveyone out there who enjoys thier drug of choice would just stop overnite for some bizarre reason?

If it was legal (as it is in amsterdam) the governments and large bussineses would make money off it, just as they do off alchohol and tobbacco- with no fear of the nation giving it up any time soon.

Look at alot of concerts etc that turn into riots. Usually the thing that fuels that is alcohol. You get a large group of people together and get them all drunk and chances are they will rebel. Alot more often than a group of hippies at a Pink Floyd concert.

So I dont buy into alcohol being used to make people compliant and happy. Quite the opposite.

I think that over the centuries there have been many artists writers and thinkers who have had a drug of their choice. Be it alcohol, marijuana, LSD, cocaine, ecstasy, heroin etc.

It helped their creative side and worked for them on their own level.

But the great majority of people who take drugs end up stupider than they already are.

I dont think if any drug in particular were to be made legal it would change the world, start a revolution or anything in any way radical.

Most people are stupid and do stupid things; whether they take weed, tobacco, alcohol or aspirin.

I think the complexity of the human mind and how some drugs work for some people and dont work for others will always ensure you won't have any of the modern day drugs being used as a means for inciting a blanket rebellion, or dosing the masses into obedient conformity.

"When I was a child I flew! Then as an adult- I watched others soar."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Perhaps for someone like yourself, it expands your mind.

^__^;; sorry I re-read this thread and I do realize the mistakes you pointed out, and it turns out I agree with you I came home from work at 7:30 in the morning and saw this, so my mind was definitely not comprehending things properly.

But I did say they had -potential- to do those things, cause I hate speaking for everyone by assuming my words are fact...

quote:
And when you say what would happen if eveyone suddenly stopped using weed becuse it isnt addictive. Do you really belive eveyone out there who enjoys thier drug of choice would just stop overnite for some bizarre reason?

What I was trying to get at was that weed doesn't have the level of being addictive that big businesses are looking for like in cigarettes and alcohol. I think it's a potential they would much rather avoid completely, rather than ride on the fact that some if not most would not give up their drug of choice because it's such a good experience, ya know? That's all weed is, a good experience. (to me) People who are addicted to cigarettes and alcohol don't necessarily have the luxury of quiting at the drop of a hate- like a pot smoker would. I think that's what the government and those businesses like.

Thank you for clearing most of that up though, ChainedWings.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that JoelB is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Since weed is not nearly as mentally addicting as cigarettes or alcohol, and absolutely not chemically/physically addicting, consumers could stop at the drop of a hat and would ruin businesses if millions just randomly quit.

Actually, weed is addicting, physically, mentally, and chemically. Learning about it in college ^^

"Aint flashed a smile in a long while...."
 34yrs • M •
quote:
not nearly as mentally addicting

I retract my previous post and should say that for all angels of addiction. I should have known better to speak in absolutes.

I personally am not physically addicted, nor have I ever met or heard of one who is.. in my area. I keep forgetting how vague and/or specific I have to be on here.

34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that littlelady89 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i can also say that i have never met anyone who is addicted to marijuana. i'm sick of reading articles about drugs where they put heroin and marijuana in the same category, when marijuana is a completely natural plant. i don't know anyone who would suck dick for pot.

"free country my ass."
 34yrs • F •
DanaDuh is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Alcohol is so much worse than Marijuana.

Point blank. This Untied States of America is stupid. Full of conservitive Christian Republicans who have their minds closed to anything new.
I really would love to talk more on this subject but, I would rather just keep it to myself.

""My friends, My Habits, My Family they mean so much to me.""
 34yrs • M •
quote:
I would rather just keep it to myself.

why?

40yrs • F •
dreydog19 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Ive been reading the posts. I am not a supporter of abusing any drug-be it alcohol or pot. I guess when the use of either causes you to have difficulty w/ your family or faith then there is something wrong.

My friend's dad grows cannabis in his backyard, has sketchy friends over and smokes it in the barn. They have incouraged him to quite because the risk of all these things put on the family and he can't. Evidently he is addicted to it, much like someone who is addicted to alcohol.

But I believe that question really is...why would you want to make something legal and available for anyone, when it can cause some of the same (or similar) problems as abusing alcohol?

Any ideas on how to test someone who is driving while high? I know alot of people can drive fine while high (if they are used to pot) but I know if I was stoned I would not do well. Could this be why they don't want to legalize it?

I've tried pot multiple times...but it makes me paronoid...any ideas?

34yrs • M •
Dime333 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
If Canabis itself isnt addictive it is often smoked with tobaco, which is part of the addiction. But mainly the addiction is mental. Unlike the addiction to alcohol.

Rehabilition from alcohol dependancy, is worse then any other kind of drug, legal or otherwise, in terms of the withdrawal symptoms and the length of time, before being considered "clean"

I dont think it would be possible to realistically make alcohol ilegal. It is too engrained into society. In England, binge drinking and underage drinking is becoming more common and becoming more of a problem. I dont think there are many measures that can be introduced, by government that will stop this.

I think things that will help alohol abuse is to introduce people at a younger age, supervised, and with meals, similar to the french way of doing things.

But i dont think alchol or canabis use and over use will ever stop. and so there will always be the health problems that go with them.

"How can there be any logic in biological war"
Alcohol vs. Marijuana - Page 3
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy