You can't truly see the connections between things so how do you truly know they exist? - gothabomber
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Gay Marraige, For or Against?

User Thread
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Do we have the right to say no? Where is the basis for this argument, religion? Then why is it allowed to be such a political and legal issue?

And a commonly asked question associated with this topic as well as a fundamental reason for being for or against, is homosexuality a choice? If not, then how can we even think we have the right to tell anyone no?

The question is politcally presented as a challenge to the sanctity of marraige, so says Bush. What is he talking about and what is it that he is afraid will happen?

I personally don't get what the big deal is, maybe you can tell me.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Domz0r is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I aint got anything against it, anyone should have the right to marry some one (the ultimate step of dedication and love) that they care for.

But i do belive there should be limitations, like for instance, gay couples adopting children.

Some people may strongly disagree with me, but psychological (SP?) effects could be rather major

"I am Domz0r....roar!!!!"
 46yrs • M
Don't worry that is a super hot topic but all I'll say about you personally is that you should keep an open mind, thats a pessimistic view, wary, cautious, which is respectable, however like anything there is also the great possibility of tremendous benifits.

Please hear me out on this, its personal. I don't know if you are familiar with the adoption and foster care system at least here in america. But I have some experiece with it and its not good. My ex even ended up a case worker so I even know more than I did. What this gets at is that this system is really scary right now. There are good homes but there seem to be a staggaring amount of abusive homes that get used anyway cause there is no room for these kids and no one wants to take them in, so the government pays foster care people, and supposedly they get backround checks I think but the horror stories I've heard, I ended up with grandparents, I still ended up getting abused more, but my siblings ended up in foster care and one ended up adopted, one ended up dead, my sister says the foster family was off doind drugs of some sort and that he drowned in a river and she almost did too, then she was sexually abused (first by someone in my family according to exams) then by her foster step dad, then beaten by a foster brother, who she beat back but it still warrants mention.

I don't know too much about the other sisters adopted life, the little sister can talk to her, I can't, her parents won't let me, she's 18 now too, all I've heard really about her life is that her parents do the total privacy invasion policy, which I won't debate, just the excessive stuff like taping phone calls and reading all email and mail, really controlling type thing, I don't know abuse there though, but adoption is different people pay for that, foster care they get paid, they don't necessarily want kids just money.

What this has to do with the gay abortion thing is, these are going to be (as long as "normal" and healthy people) loving people who WANT a kid, and from what I've heard most kids of that situation are quite happy, they like having people who care, they don't care about sexuality any more than color. As for psychological, do people fear they will become gay? Or gay haters? No one knows (that I know of) why those things happen or that there is anything wrong with it, other than the hating, being taught to hate and having bad experiences can do that.

Parents are by no means (unless child is locked inside a house) the only human contact or source of learning about life that children encounter. School is number one.

Kids need loving homes with people who want kids. There are homeless and abused children right now in need oh homes, any home, don't take that away from them.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i dont think being gay is a choice, although there may be exceptions out there.

i think anyone should be able to get married, i dont really understand how tax benefits work and everything, but that is the only problem i see with allowing gays to be married... i mean many people who arent gay could end up getting "married" just for the benefits.... i dont know, its tricky.

statistics show that children who grow up with two mothers or fathers are actually less likely to be gay... very curious. thats not to say other emotional/mental problems may not arise... i think it is a subject which needs further study before anyone can make judgements about it.

also there are some twisted people out there, if two people of the same gender (not neccisarily gay either) are allowed to adopt children... well i dont know about everyone else, but i can see where problems could come up quickly and easily.

i am becoming more and more familiar with the adoption agencey as i have a sister who is living under a kinship with us. the more i learn, the more i dislike the whole thing.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Cheriss is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Love knows no Legalese or religious Reich right or wrong Love's only desire is to fulfill itself. Be that Straight Couple or Gay couplesit matters notonly that love has been found and is wished to be expressed in the All consuming and total commitment of marriage. I find it beautifuol for any couple.

Personally I think after having been married once before and divorced from my husband now that ALL couples Gay or straight go through some sort of marriage counceling to see if marriage is REALLY the right step for them.

Adoption should be handled the same way for any couple... a counceling sessions and training classes especially if the child or children being adopted have medical mental or emotional problems or quirks.

Just my opinion after years of marriage to a Bi husband and having several gay friends as well as dealing with children of adoption and the families that adopted them.

"B**** Not just a Title Its a way of life"
 46yrs • M
I'm not sure what you meant by what problems could arise, if you mean child molesters, trust me, gender isn't an issue, nor couples or friends of same sex, there is more than enough straight married couple sexual abuse to go around, and is probably the majority.

As for benefits that applies to non gay marriage and is irrelevant.

50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that thoughtmanifest is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I agree that marriage is about two people loving each other, gay couple or straight couple.

I know a kid (he's now 20 or so) who was raised by his grandmother and her friends (mostly women, mostly feminists, some lesbians) and he is a very feminine young man. Is he gay?... I don't know but I'm sure if he is it had nothing to do with being raised that way. The fact that he's feminine though could very well be because he lacked masculine influence but I don't think that would lead to being gay.

The reason some feel they have the "right" to say no to gay marriage is because marriage is a religious ceremony and being gay is against some religion's beliefs. But many churches are open now to gay ministers, etc. so things have changed mostly in that regard but there are still fundamentalists.

"Love everyone, question everything and look up!"
 50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that thoughtmanifest is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think it is possible to be born gay although I think that there are also gays who have chosen to live that lifestyle for a variety of reasons, one of them being abuse from the opposite sex.

There is a series on CBC right now called Past Life Investigations. The creator of the show started the whole experiment not believing one way or another in past lives and many of the "subjects" didn't believe or disbelieve that theory either... here's the point...

One of the "subjects" was gay (60 years old or so) and the past life that they uncovered through hypnosis was his most recent life where he lived in Ireland, born into a strict Catholic family. He was gay and because he was never accepted by his family or community, he committed suicide (double whammy in the Catholic's eyes). He was buried in a different cemetery other than the Catholic one because he wasn't considered a "true Catholic". In this life he believed, after all of this had been uncovered, that he chose to be gay again to learn to live it differently and accept the fact that he was gay. He still went through a lot of bullshit because he was gay but he persevered and therefore "conquered" that lesson, one of self acceptance.

46yrs • M
You don't choose to be gay because you are abused, not likely, you can't handle the other sex usually under that kind of circumstance, not by choice either.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i didnt mean to imply that gays or any particular gender was more like to be a molester, i just meant that it may be easier for the to gather. i dont know though, dont have any experience in that whole matter.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 46yrs • M
gather? well what are you saying, just curious, I'm not sure I understand.

39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that bmxbiker16 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I could care less if one was gay or not, I say let em marry

"I may disagree with what you say, but i'll defend to the death your right to say it"
 50yrs • F •
Leftwood... "You don't choose to be gay because you are abused"

I know a couple of women who were sexually abused by men as children and, although they are attracted to men, they have chosen to have an intimate relationship and partnership with a woman.

46yrs • M
Right they are attracted but have an uncontrollable aversion to, it is far more traumatizing or just insecure and allows little chance for a healthy relationship.

Besides, that's kinda bi-sexuality, and I said it wasn't likely, there are always exceptions to the rule. Just the same as if they were to finally meet a decent guy, and then have heterosexual relations.

I don't know if Bi-sexuality, or chosen sexual preference, fits in the same category as gay, as say born gay.

I guess the topic should also be worded as Same sex marriage, not just gay marriage, I think there is a difference.

I see your point though, hopefully you see how I understand acknowledge and even counted the factor, it was just how I worded my statement.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Does it matter if it is a choice?

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy