Enlightenment is like the Moon reflected on the water. The Moon does not get wet, nor is the water broken. - Tashakat
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Ignorant Voting the Death of Democracy

User Thread
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
During Presidential elections, fairly exclusively, people are bombarded by the notion that they need to be responsible citizens and get out and vote.

The problem is, people don't know what they are voting on or who they are voting for, and are not given the best means of going about the entire process, be it getting information or physically voting.

Since the known or understood beginings of Democracy it has been said that democracy will fail when the voters lack the necessary information, as well as the understanding of this information needed to make an informed decision.

Anyone who thinks that just getting everyone out to vote is going to change the state of our so called democracy is sadly mistaken. But that isstill the only point I hear being stressed.

In terms of what information is available to the general public and very importantly what sources we have for this information is a key issue.

T.V. has been long argued to be a harmful medium, rightfully or not, in terms of content and effects on the general activity levels, as well as the influence on actions and decisions of people since its inception.

I say this to point out the irony of TV's current importance.

This country is going to, once again, elect our next president primarily from what information they gather from T.V.

Regardless of pre-concieved notions and feelings about TV as a medium, there is no doubt that information provided by it is questionable to say the least, really no different than information from the mouth of any human.

Sensationalism, if it bleeds it leads, personal bias, as well as a competitive popular market reliant upon sponsors and the tempermental nature and tastes of the viewers, governmental cencorship and other possible influence, far more dictates what information we have available and how it is presented to us.

One other point about the levels of active voters in this country, I feel, can be helped if not solved by seriously revising the actual physical voting process.

I understand the need for security in the area of keeping votes legitamite, but we have problems with that already.

What I'm saying is that with the change in times and especially the physical growth of the nations and cities themselves, there need to be, and inevitably will be, changes to the process.

The one that comes to mind off hand is, if this country can vote on a new "American Idol" from home then I feel that we need to get on the ball to get this type of system in place for presedential elections and other voting situations, I have heard of some programs but I do not know of their current status of availability or use.

At one time that would be a suggestion that may imply laziness on the part of the voters, however, with the growth of cities and populations this is becoming more a necessity.

In another time it made more sense to have voting set up as it is now, due to security as well as available forms of travel and communication, however now, with more people, less space, and better communication mediums available, those points have shifted and it is time for a change, leaving security as the main issue, which as I stated is a problem anyway.

I make that point because it is one of the biggest issues affecting voter participation and turn-out. While another of course is the afore mentioned ability to make informed decisions on topics that are often not even able to be understood by the general public, if even accessible to them.

Why are these issues not more readily addressed by those so strongly pleading for people to vote, or the news, or somebody.

Please let me know if I am I mistaken or if you believe this to be a genuine and serious issue.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
[  Edited by Ironwood at   ]
 55yrs • F •
unja is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Democracy... who wins elections? the candidate who spends the most on his ad campaign. kind of like who's going to win in court? whoever has the more expensive lawyer.
I heard about extensive research that indicates that 90% of the past presidents were from the same blood line. Kinda makes you go "Hmm"
Call me a conspiracist but that's not how i would define justice or a democratic society.

"You have a problem with me? Good luck with your problem."
 46yrs • M
Ya, this is all said "assuming" that the whole process isn't completely rigged.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
dicey at best eh?
Paradox: honest politicain?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 46yrs • M
ya, the whole how do you know when a politician or lawyer is lying ( there mouth is open)

72yrs • M •
I was surprised thatt after the debate, not seeing a thread dealing with how people preceived the candidates?
I watched the debate then watched post debate interviews, amazing to hear how differently people see the same event!

46yrs • M
ya i was fired up wanting to talk about it too, almost started a thread, for the most part it seems people just saw what they wanted to see, if you liked one guy, he did better. though the concensus seems to be that Kerry took that debate, just didn't win the election over it, more just got back in the race.

[  Edited by Ironwood at   ]
 46yrs • M
Ok, we have now had the VP debate, and there is tons of this and that being sad still and again, and I again ask how sure people are of the information they get and its sources, when making these claims of facts, this goes for anyone, and yet I hear nothing on this, I guess they are content knowing that they know everything, cause the TV told em so. Look out bible, a new source of blatant innacuracy, inconsistency, and biased influence may be gunning for the throne.

46yrs • M
Seriously, ignorant voting, are you guilty, do you care, is this how things should be done? Shall we continue to condone lying untill all trust has dissolved?

72yrs • M •
Ya, know what ya mean, there are some admendments on the ballot. I have seen the signs vote for this or don't vote for that, so I went looking for these proposed admendments . . . not to good at this information age thing,
I still haven't found the information?

46yrs • M
Hehe, no worries

I just wish some people would take a sec to answer the question, with all the debate on politics in here even I am slightly baffled that no one post in here. Like no one cares or they don't think this is a problem.

56yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Patrish is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Poli = many
tics = blood sucking pests

Stands to reason what it is all about.

ANYWAY,,,,,
quote:
The problem is, people don't know what they are voting on or who they are voting for, and are not given the best means of going about the entire process, be it getting information or physically voting.

This bothers me plenty. Folks are as you say, relying heavily on the media system for what they feel is accurate information.

However, they do not see the behind the scenes, they dont see both the records thus far.
They dont even know the bills that passed, who passed them, who voted or WHO MISSED VOTING on the very important issues.

Yep yep, I love listening to talk radio, perusing the web for info, paying close attention to debates, and looking up records. I used to watch satellite, and watch as congress assembled, and voted.

I make my decisions based on alot of information, and it almost MUST be researched thoroughly b4 making a national choice of who or in some cases...WHAT will be leading us.

"Life is full of lemons, and the lemonade is sweet."
 46yrs • M
That's very comforting to hear pat, and your joke was great.

But still, if you are a Bush fan it seems that you might be more concerned with his backround then, and if you are say better informed, then why doesn't his past bother you, personal, businesss, family, and political? Do you think he represents a good role model as a parent, do you think the presidental office is even set up for good parenting, or at that level is just all nannies anyway and how ok is that by some standards?

And I'm glad to see someone cares about our freakin voting system, with the election impending, I was thoroughly surprised by the lack of interest in this part of the subject.

72yrs • M •
quote:
Like no one cares or they don't think this is a problem.

http://www.captaincynic.com/thread.php3/frmid=23-u-thrdid=18882-u-page=0
No one seem to want election reforms, at least it is not an issue to the people of Fla., I jest to think they have it fixed?

46yrs • M
Well, folks since our presidents are chosen by how well they perform of TV I feel I should remind those whom it concerns that the 2nd of 3 debates is on tonight, and after general views of the democratic wins (though slight) in both the 1st debate as well as the vice presidential debate, this could be the biggest and most important event in the presidential race and of their campaigns, this one could almost decide the presidency.

Saw another swift boat add, man those guys are slime balls, makes you think Kerry should take up where Moore left off in talking about Bush's true goals in life, business money and oil (I think he's out to destroy as many businesses as possible, haliburton will probably go under just cause Bush's name gets associated with it and the USA itself if viewed as a business like I'm sure he sees it is well on track for this), and the deep family tie with the saudi royal family and what appears more and more to possibly be true, this whole thing about the Bush family fortune being made from helping Nazi's in war time no less. And this is our president? Twice over (Bush Sr.). Not that I would hold the Nazi thing against him without very good reason, but the whole oil issue is not to be undermined or overlooked, not one tiny little friggin bit. Ya know about the oil scandal with the UN and allies right, how Saddam used oil for food or whatever program to buy off france and whoever, Pat FYI thats why they want nothing to do with Kerry, well, I figure it stands to reason that the only reason our country is aware of this scandal is because of Bush's own lust for oil. Quite honestly though, short of war I don't blame anyone for a lust for oil especially the leader of our country, because we use a lot and need it untill we do get better forms of fuel (which is probably being held back as conspiracy theories would have you believe because of the craziness it would unleash on the global economy). But ya, none of that includes me condoning invading a country for oil, but this thing about the oil scandal and UN is more important than one might at first think.

IMO the UN ( American led or not) Needs to be what it is supposed to be and that means not corrupt, same with us if we are going to try to lead it as well as if we are going to survive as a country or lead the world.

1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy