Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

How the Catholic Church evolved.

User Thread
 56yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Patrish is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
You need acrobat to open these sites.

This is the early church until 700 AD
http://www.stjohnadulted.org/History1.PDF

This is 700 til 1500 AD
http://www.stjohnadulted.org/History2.PDF

Will submit more, but have to post quickly, so I do not lose my posts...AGAIN!

Reformation of the church....aka Protestantism...Orthodoxy, Puritism, Pietism....

http://www.stjohnadulted.org/History3.PDF

"Life is full of lemons, and the lemonade is sweet."
[  Edited by Patrish at   ]
 56yrs • F •
This shows the complete history...warts and all.
Again, the Roman Catholic church was the first church.

56yrs • F •
http://www.stjohnadulted.org/history.htm

Here is the entire site to save to favorites to go through at your own paces.

Hope this gives an eye opener to the history of Christian doctrine.
And as much, the Catholic church, although argued against, was and shall always be the 1st church of Jesus.

St John said, "Do not welcome them in, those who have strange doctrines.'

Now, caveman, the 30 year war was Catholics and Lutherans vs Calvinists.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I wouldn't oversimplify.
It is certain the Roman Catholic Church was one of the first, but that doesn't take away the fact it was an oppressive and greedy institution during the middle-ages.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 56yrs • F •
Ahhhh, true, but let's consider that man is intrinsicly evil and good. And tho we all struggle...sometimes, we lose the battle.

And tho men are as men will be....faults do exist.

I can see the problems we have thru men, but the divine sacredness is still in the church...

64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
theory - man is bad but church is good. Goodness will overtake evil and leave only good church. Interesting.

It's called Roman Catholic because it started in Rome. The church did not start in Rome.

I question even the strangest things. Where is the original church of the 12 apostles? Reading other scriptures that were left out of the bible has lead me in this direction. Look for the secret gospel of Mark. You won't find but a small fragment of it left. But what you will find is a letter from Clement. A very interesting letter that discribes a church that practiced things and taught things that nobody can explain to me today. That has lead me to believe that that true church is no longer here. Instead is what we have is a lot of churches trying to be the true church and everyone dissagreeing about what that might be.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 56yrs • F •
quote:
It's called Roman Catholic because it started in Rome. The church did not start in Rome.

Did you perhaps NOT read what I gave?

The split off from the eastern church...also in Rome...was originally Catholic...because Catholic means universal.

Anyway...the first church was NOT FRIGGIN IN ROME...!!!
THIS IS WHERE THE PAPACY IS....AND THUS IS CALLED ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH....

Now, did you see that. because if memory serves me...I SAID SOMEWHERE B4, THAT ROME WAS WHERE PETER EVENTUALLY RESIDED...BUT NOT THE FIRST PLACE OF WHERE THEY INSTITUTED CHURCH....

Matter of fact........THE FIRST PLACES OF WORSHIP WERE IN HOMES!!!!

Consequently, they begand building churches...after they had the means to.

61yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that imn2caves is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
[because Catholic means universal.]

...And Orhtodox means 'correct belief'. The 2 terms weren't even used until the 4th century.

"No one died when Clinton lied!"
 56yrs • F •
BUT, caveman, Universal means all were belonging to.
And all were believing the same....etc

Yes, I know they did NOT have specific names, but because the church was to be put in all nations, and believed the same, they were called Catholic...after the divisions.

Only because they had to become distinct.

History speaks for itself, and of itself. My brother prefers the Bizentine (sp) church, also a division of RC, however, they follow under the same Pope. NOT sure about the Orthodox.
And they do believe in the transubstansiation of the Eucharist. Which if I am correct, so do the Orthodox.

So...although our churches were divided, our hearts are of ONE mind....or so would be a perfect world if it were true.

Peace!

72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Petri, no i haven't yet looked at the linked site. But you may believe what you wil,I still go with OkCity about it may be the oldest church to survive. The christians moved on because they were persecuted (killed) or driven out & they weren't catholic churches.
Also their is a difference in terminolgy, the Church is the people not the building or institution according to Protestant types.
quote:
And they do believe in the transubstansiation of the Eucharist
Not being Catholic, not familiar with that term? Eucharist = body of Christ?
Looked at first link seems the earliest date was in 300+ A.D.
Did find something interesting the arian movement thought Jesus was the highest angelic being, not GOD?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 64yrs • M •
U use the same argument as the Baptist who claim also to be the first. As a matter of fact, I think most churches claim to be the first on that train of thought. But you cannot connect the organization of those who lived in the catacombs and the essenes to the Catholic church. But you can say, yes, we believe the same things, because you think you do, and so does every other church.

61yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that imn2caves is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
[Did find something interesting the arian movement thought Jesus was the highest angelic being, not GOD?]

I wrote about this to all of you before. If you're interested in the conflict, there is a great book called 'When Jesus Became God'. It has alot of very insightful facts, all backed historically by the links that Patrish provided. What her links do not provide are the powerplays, murders, riots and revolts involved in the struggle.

Patrish, and peace to you. You really should expand your historical awareness though. There were afterall thousands of years of humanity before Jesus. I'm not trying to change your belief in religion, I don't subscribe to that. But learning that a Pharoh of Egypt (King Tuts father-in-law) was the first recorded Ruler/monotheist put religion in a different light.

"No one died when Clinton lied!"
 56yrs • F •
Cturtle, b4 the protestant rising up, the church was considered Christian...
But with the division, it became a necessity...and the term..NOT name was Catholic, meaning, Universal.

So it became the universal church vs the Lutheran church. Luther himself was a priest.
He...being a man, decided he could not prescribe to what the church was about.
Was he correct in forming divisions? Only God does know.

Okcitykid...."The Baptists derive from two different streams. Particular Baptists usually claim a line of descent that goes back to the Reformers. General Baptists and Landmark Baptists trace their descent from the Anabaptists.
The Baptists are probably the most diverse of all denominations. The Particular Baptists have produced several fine theologians, including John "

http://www.gty.org/~phil/baptist.htm

Again, Okcity, only the Catholic church has and can claim being the first church.

yes, ct, I saw where they also threw away icons, returned them, denied the Divinity of Christ, but returned to it again.

In the times you see the conflict of 'theology' it notedly always returns back to the original state of belief.

I mark that as a period of error of men's judgement...and they always return back....AGAIN AND AGAIN..

This gives me trust, that although evil may attempt infiltration with the failing of men's understandings...does show Chirst is watching over the church to keep it on the path to truth and free from apostasy.

Even today, Satan makes all attempts at destroying the churches.
I myself can see how temptation to human lusts can infiltrate the church...and when temptations are given into...then the men of God are corrupted and when they are corrupted
this causes the masses to be confused and led away.

The priests are finding themselves divided again in some ways. Be it over Communions served to reprobates, and what nots, or those who succumb into vile desires....

I shall pray for them...that the spirits of hate for God will not succeed in leading astray yet another soul.

64yrs • M •
quote:
First Ecumenical Council -- Nicaea I
SITE: Nicaea (in N.W. Asia Minor)
YEAR: A.D. 325
POPE: St. Sylvester I, 314 - 335
EMPEROR: Constantine I, The Great, Western Roman Emperor 306-337; Sole Emperor 324 - 337

This is oldest thing I can find - However I will do more research.

72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I watched an interesting little tale the other night. Tuned in after it had started so I never did catch the title but Sean Connery I think was the main actor in it. Nice little tale about midEvil times & the inquesition? Really liked the ending with the tower ful of books banned by the church burning & the chief inquisitor being helped down the mountain by the local inhabitants.
Isn't it great to see the little people showing their love & devotion! Wish I knew the name of the movie , I certainly would recomend it.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy