Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

cool people VS nerds

User Thread
 41yrs • M •
zerokool is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
cool people VS nerds
What exactly makes a nerd a nerd? Are you afraid of making cool people dislike you if you're a nerd?

[  Edited by unknown1 at   ]
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Dugbug is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ah, the old, don't make fun of the nerd because they will be your boses.
Yup, power to the nerds.

"If the opposite of Pro is Con, then is the opposite of Progress, Congress?"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What do you define as 'cool', generally the teen years is a time of great change. Some people develope social abilities, some athelatic ability, some were born into wealthy or prominites which sets them apart from others. Because of the need to be noticed these people attract others seeking to be noteworthy in the eyes of their peers. Those nerds generally lack these social characteristics so they tend to work hard to perform well academicly seeking notice by peers.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
[  Edited by cturtle at   ]
 35yrs • M •
Yeah I find it funny, that without the uncool people, there really are no cool people.

35yrs • M •
Who are you asking what to?

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
if we all either accept the fact that we are losers or start believing we are all winners there will be no problem

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 40yrs • F •
JFine is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
About this whole uncool cool subject......as much as you have titled them "cool" you have titled yourself "uncool", therefore they are not in the wrong because you play into the game!!!! Trust me, I was part of the cool crowd and thats how we worked you so called "nerds"

"Don\\\'t be afraid your life will end, be afraid it will never begin"
 40yrs • M •
we have this innate desire to go against the norm, when we see somebody actually doing it, it excites us.

52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that I R Me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Perhaps we do have a desire togo against the grain- well some people do- Many people have a terrible fear of being an outcast or to be seen as different so they try to be as 'normal' as they can.
Nerds do indeed rule- were i work now there is an army of nerds it is a great place to work I fit right in- although I am in desguise usually I am a nerd but I can blend in fairly well- most times. It is also important to realize there are no cool people only people who think they are cool. It is such an over used word anyway soon to be a cliche.

"No one ever won a war by sitting in a ditch"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that kevosworld is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the way i look at it is, who cares if you are a nerd, a "cool" person, or even the so called norm. Just be yourself and think for yourself therefore you are in a group all by yourself

"How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Warriors_X is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Personally i dun really care what people think of me, i just follow Pride and Honor

lol, sum funny stuff said on this thread =D

"No matter how fast light thinks it is, it will always find that Drakness has beaten it and is already waiting..."
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I look at the "cool" people like I look at a brain, asking my self "What makes it tick?" I think about how humans set themselves apart from one another (i.e. how we define ourselves).

Money, latest fashion/gadgets/cars, looks, position, extroversion, lack of seriousness, confidence...these are what make the "cool" people in my high school.
quote:
No one thinks for themselves.

Very true. We compare ourselves to others. What makes a man look wealthy? If he owns more than someone else. Even in a Third World country, a man may own a beat up car but may be seen as wealthy because no on can even afford a car.

Let's say the cool high school studetn ends up being a rock star and earns millions and the nerd becomes the CEO of a business and also makes millions. So who rules? Well, the rock star gets more attention, but the CEO's success isn't based in his looks or voice. Tough call.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that secret07 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It really is amazing how differently the "cool" people are defined in different situations. take my school. It's really very small, and most people know eachother. what is odd is that, where in most schools the people who have nice cars, do well in sports, or are just fun to be around end up being percieved as cool, in my school it is the intellects who are the cool ones. i think this is mostly because they are the ones who can bash down the nonintellects, even those with nice cars, until they look like idiots.

"life sucks but its better than the alternative"
 40yrs • M •
"cool" people always bash on "uncool" people ("uncool" people allow themselves to be bashed on)... and if the "cool" people dont personally do the bashing, they are friends with somebody who does.

i try to stay pretty neutral. dont bash or let others bash and dont allow yourself or anyone around you to be bashed and you wont be bothered with the whole "cool" and "uncool" concept at all.

36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
At first, I thought it would be awesome if my school were like Secret's, but then I thought, I'd still be placed in a category because even intellectuals differ.

I don't bash, but on the very very VERY rare cases that I am bashed, I treat the other person like a joke. For example:

Basher: You never pass notes in class. You're such a nerd.
Me: Oh well, better a nerd than a dunce. Do you think teachers actualy made dunces wear white pointy caps and sit in the corner?

I know that once I start fighting fire with fire, there's a huge explosion. So I go off topic into random tangents. If I take their comments seriously, they continue teasing. Mean people have nothing better to do. Which is something else I tell them when they insult me (again on very rare occasions):

Basher: You're such a teacher's pet.
Me: Don't you have anything better to do then call me names?

Leaves em speechless. He he.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
cool people VS nerds
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy