Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

If your a clone do you have a soul? - Page 3

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Assuming there is a soul we're officially sure it is "in" the brain. More then that, it is in one half of the brain. People's brains have been split in two for medical reasons, one side becomes dominant (the one with the soul) and the other houses another?
I think I saw it on a documentary called the alien hand.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
With all the types of monitorings and imaging devices, you would wonder if praying, meditating and such had a particular lobe or area to which it is associated?
Edited portion of coment
http://www.captaincynic.com/thread.php3/frmid=12-u-thrdid=18511-u-page=2

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
[  Edited by cturtle at   ]
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the very essence of a person's mind is the mind itself. when all the thoughts have been cleared away, does the mind itself disappear? what im saying is that thoughts change and experience changes, so mind itself changes as well. yet we still retain some kind of unity at each moment, even though that moment is completely different from the ones before it. so, there must be a connection between moments, and i suppose that this connection is memory of those moments. one other thing that our thoughts have in common is the fact that they can be thought. despite every moment of thought being different, the fact that they are experienced is what makes them all similar. i suppose if i have to give a definition of soul, it would be this very general connection that everybody has, and that is the same in everybody.

as far as the soul being "in" the brain, i don't think that this is true physically. i doubt that there is a "piece" of the brain that can be taken out and labeled "soul." the brain is an ordered system with memory(like a computer) but far more advanced. the inner workings of our brains generate thoughts which require a soul to experience them. so i think that the soul is separate from physical reality and is connected to the physical brain by thought, however that works.

"You are reading this."
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ah, I guess I'm a bit confused I thought they were able to make certain cooralations(sp) with the right/left halve of the brain and activities with various areas of the brain? So I wondered if some one had made such observations.
Yes I tend to agree with you about the aspects of soul but others tend to see soul simply as an aspect of the brain or mind? Which may exist beyond the body?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 37yrs • M •
If the soul is transcendental, it clearly must express itself through a part of the brain.
Brainless beings have no soul in any way we think of it and brain damage can hamper the expression of a soul. I think a certain part of the brain is key to the soul's expression.

41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
yes, i would agree to that dumbteen. but i think all parts of the brain that are associated with thought work together to "connect" the soul to the physical universe.

"You are reading this."
 38yrs • M •
Crackerjack is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
What is a soul anyways? if its how we act and/or percieve things, then the clone would be different. A clone would have to be grown and live its own life, just like everyone else. If the clone lived with people that just studied it and didnt care for it and just fed it, it would die. people act how they were taught as a very young child.
If a soul is just something we have but does nothing, then whats the point of one. there is a very good possibility that a clone would just have the same DNA, but be very different at heart and how they think and percieve the world as a whole.

"The meaning of life? Live"
 37yrs • M •
That's bang on IMHO.

36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Theory is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ive seen pictures of cats that have been cloned
And they vary in colour and features.

I don't believe a clone would be you per say. Just the genetics that made you.

Your personality will vary due to experience.

I'm not a believe in a soul unless you can contemplate all living species that derive from the same group of cells being one soul with multiple points of view.

"We breathe natures breath until we are tired and layed to rest..."
 70yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that thx1137 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The bulk of this thread presupposes the existence of an individual soul. This is possibly an erred assumption. What is a soul? That thing I call me? But what is that?

I think most will agree that that I am not simply the totality of my body. Cut off my arms and legs, I am a quadriplegic, but am I not still me? Transplant my liver, lungs and heart, am I now someone else, or am I still me?

So are we our thoughts? Blue monkey. Now if you mentally pictured a blue monkey, was that your thought or mine? Would you have thought it if I had not written the words? Thoughts are introduced into us every day. We are no more the aggregate of our thoughts than the sky is the aggregate of the clouds.

The concept of soul is the concept of what animates my experience. Certainly something does. But the concept of soul also includes that it is something uniquely possessed by me. It is what you might call 'me.' But what if it is not something I possess, or 'own'? What if it is just something temporarily passing through, or interacting with 'me'?

61yrs • M •
pinball13 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Glad to see the thread resurrected.
This is my first post, anywhere, ever.

I have given much thought to how souls work. Do they exist? Is my soul me? Can I have multiple souls?

My background is on the physics level. The universe seems to run on physical law, with no detectable exceptions, which would constitute 'miracles', or any violation of physics.

The soul is perceived as something like the movie "Being John Malkovich"
John Cusack is the soul. The question is: Can he affect the life of John Malkovich, or just he just watch?

If driving is not allowed, then the soul is effectively undetectable, and cannot be held responsible (in the afterlife) for the actions of the mortal being it inhabits. It also allows for multiple souls.
The mortal body becomes sort of a biography that one can experience in part, and that many can experience.
Human existence is reduced to an amusement park ride for the souls.

If the soul is capable of driving, then it has a different consciousness, and at times, needs to override some natural decision that the body would have otherwise made. This is a violation of physics.

Suppose technology got real good, and you could strap on a gadget to any creature’s head and read its brain down to the synapse. It is so good, that it can predict the exact action of the creature at the moment. Now strap it to a human, and give the human some moral test where the body and the soul might differ in action. The machine would suddenly predict the action wrong. Poof: We have a soul detector. I’m betting no such detector is possible. Physics is safe.

If your a clone do you have a soul? - Page 3
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy