Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The meaning of democracy - Page 5

User Thread
 75yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that cswriter is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Okay, perhaps the problem is I say too much. I will cut it down to-

Democracy is an ideology of relationship. Do you agree or disagree and why?

"Only when democracy is defended in the classroom is it defended."
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
OMG! Answer the fn question please! Quit playing games.

Relationships yes, individual empowerment in a social construct for mutual benefit, and 1+1=2, c'mon now, quit the games, no one here is stupid.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 75yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that cswriter is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Good, we are making progress. Now what are the principles of this ideology?

This is wikipedia'a definition of an ideology, and you can use it for a frame work for discussion.

quote:
An ideology is a set of ideas that constitutes one's goals, expectations, and actions. An ideology can be thought of as a comprehensive vision, as a way of looking at things (compare worldview), as in common sense (see Ideology in everyday society below) and several philosophical tendencies (see Political ideologies), or a set of ideas proposed by the dominant class of a society to all members of this society (a "received consciousness" or product of socialization). The main purpose behind an ideology is to offer either change in society, or adherence to a set of ideals where conformity already exists, through a normative thought process. Ideologies are systems of abstract thought applied to public matters and thus make this concept central to politics. Implicitly every political tendency entails an ideology whether or not it is propounded as an explicit system of thought. It is how society sees things.

"Only when democracy is defended in the classroom is it defended."
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Look, I am not playing your games.

I pointed out why my questions were relevant to all topics we have discussed.

If you don't participate and answer questions why should anyone else. If you are going to ask questions, why not ask why I think my position and points are relevant if you do not know.

Stop being obstructive. This is beyond rediculous.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 45yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Cainchild is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
In America, everyone has come to be convinced that Democracy is a new smart phone and 240 channels.
I guess an easy way to look at this is that democracy is to politics what communism is to money. Everyone is supposed to have equal political power and knowledge with an equal chance to usurp a position of leadership.
In America votes are tied to dollars, and campaigns take money. Big bucks influence politicians with power that is beyond any democratic approach. Thus we live in a plutocracy, pure and simple.
The idea here (originally) is that with a hefty chunk of the population owning a certain amount of wealth, both financial and political power would be distributed amongst a large number of people.
That is also far from the case now.
Perfect Capitalism is based, amongst other things on a certain amount of cyclical spending. That chain has also been broken as very large businesses can garner BILLIONS of dollars, more than they could ever spend, and it gets sucked out of the economy. That's right, there are a finite amount of value dollars in any economy, They don't spend that money, it doesn't move around from hand to hand and get distributed out in the economy. Thus the number of $$$ circulating in the economy diminish over time.
Capitalism is also based on casualties. At no one time can everyone be rich. Someone has to buy stuff. Someone has to get paid to make that stuff. That means, in order to profit (capitalize) someone has to make less (usually the buyer and producer, not the owner).
Inherently, in the longer terms, Capitalism and Democracy are about as compatible as a Monarchy and actual freedoms.
Now, to make matters even worse, we have everything from race and gender bias as well as the aged standard of poverty.
Half the population of this country is too uneducated to understand this thread (largely due to not being able to afford education), and countless more are too overworked and poor to even have access to it.
So how are they going to wield any kind of power, political or otherwise from a position of destitution and ignorance? America is pretty slavery. It is well groomed classism.
Our actual freedoms, have already been laid to wind long ago.

"Fear is the emotion that prevents us from doing thing we shouldn't have thought of to begin with."
The meaning of democracy - Page 5
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy