Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

How do we know? - Page 3

User Thread
 47yrs • M •
JohnSavage is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
If we don't know, who does? How are we cognitive of the fact that we know that we don't know yet know we don't know?

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
knowing that we dont know is knowing something in itself... right?

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 42yrs • F •
wunderG is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
[b] mmmmmmmmm i wunder. seriously tho, have u ever thot about this: what if u see the color blue. and u call it blue. and someone else sees blue in there head, n they call it blue, but its not the same of how u see blue.mmm i wunder..... but i don't think we would ever really know.. what about if, your you, u have those thoughts, but like its just you, n everyone else isn't really anything. what if its all an illusion that u are looking at. wtf wtf. seriously thhink about these things. what exactly is death. what is life. what is getting drunk. honestly. just think about it. or maybe im just retarded n think weird. n then again i do a lotta drugs so... but then what are drugs really.. n this is comin froma 15 yr old girl.

""A cirlce is perfect, but the world is not round""
 47yrs • M •
JohnSavage is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Hmmmmmmm...Blue let's see. What is blue? Is it really blue at all. Define blue in its self context. From what angle would you subject this color to? Is is a refraction, reflection, pigmentation caused by the functionioning of a thylacoid, or is it the causation of the lacking of a substance. Maybe blue is what it is based on the state in which it is realized or maybe based on your statement, a perception all together. Blue?

Really, what is blue? Is it substance or the lack there of.... Based on these revealing questions, if one so desires, can apply them to nearly every area of their life and experience the causations and effects........

Are we ourselves? Are we really who we say we are? Can or should we even say we in the same sentence? What is the difference between you and a mirage or ae the tables really turned and the same is being said of us? By saying, us, me, we, I, my, in the same sentence acknowledging that we are of substance?

What is life? What is death? Do you have a left hand and a right hand? If so, put them before you, open, close them, and meditate on this question?

Tell me, what do you see? what do you hear? What do you feel?

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well, see theres also another thing. Since all our senses like seeing, hearing etc, infact, the whole observable universe including see and feeling our bodies, is just a bunch of electrical signals interprted by our brain. Now thats another question of how can we be sure that our brain interpretates those signals correctly. Now, it is very possible that if a brain is kept alive in a subtance or something, all you would have to do is connect it to a computer, insert a floppy disk with all the relevant information and voila! The computer would give elctrical signals to the lone brain, to IT making it seem that it had a body, was a buisness man etc! How can we be sure that the same is not happening to us? Now one may say people can SEE brains and they are certainly not connected to a computer or some divine being. But what is the brain?How do we know that it is a brain, or even if there is such a thing as a brain,as that to is just a bunch of electrical signals!Pretty scary!Anyway, perhaps we may never know the truth(if there is such a thing, As Distinguishing truth is just a chemical process inside our brain!) regarding all this, but we can come much closer by keeping on asking these questions.
By the way, I am also 15.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 47yrs • M •
I 'll say more later, but for now. I would highly inform anyone, that there is a truth. Just as you said early, about realizating our own limitations as human beings, certainly suggest, there must be a truth... Ponder this...

I definitely like what you said about asking why? We must continue to ask why but not just why, but those who went further and said what if? What if this? What if that? Realizing that once we have asked why, we apply, to see how, and then we in many general cases throughout the world, know why?

The why, is the the thought provoking question that forces those who seek, TRUE understanding to begin, to grow.... Being able to ask why, is in itself, a gift from God, who is the Truth. One fact that will endure as long as time exist, is everyones body is going to pass away and when that happens, we will all be standing before God. That is when many of the thought provoking games people play, suggesting life is not real, yet we're cognitive, will be over....

One thing is for sure and I thank God. The more we learn or THINK WE know, the more I realize and am made aware, of how little we TRULY don't know...

35yrs • M •
Thats a really good reply john , and I agree with all your answers. However, do you really belive that asking 'true' why is a gift of God?Or are there limits that a human being should stay inside of, because I sometime take my why's in a negative sense, as when you try to enquire about 'true' understanding, you eventually come to the the creation of the universe etc, and that leads to questions that einstien asked:'Did God have a choice in creating the Universe', or what happened before the universe etc. Is it a sin to enquire about these things which all great minds have enquired about, or will the askers of such questions be punished?

44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that dr. suess is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
angel again you bring up a great point. simply asking why if it is a gift is a pretty poor one. if it was a gift than he would have thought it good enough but it wasnt a gift. that is why he sent jesus to earth, to show them not to ask why, to tell them to believe, to make them believers. also john to think u know anything in regards to god and the universe is nothing more than a belief because it is unprovable. the only things we can truly know are things that are undeniable, which in the realms of the universe and religion are few.

47yrs • M •
Dr. Suess, Good evening. Before I go to bed, I just want to say. How do you know I am only thinking or stated another way assuming I know anything about God? I have a testimony and a truth to stand on, and He is Christ Jesus. You see, I went through many things in the last six years alone, that only God could bring me out of. So I know He is real and what he can do.

And asking why, for Angel of death, is ok. God will not punish you. He meets you right where your at. each and everyone of us. When it comes to God, my Abba. My everything. Not matter what anyone says. I will never ever back down from what I BELIEVE and KNOW is THE TRUTH.

Enclosing, I leave you with this. seek God for yourself, ask His Son Jesus in to your heart, if you have not, and poor out some of the things that are on your heart and pray to Him and over the course of time, see what He will do for you personally.

I can't tell anyone exactly what God will do for them. I have know say so. When it comes to a personally relationship with God, ask all the questions that are on your heart, He knows deep down why your asking.

But remember, when you ask an honest why?, from God, just know, He will give you an honest answer, in His way and in His time, you just have to be willing to "Accept", what He reveals to you.

The answers God gives you will follow with peace. with this said, please ponder and I pray everyone regardless of who you are, will have a very blessed, peaceful, and wonderful night, Amen!

35yrs • M •
Yeah your almost right there john.
Everyone has to have faith, atleast in SOMETHING. Research has shown that people who regularaly go to mosques, churches etc are healthier than their counterparts. This is because they have confidence in themselves, and won't give up when they experiance some of the many hurdles of life.
In short, *faith gives us hope when hope itself is gone.*

35yrs • M •
I forgot to add one thing, that yes, as john said, before sleeping, just confide to god all of your deepest feelings, and I assure you, that you will immediantly become peaceful and will be relieved of tension. Thats why belief in God is so important, withought that belief, you feel that your entire existence is meaningless. It is a sense of assurance when one feels that every thing happens for a reason. And it DOES!(thats another thing if you argue that God has nothing to do with it). For all you have to do is just look back at your previous disapointments, and then see how you have learned....and grown.

44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that dr. suess is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
hello again, i do believe in a god as i have said before. when you ask god for things like strength, and support do you actually think he is the one giving it to you. angel you said that studies show that people who BELIEVE in something are often physically and mentaly better than those who dont. why do u think that is? do you think that all the different types of gods are anwsering all their prayers cause if thats true than there must be a whole lot of gods out there. its because they feel good about confiding in what they believe is their personal god. why is it that whenever something good happens its because of god?
hey john you had a rough six years and you are COMPLETELY SURE that god has brought you out of it. yet im sure if you talk to any budist they will tell you that the rough times they had were saved by buddha. also if god is so personal than it is very sad to think that he could not help all the people who truly believe in him. there are many holes in belief but that is why they call it belief, because you CANT PROVE IT. just because you get a stroke of luck doesnt mean tht some almighty being was there to do it for you. but if it makes you sleep better at night thinking so than i am happy for because a quiet mind and a good night sleep are priceless.

35yrs • M •
Right suess. I didn't want to go to near cause people sometimes mind a little. In short, God does NOT do anything for us while we live. I dont think that it is written in any religion( if it does, please say so) that a person gets benefits from God in the present life. But as I said, it is the FAITH that counts, and so you believe that you will get through any horrible time.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Prayer is supposed to bring benefits in this life. Prayer is meant to benefit you by either giving you the object of your prayers and/or soothing you in the knowledge that God is there for you.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 35yrs • M •
Thats what I am saying. By praying, our faith is strengthened. You become calm in the KNOWLEDGE that God is there for you. However, people believe that God causes all misfortunes etc so that they get some comfort by believing that everything happened for a reason. We should not ask WHY a certain thing happened, we should ask what should we do about it.

Yes, prayer brings many benifits in this life, but not materialistically(unless you say that the calmness and ability to cope affects present day life)

How do we know? - Page 3
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy