Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Medication for depression?

User Thread
 48yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that brann22 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What are you thoughts on this. I kinda torn on it.

"Why try so hard to fit in when you were born to stand out!!"
 45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Restless Mind is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It is all in the mind, the mind is a VERY powerful thing brann. It can overcome alot of obstacles. All you nheed to do is try and I dont mean half ass try. Try your hardest and it can be beaten. Drugs are the easy way out, life is not easy so dont think it is the right awnser.

48yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that brann22 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Life is very hard but my aunt cant seem to get it. She has been in and out of hospitals. She blacks out and trys to kill herself. I dont get why she wont just get with it but she had bi-polar manic depression and cant stop

"Why try so hard to fit in when you were born to stand out!!"
 47yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that pv_emerald14 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I have to agree with firebird on this one. Here's a story made short.

About a year ago I got so depressed that I couldn't and wouldn't do anything. People never seen me out and about, never seen sign of life in my windows. I didn't want anything to do with anyone. I had a doctors appt. one day and talked to him about it. I had even thought bout suicide and the different ways I could do it. He put me on pills. They worked for a time and then stopped working so I took myself off of them. I figured well if they aren't going to do their job then why take them and pay the money for them. Anyway, I got worse. I actually got to the point one night at work that I had the pills sitting infront of me and was about to take them. Then some thing made me call my boss and get help. I worked for so long and so hard that I never thought I would make it passed the depression. I don't know that I have even now gotten out of it but I got better. I was at a point that I was going out and doing things again, making myself get back into the things that I love doing besides the computer. Last March I went down hill again. I never left my room. I boarded up my windows, I wasn't paying attention to my kids. Then one day it hit me what I was doing not only to myself but those who truely care about me and I realized that I had to get out of it. That was when I started going out again and talking to people and I even started telling those who I knew love to gossip things that I wanted others to believe but weren't true. I am still working so hard to keep from the Dr. deciding that I need the pills again because it's like firebird said, it's all in your head. I know that I can beat this thing myself I just have to try my hardest and do my best and remember to get out of bed every day.

Some people it takes harder and longer work but I know that they can do it if they want to get passed the depression. I hope you can get it worked out with your aunt and that she gets better.

""Live life to the fullest!""
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wesdawgy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I had a boss that was Bi-polar; that was a completely crazy work environment. He was my best friend one day...and the next he flips his fuckin top over a trash can not being emptied. It was completely unberable. He started acting alot worse when they cut his insurance so that he couldnt afford the prescription, so I don't know if it was a placebo affect or it was really dulling the ups and downs but it did something.

Good luck on your uphill battle Em

"I'd like to say something profound....."SOMETHING PROFOUND""
 37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that [MiA] is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well what do drugs really do ? they make you happy and stupid but they don't solve your problems, and if you're so out of your mind that you're depressed over absolutely nothing, then yeah maybe you do need medication , but i think most of the people right now have a reason to be depressed and once they take care of their problems or find someone that'll understand them the depression goes away ..

"The more you suffer, the more it shows you really care .... right ?"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Medication for depression is bad IMO. It stops people from really trying to solve their problems and instead go the easy (and lazy) way out by taking drugs.
Our brains are very complex, fragile and mysterious and I think constant resort to drugs will make people lazier and unhealthier.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 37yrs • F •
exactly

44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wesdawgy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I can agree with some of that; the brain is a big mystery in my opinion. The fact is though, there are alot of cases of depression that require drugs. Bi-Polar disorder sufferers without the medication feel extreme highs and extreme lows, and the only way to dull both feelings is those drugs.

The people that feel down from time to time, and go to a doctor to get a prescription for Prozac, are just ridicules. They are looking for an excuse in my opinion.

"I'd like to say something profound....."SOMETHING PROFOUND""
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Depending on how bad a person's bipolar disorder is is really what matters.
If its a question of suicidal downs, then medication is good, but aside from that, I think its work, will and possibly some psychological (drug-free) therapy that is nescessary.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Most people just need somebody to talk to. a few years back i was at the "end of my rope" so to speak... my parents made me go to a shrink and with all the emotions and what not that i went through talking to the lady... i realized i just needed a compagnion... ive struggled with this whole concept the past few years a lot though. my "sister" was taken away from her mother because of abuse and what not... needless to say she has some "issues" anyway... the medication seems to help her but i dont believe its fixing any of her problems, sadly there is no way to "fix" them that i am aware of

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 37yrs • F •
why "sister" ?

40yrs • M •
She's in no way related to me, other than the fact that she lives with my family now.

37yrs • F •
does she get on your nerves ?

40yrs • M •
mmhmm... maybe i need some medication? or she needs somebody to talk to

1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy