To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe. - kevosworld
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Music - Page 4

User Thread
 62yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Lady Tazmanian is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
We have an understanding in our house. I'll listen to my children's music, if they listen to mine.

Because of this, I've been learning **couphforcedcouph* to like New Found Glory, Sublime, Green Day, Creed, Good Charlotte (sp?), DMB, and many other bands. I've tried listening to their techno stuff but not for too long.

My girls like some of my music which is Pink Floyd, AC/DC, John Mellencamp, Eagles, America, Queen, Elton John and other great artist.

41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
real great musicians like that haven't disappeared, theyve just lost the spotlight to, for the most part, people who like to draw attention to themselves rather than their music. in other words, people who have a gimmick, something to sell, etc. money plays a much more important role in the industry than it used to i think, so as a result, people who care more about the art than the money have gone more or less unnoticed--by choice or otherwise. hell, though, if it sounds good, listen to it. just dont think that what's on the record shelves at fye is all there is out there anymore.
anybody like audioslave, coldplay, a perfect circle, or queens of the stone age? these are my favorite major label bands right now.
as far as indie bands, the smiths, the wipers, and the pixies are my favorites of all time. the smiths in particular.

"You are reading this."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
audioslave *shudders* R.A.T.M. needs to get back together... but it will never happen

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 41yrs • M •
yeah, i always thought chris cornell was a really good song-writer, even if his voice kind of annoyed me.

"You are reading this."
 40yrs • M •
yea ok, ill agree with you on that one

39yrs • F
A CTL of 1 means that Danipog is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hey, but Sublime is great!

41yrs • M •
oh yeah, i like sublime alright. never really got into them much though. a friend of mine was wearing a sublime shirt once and these other friends of mine saw him and said, "hey, you can't wear that shirt because you don't smoke pot." for chrissake, you can like sublime without being a stoner, even if it is considered "stoner rock" or whatever.
on that note, ever heard kyuss? theyre pretty awsome too.

"You are reading this."
 40yrs • M •
not being able to listen to a certain genre of music simply because you do not in any way represent that type of music is about the dumbest thing i have heard anyone try to argue. i have a business cut for my hair and i wear tshirts and single colored sweat pants primarily and i dont do drugs or drink, im not in any sort of cult -- cough juggalos cough -- ive never once headbanged, moshed or raved, and yet i like all of the genres of music that these sort of things are characteristic of. so who wants to hate on me first? any takers?

PS - Sublime is great

39yrs • F
A CTL of 1 means that Danipog is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Sublime wasn't stoner rock it was a perfect mix of genres including reggae, punk, ska, and hip-hop. Anyone who claims Sublime is stoner rock is too stoned to know.

I only have one music-related t-shirt and the rest of my style is mine alone. I love punk, but living in small-town Maine, I have to admit I don't live it.

41yrs • M •
ill admit that i don't know enough about sublime to be able to personally call it anything, i was just relaying a story that happened with some friends of mine. my next cd will probably be sublime, since ive only heard one of their albums, once, and that was like two years ago. i didn't think they were great, but they were alright-it was probably one of their earlier albums or something for all i know.

"You are reading this."
 40yrs • M •
"i smoke two joints before i smoke two joints, and then i smoke two more..." well i can see how a person would sort of interpret them as being stoner rock... if they had only heard that one song... determining a bands style after listening to only one of their songs is another thing that really irks me...

41yrs • M •
if it were up to me, no music would be labeled as anything other than music . . . but as it stands, certain styles have specific sounds that make them easily distinguishable from other styles. and these distinguishing sounds in a lot of ways give them their unique flavor, so characterizing certain sounds is necessary. however, sometimes i think the labeling gets a little carried away--at allmusic.com, for instance, they have like hundreds of different rock genres alone, many that i have never heard of. if there is such a thing as "stoner rock," i have never heard it, or been able to easily distinguish it from other genres. my understanding is that stoner rock is any kind of rock that, when listened to, increases the experience of being high. i still think its kind of dumb, because im sure a great variety of music of all styles could probably do this. maybe separate pop, rock, metal, punk and rap and a few others that i cant think of, and i guess sub-groups could exist, but its sometimes impossible to distinguish a lot of little obscure subgroups such as "stoner rock," "acid rock," "psychadalia," "acid revival," or "classic punk," "punk revival," "garage rock," "postpunk," "indie rock," etc. it gets comical.

"You are reading this."
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wesdawgy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"smoke two joints...." OK, lol, Sounds like a Afrman song, "because I get high"

"I'd like to say something profound....."SOMETHING PROFOUND""
 47yrs • F •
schizm is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
i think "smoke two joints" is a remake of a bob marley song.

i do love sublime . its a shame brad had to go and do something so stupid as overdose,thats another thing i wonder about ,
why do so many great musicians end up dying like that?

"right here and now!!"
 41yrs • M •
well, in order to be a great artist you have to have a lot of depth. a lot of times great creative depth seems to be coupled with depression, or perhaps a feeling of emotional isolation. maybe a lot of musicians take drugs to cope with this.
i was reading that a lot of really talented artists are bipolar. what happens is they go into a state of depression during which they have absolutely no energy or willpower to create anything. and then, after that is over, they go into a state of mania, during which they do an excess of artistic work--thus, a lot of bipolar people rise to prominance in their fields because they do so much work and are able to develop their skills more than the average person. also, a lot of times they take great depth from their states of depression and use it in their creations.
this is definitely not general, of course.

"You are reading this."
Music - Page 4
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy