You can't truly see the connections between things so how do you truly know they exist? - gothabomber
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Does Time Even Exist? - Page 4

User Thread
 51yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Blissfull doom is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yes I suppose in the long run, people have been considering each others ideas for a long time, something that was disregarded years ago in study might be the next point to follow on in a new discussion or idea, what is it that is so old via radiation technology? Interesting carbon 14 one of three carbon isotopes to have radioactive properties, brought about by the effects of cosmic rays on the atmosphere. As soon as living matter dies, Carbon 14 goes into a state of decay over a half life of5,730 years mean life of 8.033 years, apparently 40,000 years is length of time t he isotopes show measurable radioactivity. Showing how old something is by its quantity I think.

72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Interesting
quote:
carbon 14 one of three carbon isotopes to have radioactive properties, brought about by the effects of cosmic rays on the atmosphere.
yet both biblical & science maitain that the erath has been subjected to intense changes. So one of the disclaimers of carbon-14 data is the diffferences that may have existed in the carbon content of the atmosphere & the amount & type (frequency range) of light upon it.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that weltanschauung is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
As for the person who said we havent proven our own existence...

Having the ability to grasp the concept of existence, or easier,the concept of non-existence, presupposes their reality. I believe if you look a little deeper, with a little more logic, you have already answered the questioned...examine your own thoughts...

As for time being nonexistent....

How do you explain something being in one place at one point in time, and another, in another point of time? Where has the phenomena taken place? In time. It takes TIME to do anything, not just time but space, the changes, and occurances in our life, only happen in time and space. They our the foundation of..everything...read up on some Kant...he's a pretty smart guy

""That all knowledge begins with experience, there can be no doubt...""
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

Well, the thing is, time only exists for us. An eagle will not have a perception of time. Dogs don't have a memory, they can't compare events, thus, for them there is no such thing as time. Just because we have the ability to compare two events, we have a 'perception' of time.

Look, time is not some seperate'force'. What is speed? no tell me, what is speed? Not 50km/h, thats just a measurement. Speed only exists because movement exists. Same is the case with time. if there was no matter(or memory), ther'd be no time

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that 730 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Man makes stuff too complicated don't you agree?^^

oh does anybody disagree that Time is space?...Time is gravity?....Time doesn't have a name?... Time is not attainable, because we think we control it already!

"Being is not knowing!"
 72yrs • M •
Ya, man (kind) has some real control issues!
Man likes too play God . . . ?

Why should the altimate life form be predatory?

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Someone told me: "Time is an illusion created by memory and our inability to perceive all at once."

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
 72yrs • M •
Eh, a new beginning . . . Will they ever learn?

As the universe spin on into the dark deep of the void. Flowing energies exchanged & light (life) flickers briefly then the light dies out

38yrs • M •
^^life will never die out!....ever!...which life? our life or the all flowing possibility of life?.....hahahaha....we're immortal homie!

"Being is not knowing!"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that starforsaken is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
http://prospectmagazine.co.uk/article_details.php.6701.html

Best article I have read in the last few months. It basically says that due to dark matter [antigravity] pushing our universe apart at an exponential speeds, the future is a Deep Freeze with the entire universe reaching absolute zero. Due to this, advanced civilizations would be forced to flee to a parallel universe via black holes, wormholes, or something along those lines. Keep in mind that this would be billions of years in the future, and seeing as how far OUR (one of many in the universe) civilizations has come in the last hundred years. . . machines light-years in length in the distant future would surely be feasable. I recommend reading the whole thing; for clarity.

The article was written by the author of Hyperspace >Michio Kaku< a brilliant Japanese theoretical physicst.

"www.starforsaken.com"
 38yrs • M •
^^You're not looking at the bigger picture though..... Why would anybody who lives in the future want to come back to the past?.... See mans lack of contentment for living will always seek after his existence, and when he falls upon something that entertains him he exploits it.....What's the purpose of a time machine?....entertainment?...... And I have a theory about the black hole stuff, I said it in the "Why did God make the universe thread". Actually I shouldn't call it a theory because there's an intuitive knowledge in the back of my head that tells me that it's true; Many of these civilizations which are moving through these holes or portals, are merely moving back into the physical reality of light....the reality of God!.....This universe is going to be destroyed, in how many years you might think that it will be....it's going to be destroyed! Nobody in their right mind, in the future would want to come back to all of this confusion in the past......And if the future is more confusing, what could someone in the future do?...Any disruption in the past would create an alternate future for the rest of all existence.....Accept the simple fact of this is it!...ther'e nothing more...No life after death, nothing!....This is it!.....be happy living THIS moment, it's the only one you have....

"Being is not knowing!"
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wizardslogic is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Time as a successive series of events may exist only in our minds...and each of us may experience it differently and the real world (outside our perception of it) may exist independently of this linear time,,,The present is an illusory experience, a point of consciousness dividing our experience of the external world into past and future, a world where the past and future exist as one simultaneously...called the Eternal Now in Hindu philosophy...Kant says that time as we experience it is a function of the physical brain, nothing else....Nobody can be sure I guess...It's all a uniquely personal experience which can never be fully known by anyone besides yourself...

"Each conscious mind is alone in the universe!"
 36yrs • M •
Part_time_punk is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I'm just about to do physics at degree level, so I know some things about time.

firstly, you can not go faster than the speed of light.

When something moves, it'll spread all the energy it has got for movement, out among the dimensions. (just think about the normal 3 dimensions and time for now.) We're always using some of the energy to go through time right now because we're getting older. If you move faster, you have to 'give' more energy to moving in that direction and take it away from moving through time. That's why when the astronauts were in space for 6 months, their watches showed that less time had for them - because they were moving so fast. The speed of light is the smallest possible mass (light - effectivly having none) using all of it's energy to travel in one straight line..therefore, the lightest possible 'object' moving through just one dimension can move at that speed, c. You cannot get faster then that.

(Plus, anything with a mass at all gets heavier the faster it travels, so the closer a spaceship were to get to the speed of light, the heavier it would get, the more power it'd need to get to the speed of light, the more power would make it go a little faster, but then it'd get much heavier...you can't get that much energy really).

2) time does exist. the arguement that it's something developed by humans is such a pretentious statement. just like we move through space and we can measure it (in miles per hour for example), we move through time, and we can measure it (in seconds). Just because we have devices for measuring them on our wrists, doesn't mean it's a concept invented by us.

umm...that's about it. I agree with the guy going on about einstein's theories, i read a couple of books about it and it's nice to see someone educated put a view forward, rather than someone just sitting about thinking up something as ridiculous as 'time doesn't exist' just because they don't have the understanding to work out they're wrong for themselves.

scientists take the fact that time exists and is relative, and that nothing can go faster than the speed of light, and other assumptions you can't really understand without an education for granted. and look where it got them - satellites in space, trips to the moon, splitting the atom, nuclear power etc. Scientists 1 - idiot sitting in chair who thinks up stupid things 0

36yrs • M •
Part_time_punk is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I'm just about to do physics at degree level, so I know some things about time.

firstly, you can not go faster than the speed of light.

When something moves, it'll spread all the energy it has got for movement, out among the dimensions. (just think about the normal 3 dimensions and time for now.) We're always using some of the energy to go through time right now because we're getting older. If you move faster, you have to 'give' more energy to moving in that direction and take it away from moving through time. That's why when the astronauts were in space for 6 months, their watches showed that less time had for them - because they were moving so fast. The speed of light is the smallest possible mass (light - effectivly having none) using all of it's energy to travel in one straight line..therefore, the lightest possible 'object' moving through just one dimension can move at that speed, c. You cannot get faster then that.

(Plus, anything with a mass at all gets heavier the faster it travels, so the closer a spaceship were to get to the speed of light, the heavier it would get, the more power it'd need to get to the speed of light, the more power would make it go a little faster, but then it'd get much heavier...you can't get that much energy really).

2) time does exist. the arguement that it's something developed by humans is such a pretentious statement. just like we move through space and we can measure it (in miles per hour for example), we move through time, and we can measure it (in seconds). Just because we have devices for measuring them on our wrists, doesn't mean it's a concept invented by us.

umm...that's about it. I agree with the guy going on about einstein's theories, i read a couple of books about it and it's nice to see someone educated put a view forward, rather than someone just sitting about thinking up something as ridiculous as 'time doesn't exist' just because they don't have the understanding to work out they're wrong for themselves.

scientists take the fact that time exists and is relative, and that nothing can go faster than the speed of light, and other assumptions you can't really understand without an education for granted. and look where it got them - satellites in space, trips to the moon, splitting the atom, nuclear power etc. Scientists 1 - idiot sitting in chair who thinks up stupid things 0

Does Time Even Exist? - Page 4
  1    2    3    4    5    6  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy