"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits. - " Fulton Sheen"
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Isn't Religion Just a Science or History? - Page 4

User Thread
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well, like I said , not up on dark matter so not sure what it is suppose to be. You know you are welcome, glad I didn't offend.
Looked in the Webster Dictionary of Science (copyright 1998)
dark matter: matter that according to the current theories of => cosmology, makes up about 90 to 99% of the mass of the universe but so far remains undetected. Dark matter if shown to exist would explain many currently unexplained gravitational effects in the movement of the galaxies.
Well to begin with I tend to have a different view as to the nature of dimension & structure of the universe so I tend not to become involved with such suppositions.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
[  Edited by cturtle at   ]
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that patape is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
to okcity kid.. how do you know theres alot we dont know? or even how do you know you dont know everything? seems like a simple question but id like to see you answer it.. (ill share mine later0..

"no quote until i copyright it.."
 72yrs • M •
patape, it wouold seem pretty self evident to me.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"Dark matter (I think its called) has been discovered that passes right threw the earth. If I did a search I could find the links to these scientific studies."
Dark matter is something in outter space which we cannot detect. We know its there because it is heavy, if it wasn't there the universe would implode.
Your thinking of WIMPs I think (weak interaction something particle, don't quote me on this).

How does this disprove what I am saying? These things are predicted by scientific theories and are eventually detected, thus verifying the theory.

The 'spiritual world' is a complete invention. For it to be scientifically recognise, I suggest you go to your basement and make a machine which shows it exists.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 37yrs • M •
"GOD made man from the dust of the earth.
Question: what did GOD mean by dust of the earth?
Science the universe is made of energy which form elements which form molecules which form the earth and planets? Arachiac? Ah . . so you think?"
First of all, if the Bible says whatever we want it to say, then it is fundamentally uninformative.
Secondly, this or that part of the Bible might be based in history or fact. But that's not the point, the point is that the Bible is unchanging. The Bible defined THE TRUTH, 2000 years ago and it is unchanging. Thus, the Bible is locked into the truth of men 2000 years ago. Hence archaic.

Science changes with each generation. An 18th century scientist does not view things the same as a 20th century scientist.

Thus Science and Religion are NOT THE SAME. One changes with time, the other is timeless.

72yrs • M •
The dark matter came up in the conversation by OkCityKid. What he defined was a developement of the Relativity theory and the application of electro-magnetic radition extending beyond (being contineous) matters existence.
From dust, we were created and into dudt we shall return.
If we remove the water from the body, the basic components turn to various salts (acid-base chemistry) & various basic building blocks (elements: carbon, hydrogen,etc.) in various simple compounds. Is not the dust from which man was created those same simple compounds? What has changed but man's comprehension of the nature of his existence?

37yrs • M •
cturtle why are you obsessed with this one line of the bible. The bible is so metaphorical that it can be interepreted any way you want it to (and given the number of different christian sects, different christians do in fact interpret as they see fit).

"he dark matter came up in the conversation by OkCityKid. What he defined was a developement of the Relativity theory and the application of electro-magnetic radition extending beyond (being contineous) matters existence."
That is not dark matter. Science recognises things which are not material if they have a recognisable effect.

72yrs • M •
quote:
cturtle why are you obsessed with this one line of the bible.
Religion is the stated area & the thread has the usual aspect of creation vs scientific thinking. Giving the biblical creation of man, the same statis as a scientific theory, we need to understand before judging it's value or correctness.
quote:
That is not dark matter.
Sorry, I relate to a different understanding of these scientific theory so for me it is a 2 step program 1) relating to their perception to understand the theory then 2) relating that to another perception.
Yes, OkCity mentioned gravitational effects not conducive of their theory has caused them to (alter) create an explanation?
I mean if you perceive a continum of electro-magnetic raditation which is related to wave length (magnitude) of the particles [from nuclear & atomic particles to the nebulus of stars & galaxies], the concept of cosmic rays should relate to particles of relative magnitude to their wavelength?
Not necessarily true but a logical sequence of thought.

64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
how do you know theres alot we dont know? or even how do you know you dont know everything?

Why do you ask such a strange question? You look up into the sky at night and see all the stars and you know that you don't know everything about what you see, and further, what you don't see, you can only guess.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Riencarnation I believe proves that there is a spiritual world. There is a considerable amount of evidence to prove reincarnation. There is no need for me to go to my basement and make a machine. I've not seen a cell or an atom, but I believe in the evidence that I have been shown. Once again, I don't have to go to my basement and make a microscope to prove it or to show others. I just except the evidence before me.

If you would like to review the evidence of reincarnation, go to google .com and type reincarnation=scientific+evidence into the search bar.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that patape is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
okcity kid.. you know you say what you say when looking up at the sky, but how do you know there is more than what you saw? how do you know there is more than anything you experienced including your experience from all senses right now?

to dumbteen, i think you got it on tha ball, im always thinking, like for example how this religious guy on TV says "people can take the bible literaly which you shouldnt" well if not then anyone can make whatever they want out of it (this really means that, and that really means this) you know its like just hat you want, all the people i talked to who are religious and or beliee on god, always seem to disagree with a certain area (ex: well i dont belive theres a hell or a heell like the bible described", the same teacher said he didnt believe in heaven or hell, then said he did when i asked wher do muderes of "inocent" go, he sad hell, then later he said thers no heaen or hell) so its whatever you want, if you dont take the bible literaly you can make it out whatever way you want so what does that sayayay..

"no quote until i copyright it.."
 72yrs • M •
quote:
like for example how this religious guy on TV says "people can take the bible literaly
so literally take the bible as an instruction manual. Some don't read the instructions then become upset because they can't put it together; others don't understand the instructions & put it togther wrong & it doesn't work. Then others read the instructions but try to rework the instructions to meet their desires. Don't blame the author of the operators manual by those who don't follow it.

37yrs • M •
"Riencarnation I believe proves that there is a spiritual world. There is a considerable amount of evidence to prove reincarnation."
What then? Most proof for reincarnation involves religion, hypnosis or dubious media-hungry individuals.

72yrs • M •
I think therefore I am! I think?
I stand with 1 foot planted into both worlds
because they are one to me.
Look at both sides to see the wonder that exist within thy!

OkCity, dont worry about proof of the spiritual realm, it has at least as much evidence of existence as dark matter(gravitational, electromagnetic fields). They exist as part of creation even before man perceived their existence in creation.
The arrogance of intellilect only science can presume with authority the existence beyond our keen? The assumption of constant gravitational force implies the existence of dark matter therefore it exist. Otherwise his precept of the world is shaken to the core of his beliefs.

[  Edited by cturtle at   ]
 56yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Patrish is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Let me put it this way, science would not exist without creation, and neither would the thought process of man.
Nothing would exist.

Religion is a formed bond we have in our way of worshipping the one true God.

God is the Alpha and Omega.

You dont have to believe it, but it makes more sense to believe it.

IF you live your whole life believing in God, and have died, and there is NO God, you lost nothing, but made the world easier to bear for yourself.

IF you live your life like there is no God, and there is, you have lost an eternity of happiness....and your life was without hope for a better life afterwards.

IF you live your life like there is a God and there is, you won the jackpot of eternity...and eternal happiness.

For those who dont believe, will never believe, they both have no hope for soemthing better after this rather difficult life, and have no hope for rapturous happiness afterwards.

IF we die, and there is nothing...we wont even know.

"Life is full of lemons, and the lemonade is sweet."
Isn't Religion Just a Science or History? - Page 4
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy