Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Revelation finished? - Page 2

User Thread
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that her is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Theology is psychology, i keep wondering what you mean by that, is it that peoples constant claim on the existance of god, and their many different versions of it, are all proofs of humankinds need to find comfort, and reassurance, what i mean is are you saying that the existance of theology allows us an insight into our psychology? If im wrong, please tell me what you mean

"I have nothing to be proud of today but hopefully tomorrow I will."
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that NicOfTime is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
By "theology is psychology", I mean that notions about God are products of human thinking -- man's attempt to satisfy his need for answers, meaning, purpose; man's attempt to justify or rationalize or understand or explain his own existence; IOW, products of human imagination.

That's why God always seems to have human characteristics, properties, attributes -- why God always seems to match the psychology of the person believing in him, whether that's a loving, compassionate God; a vindictive, stern, disciplinarian God; or a detached, impersonal God. Yeah, some believers claim that God and man share common characteristics because man was created in God's image. But that's just the flip side, a psychological inversion of "man created in God's image", where God is created in man's image instead.

It's also true that man's theology is an insight into his own psychology -- his aspirations, ideals, his curiosity or need for answers, his need for some reassurance or comfort in a world that's full of insecurity, indifference, ambiguity, uncertainty, injustice, poverty, and suffering.

I wish that it was otherwise -- but human imagination seems to be all that's necessary to account for the types of God man believes in. I don't know enough to assert, beyond any possibility of doubt, that some kind of entity qualified for the title of "God" absolutely does not exist -- but I know from personal experience and simple observation that humans have a virtually infinite capacity for self-delusion, and humans have a strong enough motivation as well as the imaginative capacity to invent God as a stand-in for what man doesn't (yet) know or doesn't have the courage to face.

[  Edited by NicOfTime at   ]
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that her is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yeah, I agree with that, I believe that is why religion is so powerful, i see it as tool developed by people to cope with their struggles, to understand the world around them, probably why peole believe science has replaced religion, as science now explains many of the natural events religion once did, thank you for explaining it further.

"I have nothing to be proud of today but hopefully tomorrow I will."
[  Edited by her at   ]
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eye is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
By "theology is psychology", I mean that notions about God are products of human thinking -- man's attempt to satisfy his need for answers, meaning, purpose; man's attempt to justify or rationalize or understand or explain his own existence; IOW, products of human imagination.

I find it interesting to see that both religious and atheists have the same pattern of assumptions in the existence and non existence of a God.

If no religion had any valid or "logical" answers about God, does not mean it does not exist. (this is a purely logical statement, not expressing a point of view)

i do not believe in any answers to this specific subject.

Why can't we all wait until we die to figure this out, or not.

I doubt it will make our lives any better if we force a belief system on ourselves.

denial (or faith), is a very precious gift for those who have it.

"i think therefore i think i am"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that NicOfTime is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Not sure what assumptions you're referring to here, Eye. Yes, we all start with the same data, the same general capabilities and limitations, if that's what you mean.

I'm not commited to any particular viewpoint about this. I only say that, based on the same criteria that I use to evaluate the alleged existence of any and everything else, God has more in common with non-existence than he does existence. For all the things that we can't observe directly, we have built some way to detect them in a way that is consistent and reliable. No such reliable "God detector" has ever been built.

Yes, we will figure it out -- or not -- when we die. And I'm content with that.

[  Edited by NicOfTime at   ]
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eye is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
sorry, my comment seemed it was directed as a response.

it was just a personal observation adding to what u posted.

"i think therefore i think i am"
Revelation finished? - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy