Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

what religion are you and why - Page 2

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
iusemybrain is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
my religion is the nation of islam or muslim. i choose this because i strongly believe in the word of the qu'ran and allah

"even if you reach for the stars and only touch the sky just believe you are higher than you once started"
 77yrs • M •
dwittman is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I am a true believer in God - It is just all religions have blood on their hands. I don't need a church or a group to have my moments thinking about God --- I do believe God created possibilities and that there is an equal amount of good and bad - it is our mission as a species to segregate evil without hurting good. I just marvel that we have self awareness and that we can see sections of everything and we have the opportunity to comprehend it all.

"It\'s funny - we just live to die"
 37yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that mutnuaq is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"i'm not a religion, i am a Atheist because i believe if god is real then why does he let us make things like wars, suffering and poverty?"

Suffering and poverty for 30ish years for an eternity of bliss? You must not understand religion time or life in general. Mankind hurts itself number one. If god interfered even once none of us would have free will. Suffering is the human condition it's how we cope with it that defines us number two. Poverty? No one ever said you'd be rich. Are you forgetting humans are ascended apes? We are animals. almost all other animals have to fight for it's life daily. Your thinking is that based on fear ignorance and cowardice.

We are a slave to nature and this planet. You take the life of animals daily to sustain yourself yet you cry about poverty and hardship? We are dominate and on top. We don't sacrifice our lives for any other creature other than man. Mankind makes us sacrifice our lives and time.

I hate lifelong christians who's spouse will die at like 50 and then denounce god because how could he do this to such a nice person? If you come to this conclusion you don't even understand the basic nature of life. Allow me to break it down.

Your flesh grew from your mothers flesh from things she ate while growing you. Everything you are has been taken from nature. You continue to take from nature the entire time you are living. When you die you give it back. You don't understand you were given the gift of life, you think you are entitled to experience life and be an observer of reality without doing anything at all to earn it? Poverty isn't a real issue because we were meant to and have lived off the land for a million or so years until only recently. You live in the most comfortable time for humans. Poverty in America is still a fairly easy life compared to what things could be like.

Given the fact that everything you are has been taken from something else how can you declare eternal ownership of something you never even owned in the first place?

As for time the earth is like 4.5 billion years old. In human life spans thats 45,000,000 100 year life spans. That's alot of life 45 MILLION 100 year life spans would be nessasary just to witness earth from it's creation until now. The universe is estimated to be like 7.5 billion years old that's 75 million life spans. According to the teachings of religions you are given an ETERNITY that's more than 45 million 100 year lives here. You are less than a spec of dust, which is what you were made from in the first place.

Everything that exists today on our planet and inside our bodies was stardust. All the elements and gasses were once bottled up inside a star the exploded out and condensed again into the planets you see today.

If you want to truly debate religion first you gotta be able to at least barely conceive of things like eternity which is impossible for such small finite creatures such as ourselves.

Even the worst life is a short experience that is instantly forgotten not even after 1/1000000 of total time things have existed has passed. Religion encompasses everything and all of time it also encompasses things that are outside our plane of existance and reality. God if he existed isn't made from atoms like you and I, that's illogical right along with peoples ideas of heaven. Which they basically take most of whats considered a sin and put those acts along with human inventions up in the clouds.

Basically there is alot to think about and understand before being certain of any decision you make. Saying things like why would god let this happen? Is one of the dumbest self serving questions I've ever heard. That question is just a tool to make god seem unreal where as reality is already unbelievable enough as it is that a god doesn't seem so out there.

Almost everybody believes or disbelieves in god out of fear. They fear death and pain and fear the possibilities of what they will experience after death their choice to believe or disbelieve depends on how they react to such ideas some people say fuck you, others say save me.

I just warn you that no matter how slowly time may feel like its passing it is most assuredly passing and eventually what ever events that lead to your demise will creep their way to you and then you may get some answers.

Don't blame or be mad at an invisible "god" for mans cruelty. Then say he doesn't exist. Because if you truely believed he didn't exist you would use better examples than life sucks. Just think of sins of the father, Your DNA contains information that goes way way back in the line of humanity. Their programming that lead to terrible acts in the past still reside in you. That's why free will is so good it gives you the chance in this short period of time to say No This is right I decided me an individual in the middle of all this madness to take the shit and move on because turning the other cheek as Jesus preaches is the only way to attain peace.

But I'm not a Christian, they base their faith and devotion on a reward system. If you do something for personal gain then it proves nothing but you are selfish and want things. I like alot of Jesus' teachings but I also like the beliefs in eastern religions as well as the earth religions. They all have one common thing though, man shouldn't be out of balance with nature and should try to do as little harm to other lifeforms as possible.

"334jui8"
 30yrs • M •
Ieatbabies is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I simply have faith in God, whatever that is or means. Whoever gave me life and created existence, that's where I point my faith. This mindset that I have about religion is called Agnosticism and many people around the world share this same belief with me, although I'm sure, like Christianity or Mormonism, each believer has their own view on what the basis of their religion is. So here's a sum up of mine:

Do I carry any information that leads to the absolute answer in whether or not there is a God? No, I do not, and neither does any other human being on the face of this Earth. I believe in God because without this, whom or what else am I to believe in? Where else am I to rest my faith? What is the point of living life without having something to believe in? After all, if there is no God, that must mean that after dying, there is nothing - we simply cease to exist. So I say to myself... Why not? I feel that me believing in God has led me to be a more positive person and have a far more positive outlook on life.

I do not go to church. No, not because I believe church is some sort of cult. It's because I do not believe the God that I live under requires me to do things like this. If there is a God out there, I believe that in order to reach salvation into the next world or afterlife, one must simply be a good person. God is love. God isn't some megalomaniac who demands us to go to church, study scripture, or even pray. I think that wants us to live our lives with good intention and be as helpful and positive to others as we can be during our far too short lifespans.

I do read scripture, but not with the intent of being rewarded God's approval into the afterlife or some other realm. I read scripture because I'm interested in the beliefs of others. Some people are skeptics who believe that their belief or ideas are the absolute no questions asked answer, others, like me, are far more open minded. Scripture, whether being of Hindu, Christian, Mormon, Catholic, or any other religious origin, contains knowledge and mistakes of people of the past. There is much to be learned from these pieces of writing.

I do not pray because my religions book of scripture requires me to do so. I pray because I'm human. And because like the people and characters mentioned in scripture, I too fall down and mess up sometimes. I don't think that God requires one to do daily tasks or chores in order to be rewarded with the presence of God. I believe that God too is open minded, and understands the stress and strains that life brings.

That is why I am agnostic, and that is why I stress the importance of open-mindedness in daily life.

"Even at our swiftest speeds, we couldn't break from the concrete. -Death Cab For Cutie"
 30yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that 7amood11 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I am a Muslim, because Islam is the right way forward...Anybody who doesn't believe in that go look at the "why do you believe in God" thread, where I have posted irrefutable evidence.

29yrs • M •
odinstree is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I like all the ideas people are storming up, I myself don't believe in organized religion. I should be able to find myself without anyone telling me what I believe in. I believe in god but I don't specify myself belonging to a group.

"When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money. ~ Cree Prophecy"
 28yrs • M •
Nujabes is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I am a Catholic. I believe in God, and I feel that he is out there.

To all those who say "SCIENCE IS SO REAL AND HAS ALL THE FACTS." obviously haven't learned much about science. There are so many questions to be asked and to be answered.

I believe in the Big Bang theory, however, I believe that God caused it. Considering there is no FACT on how it actually started. However, I do wonder quite frequently... if the Universe is expanding due to the Big Bang... what's outside of the expanding universe? What's on the outside? We will most likely never know the answer to that question.

I believe that God created man. I am not completely sure on the reason. Weather it be from the start of the cell, or something else. I feel that he has created man. The problem is that even though scientific experiments, there is no possible way that in the atmosphere of the earth after the big bang that a cell could've formed. However, they're not done with their research. But so far, many conclusions have said that it is impossible to create a cell with the things present in the atmosphere at that time.

I also believe that there is Heaven. I believe because... how could you just die? Nobody will ever know what happens after death without going through the experience themselves. However, I believe there is something after this life. I believe that you go to Heaven or hell.

To the people who say "Why did God create Satan?", most of you are uninformed about this. Satan was an angel. Angels have free will, just like humans do. Satan decided to become what he became.
Also, God does not give Satan a chance to "show his true colors". That is the biggest lie I've ever heard. With that said, it means that God doesn't care about us and God pretty much wants us to suffer. This is not the truth.

I'm done for now.

75yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that cswriter is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I guess it is best to call myself a Hellenist. I believe there is a God, but I do not believe the stories about the God of Abraham, angles, demons, and humans. I definitely do not believe a God or angels ever spoke with people, and I do not believe in a Satan and demons. I think to know God the unknowable, because we can not directly experience God, therefore we can not know god, the best we can do is study nature and humanity and infer something about God.

Chardin, a Catholic priest who was forbidding to publish, because of the Buddhaist influence on his thinking, said, God is asleep in rocks and minerals, waking in plants and animals, to know self as man. I believe we are God consciousness, which brings me to, I favor the Zoroastrian, Hindu, Buddhist, and Tao concepts of good and evil, happiness and suffering, to believing in supernatural beings of good and evil.

As for life after death, the concept of reincarnation seems the most just to me, but I think it is less likely than simply rejoining the Tao. I think of rejoining the Tao along the lines of knowing the water we drink and the air we breath, once passed through dinosaurs. Out of the one come the many, and we return to the one.

"Only when democracy is defended in the classroom is it defended."
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
because we can not directly experience God

quote:
I definitely do not believe a God or angels ever spoke with people

I fear assumptions may be an unhealthy pattern for you my friend.

Its fine to not believe in something you know you do not know, but to believe it impossible is not so fine and displays very common and tragic shortcomings.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 75yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that cswriter is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Personally, I like Greek mythology better than Christian mythology, and I do not believe anyone will argue the Greek Gods are real. This is really a very important issue. The God of Abraham rules by whim, according to if He is pleased or not, as did the Greek gods, until Greek philosophy moved further in the direction of science and away from superstition. When the Greeks asked, how do the gods resolve their differences, they concluded, reason, is the control force of the universe. After much arguing, they decided even the gods are subject to this reason. I believe this understanding is essential to understanding democracy.

"Only when democracy is defended in the classroom is it defended."
what religion are you and why - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy