Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

If God exisit...why there is so much evil in the world? - Page 2

User Thread
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
without lies how would you know truth

That does not make sense. The fact that without an opposite you would not have the capability of perceiving the current is not a universal concept. In other words it does not apply to everything. You do not need lies to know the truth. For instance say someone lied to you about the fact that you need to drink 8 glasses of water a day. But, you found out by reading a scholor source that this was infact not true. You could have skipped step one and just read the scholor source randomly which would give you the same answer, You do not need to drink 8 glasses of water a day.

But, it does apply to some things. For instance without darkness you would not perceive light. Infact darkness is just a lack of light.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jimbobby is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I should have put it the other way around - without truth how would you know deception? My mistake. And a good lesson too - thanks Jacker.

"Only gay people have quotes to look good"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Tibby is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"i might take the god's identification of himself a bit too literal, could you give me some example of his identification that is a hyperbole and/or metaphor ?"

II Peter 3:8 comes to mind.

"does this sentence said, by producing evil....it outcomes good?"

I said "meditation on it for a while"...

"tibby and Sky1234 - without lies how would you know truth? Without poverty how would you know richness? Beyond perfection the closest word we have to describe what lies there is 'purity'. I've nicked these snippets from a good mate.""

I'd be ok with not being able to define truth if it was the cost of never having to hear a lie. I'd be just fine with never knowing richness, if that was the cost of never being poor. Without lies and poverty, all we would have is truth and richness.

Your right, we would never be able to define our existance (e.g. "know" as "true and rich" because we would never see lies or proverty, but you know what? I'd be fine with that.

"Does anyone here know what Occam's Razor is!?"
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wizardslogic is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
When I said that some "goodness" can be selfishness, I just meant that sometimes people do acts of so-called goodness because it makes them feel good, or it gives them the sense that people will view them as good people, and they often enjoy the reaction and consequences of thier good acts, and so it sometimes boils down to how thier acts of goodness make them feel. I guess it really depends on the underlying motive behind the act. Compasion, on the other hand, is based on a deep understanding of the plight of others. Very few people will do "good" without some kind of "payoff." That's disappointing, but very true.

"Each conscious mind is alone in the universe!"
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I don't know if a truly selfless act exists. I tried to think of an example but couldn't come up with anything. I imagine that what we would call a selfless act would be a lot like looking at a dirty room and wanting to clean it up for peace of mind. Is that selfish?

"The truth will set you on fire"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Tibby is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Wiz and Chris- Sorry guys, I have to disagree. Altruism is out there. You just need toget out more. Experence life a little, and you will kind selfless actions being performed withotu a second thought every day!

"Does anyone here know what Occam's Razor is!?"
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wizardslogic is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Whoa! I didn't mean to say that true altruism doesn't exist, just that it's rare. And as far as experiencing life, well, I've had quite a bit of that. Most people, unfortunately, are not selfless. There is always some kind of selfish want or need at the core of most seemingly selfless acts. However, I have met a very rare breed of people who can only be regarded as truly selfless. And the things they do for their fellow man are beyond comprehension, and they do not recognize themselves as special or uncommon. True altruism exists!

"Each conscious mind is alone in the universe!"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Sky1234 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
hmm....i don't think i ever met one of those...so far. how much in ratio its the population of altruism? 1:100? i would like to meet one of them...and put it in a cage and mark it as a rare specimen. XD

jkjk... but i really want to meet on of them, to see for myself how is it to be total selfless..

"Beware of the dog"
 34yrs • F •
kaz90 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
wouldnt it seem that to give up ones life for another is the most selfless act? jesus being an obvious example of this, which is why i was drawn to his teachings in the first place.. (this is not to say he is the only person to give up his life for the hope of something bigger and better for others) .... but also to show compassion where compassion isn't returned etc... i suppose this is why the bible talks about doing good deeds in secret, not shouting them about like some do.. so to be sure that the act is not in vain or for attention etc.. yes, its sad that there is such a lack of evident selflessness in the world, however, it is there, just often going unoticed perhaps... food for thought

If God exisit...why there is so much evil in the world? - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy