Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. - Thomas Edison
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Science: The One True Religion - Page 2

User Thread
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I don't know if you're familiar with the Aquarian gospel, but according to it, yes, Jesus was taught by Buddhist masters and others.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 36yrs • M •
blupigan is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
science isnt a religion NOW, but it is a religion. it is a developing religion. other religions cover the whole spectrum at once. science is a religion in which the holy book isnt completely written. and instead of writing the book based on what someone feels like writing, it writes the book only as each word becomes clear.

i think a religion to me is defined as a set of rules in which our existence can be explained. God is what the people who are trying to write the book before they know what to write use as a panacea for everything they cant prove. if a religion isnt a set of reasonings to explain existence than i dont know what religion is. but according to that definition, science is a religion in progress. what we consider religion is more like a scaffolding around the house of science to hold it together as it is built.

without broad cover-all beliefs it is difficult to bring people together to accomplish something. if they have no purpose but to survive they will do just that, and become more like wild animals. but if you give them a reason to accomplish, then they can set out to do something meaningful. such as explain the universe for reelsies instead of what someone made up to solve problems there was no answer for.

"i love you"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Rather a limited view? Look again at your own cultural (religious) beliefs, doesn't it form the aspect of rules for social relationships?
For example the judeo-christian bible, the O.T. contains rules for eating , cleansing, as well as the Commandments of GOD,
which are basically thrules of social formation & interaction.
Jesus teachings is basically a summation of those Laws with the extension that the Law wasn't just how the jew were to treat each other but how they should treat all of GOD's children (mankind).

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I found this. Its fits just nice:

Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt

With thanks to Dick Feynman

""No words""
 72yrs • M •
Hmm . . . one sees the glass as being half fulfilled & doubts;
and the 0ther sees the glass as being half emptied and fills it with His faith!

55yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Tricipian is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Science and religion are conjoined by observation, separated by expression and ruined by passion. I see all things religious and scientific. Its all systems of order. I dont think you can break the habits of the two because they reflect our being too much. We see/we feel. Now how we use that sight and feeling that is another story.

44yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Digital_Kitten is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Some may even be so bold as to claim that propaganda is our new religion. I think more importantly you need to look at the purpose of what science and religion serves. Science is used as another tool or means to describe what is around us.

Religion is used as a moral compass to guide as and give us less grieviences we give to each other.

NOw, what we are consumed by, and what we worship may be confused. Some people are consumed by pop culture, others by science, and others by religion. SOme worship HOllywood stars, others worship the solid facts, and still others worship Gods and/or God.

But, at the end of the day - does it all matter? We are left with nothing but descriptions of what we think are "definitive" truthes of the universe. I think science and religion should peacefully co-exist because they serve different purposes.

"Don't tell me there is only black and white."
 72yrs • M •
Tales of Other World Beings, Deities & Gods . . .
quote:
But, at the end of the day - does it all matter?
We are left with nothing but descriptions of what we think are "definitive" truthes of the universe.
I think science and religion should peacefully co-exist because they serve different purposes.

The nature of the beast . . . the nature of the burden . . .
promotion of a universal view becomes intolerant, constraining others to acceptance?
The Bill of Rights, the Constitution such high aspirations!
Yet all the while these same authors commanded slaves to due the master's will?

36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"We are left with nothing but descriptions of what we think are "definitive" truthes of the universe. "

There are people in the world who believe that science explains nothing, only gives descriptions. And, in a sense, how can you really explain anything? It's a very tricky subject. We all believe in reason and logic but we're looking at them in what could only be described as a miracle or phenomenon (life). Perhaps thats the one question we're all trying to answer with our rigorous examinations in the many different scientific fields. What is life? How did life begin? What's the meaning of life? If we knew the definitive answers to these questions I think we'd reach the pinnacle of human existence. There would be no petty wars, no money whores, and this would largely be attributed to the fact that we would no longer be just inhabitants of the Earth, but inhabitants of the universe as well.

"The truth will set you on fire"
 44yrs • F •
ChrisD - as to your closing statement, that if we had answers to finding out the meaning of life, etc would end all wars, and solve all of human life problems... I don't think I personally would be so idealistic. *hehe*

I don't think that finding out those answers would really entail the "ta-da" nirvana effect for the world. If anything, I think those things are left to society as a whole, and also the individual to be very conscientious of their own actions upon others and sensitivity towards the environment around them regardless of what new territory science has trodden upon and taken us.

Historically, whenever science has made a new discovery, it hasn't been put into good use for the human species as a collective. Most of the time, it's ended in the the split of "beggers" and "choosers". Because we are built upon a democratic, and dare I say... "Capitalistic" society? With capitalism, everything seems to go, and nothing is sacred, and out goes the moral compass and in comes more bling bling?

I feel that most of the time, science is impartial to the human moral evolution. It's just a "something" that people can either use for good or evil. So, I don't know if I want to subscribe to the fact that science should be the pinnacle of human belief. What's a world full of equations and numbers w/out kindness and compasson? I rather would not live in a world of rationals and logic if it didn't ecompass those humane qualities. What do you think, ChrisD?

36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well of course that "nirvana" wouldn't be achieved unless everyone understood the answer and it was a proven definitive answer (sounds easier than it looks). You see, we are all connected through understanding. When you understand another's problem, you can most often reason why they made the decision they made. I believe we are all the same life, looking for unity and acceptance, we are just all under different circumstances. If we could all be truthful with each other and really try to get people to understand our situations, we could eliminate the negativity that plagues this world and move onto the next stage of human evolution. All of the problems of today's world I feel are a result of lies and deception. The truth shall set us free.

"The truth will set you on fire"
 44yrs • F •
Chris- I'd really love to believe what you just said. But, can you give me an example as to how that could hypothetically occur?

And, even though it hasn't been scientifically proven, 2 ancient religions (i.e. Hinduism & Buddhism) has already asserted that human beings and everything around it have each other's essence and ultimately we are a part of the universe and our sole purpose is to get reintegrated back into that energy

Science: The One True Religion - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy