But yet I am firmly persuaded that a great deal of consciousness, every sort of consciousness, in fact, is a disease. - Fyodor Dostoevsky
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

a society at eachother's throats. - Page 2

User Thread
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
What I don't understand is why people seem to block out rational thought when they are angry

One mistake people often make is in thinking that anger is necessary to accomplish goals. Emotions interfere with rational thought and vica versa. Rational thinking is diluted or compromised to a certain extent. Emotions are a hinderance to the synchronized thought and vica versa. So rational thought and emotion have to coexist.

And yes Mindfields19, it does seem rather ironic that
anger blocks rational thought, when it is a natural and adaptive response to threats; that inspires powerful, aggressive, feelings and behaviors, which allow us to fight and to defend ourselves when we are attacked.

Perhaps, anger is not a good mechanism for rational thinking, but rather just a defensive response to our environment. And also perhaps when under threat, rational thinking is of less priority. If you eliminate the emotional guiding factors, it's impossible to make decisions in daily life though.

I believe that rational thought at certain instances is better left 'interfered' with. In a similar way, emotional thought is at some times better left 'interfered' with by rational thought.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i like to think that i think rationally when i get angry.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that patape is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
OK this may be a dumb question but mi confused.. rationallity means what is resonable (i didnt chek the definition yet) but doesnt that mean if its caused.. IF all our actions are caused.. so then arent they automaticley reasonable becasue of that???.. even if its a bizzare action that people hate.. or wait is there a differnce between reasonable (rational) and Reason. ?? would that explain my confusion/..

today i read in the paper (the shooting(in toronto 7 people shot "there is no rational explanation for such behavior"<< WTF assum,ing there was some motive/reason to do it.. even though it was nuusul and many pweopel hate it.. isnt it still rational based on the assumption that the shooter(s) were casued to do it.. had some kind of motive to do it.. doesnt that make it rational?? sorry i ask dumb questions to get answers im looking for..

"no quote until i copyright it.."
a society at eachother's throats. - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy