Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Muslim women who cover their hair - Page 2

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Almost every injustice committed in the name of religion is for the sake of power instead of "honor" or "God." One culture has centered a family's honor on something as trivial as a girl's presence around men is ridiculous, just like it's ridiculous to base your worth on your economic status.

And Muslims are not the first people to do such a thing. This had been a common practice for centuries. The English and Americans, during the Victorian era were just as cruel towards women.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5043032

Here's the story, she was 16 and it wasn't her brother, I think a cousin, but it's still bad.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
So loving a fat guy for his money is better than loving a women with big breasts.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Women can be just as superficial as men. Anyone can be taught to be more or less superficial.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 36yrs • M •
Women just make it less obvious about their superficial views. They see money as opposed to breasts. Men see ass as opposed to social status. etc. It's just human nature to see something nicer and desire it more. If being human is superficial then we are all guilty. Not to mention just because a women is better looking doesn't mean she doesn't have a good personality.

64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The NPR program got me a bit upset, back to the ground, it did mention that even the Koran would not aprove of honour killing.

The scarf since way back when has been a symbol for violation of woman's rights by the west.

But I think the truth is, and it hasn't yet been admited, women want to be controled by the man. I think this is true. Ofcourse for every rule there is an exception and the exception is not always wrong, its just an exception.

I believe that some of the old traditions that have been thrown out need to be brought back. Mainly a boy should be brought up to believe he should be a gentleman. Because of a womans desire to be led and her instinctive belief that she can tame a wild wolf, she may find herself trapped in a violent relationship. Her only salvation is a man who acts like a gentleman.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 36yrs • M •
Lots of women claim this that all they want to do is love and cherish but really deep down they're just making excuses for the truth. Women like this just feel outside pressures that society puts on them. I'm going to die alone, what if I don't have kids, etc. Women say there in love so that these things don't happen. I understand what you're saying decius and women are more likely to love a man without superficial qualities but it's still difficult to find one that doesn't.

28yrs • F •
Aya is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Maybe it is better to understand a Muslim woman before being judgmental about why she wears the head dress and what she thinks, Muslim woman are indeed woman, so as shocking as it may seem they have feelings and the same desires that other woman may have, but the key to to them is purity, control, and being humble for the sake of their God, they only live to please their God and their main goal in life is to work for the hereafter. At least this is how they should be. Muslim woman shouldn't be generalized because they are all different from each other, some Muslim woman don't even wear the hijab, and some might wear it but displease their Lord in different ways like backbiting, none of them are perfect and as they grow up may be tempted by different things along the way. Assumptions musn't be made about their cover, try reading the Qur'an and understanding their faith better, because once you understand, it all comes together and makes a lot of sense. Just know that Muslims follow their faiths like any other person, some are more religious than others.

41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that StraightFace is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I used to work with a Muslim woman who covered her hair. It was her own decision when she came of age. when she got divorced she took it off. When she married the second time she put it back on. She was rather lax, as there were times her hair would slip out on her face and forehead. It was a cultural thing more than a religious one. What is most peculiar is that she would often have really low cut tops that showed plenty cleavage. That seems to acknowledge the letter but discard the spirit of the law. I dont imagine hair is a greater aphrodisiac than cleavage for most men!

70yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that thx1137 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
My optometrist is a woman who practices Islam. To check my eyes she must get close to my face. So in addition to wearing a scarf, she dawns a face mask (like a surgical face mask) to cover her all but her eyes.

I do not think this strange. She is attempting to preserve the modesty required by her religion.

I find myself in a position of respecting that. I myself am not a holder of Islam. But I can appreciate the need for someone else to act in accordance with their beliefs. I would want someone to allow me the latitude to my self respect, so why would I think it strange to allow another?

70yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that thx1137 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Respect for people is respect in their own, not yours.

In Japan, if you are pausing from taking in more food; never stick your chopsticks into the rice. It is a curse upon the house. Don't respond by saying 'that's just stupid' -- don't stick your chopsticks into the rice.

In Nepal, they eat from large communal plates with their fingers. Always drawing back a small amount with the right hand, for the left is used to wipe themselves. But, I am left-handed, and uncoordinated with my right. Eat as best you can with the right. Don't be offensive.

My point is this. Respect is empathy. Bend and grow, or stand your position and offend. One is grace, the other is simply ego and selfishness.

38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that CooJaye is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
There is a lady in my office that wears a headscarf. It's not weird. She's outgoing like the rest of the people in the office and nobody ever comments on it. I think it helps that it's quite an international office and we are used to things being different.

My mom and her family grew up having to wear skirts, no makeup, no piercings, etc. She is one of five girls and 4 out of 5 of them (including my mom) only wear skirts when they are out and two are the wives of pastors. I guess people wearing things because of their religion is just kind of normal to me.

I can see the original point that was made when the woman said that when she covers herself, people look at her and see her as a human being. I get that.

Muslim women who cover their hair - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy