Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Agnosticism - Page 2

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lordnyax is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
good points, id have to agree with the thinking that you must show some way of thinking or experience to believe something, and why that certain belief and not others? belief as accepted fact does make sense when you are talking about believing in something, but when you view those beliefs influencing the world its a hard thing to grasp. Why are so many people commited to these ideas and beliefs without changing? I would love to hear anyone's ideas on that subject. anyway, agnostic thinking makes sense to me, but im buddhist so what does that tell you?

"to understand life is to live outside it"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"Why are so many people commited to these ideas and beliefs without changing?"

Mainly fear and loyalty to family and tradition, but also sheer addiction.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 35yrs • M •
true, but you would think somewhere down the line those beliefs would change, anyway,
how do the world's leaders make informed decisions with these kinds of beliefs and not violate them? W. Bush, for example. This country would kick some ass if he was agnostic or atheist, but every single decision he makes is religion-based

46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Unless religion's overtly state that corporations and money are more important that humanity and equality than I don't think Bush makes a single religion based decision, whether he realizes it or not.

"you would think somewhere down the line those beliefs would change"

That's the point and result of herding sheep, no questioning it, no deviation, or shame for life from loved ones and perhaps society, then eternal hell to boot once you die of misery in life. With no way to prove anything one way or the other.

That keeps people in line and such a tradition alive better than you might think, and when its wrapped in thoughts of heaven and can result in feelings of euphoria and generally feeling special, like any good drug, then simple addiction can account for much of the rest.

Then there is the point of the good message, the same message in most religions, that even Agnostics tend to support. As it is preferrable, not necessarily because it is right, because that is relative.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 35yrs • M •
because people would rather believe the stories other people tell them then to go looking for the answers themself. Bush does make religious decisions, with limiting gay marriage, stem-cell research, abortion, and civil liberites with the patriot act, he deems his decisions correct due to his religion, much like popes did for the holy roman empire, "i am the conduit between man and god, therefore it is only correct that i lead." tht kind of attitude allows you to justify or condemn anything because of the things that you believe in

64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well - I'm afraid I'm one of those narrow minded persons. I still believe it is God that causes nations to rise and fall.

Though I do not believe we understand the purpose of this and might make the mistake of believing that God is on our side should we be the greatest nation on earth.

I think we should be more humble in realizing in history, all great nations have fallen. There are too many believing that this nation will not.

I don't know what makes a person believe something so strongly as to destroy other peoples lives inorder to defend it. I don't understand that. Why can't we be more fexible.

Jesus was an example of this flexibility all the way to the cross, and he never condemned a single person. Imagine that. Imagine believing that he is God, wow. He allowed himself to be tortured, judged falsly and killed without one single curse twords anyone. Think about that. So why would anybody who claims to be a Christian hurt another person.

Something is badly wrong. I'm hearing you say, get rid of this idea of religion and that will fix it. But Communism disproved that theory. I believe if teach Jesus, you'll fix the the problem. If you attend these fundamental churches, you will discover that Jesus isn't taught. They will preach for hours on the Paulene scriptures and not even touch the gospels.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
If you attend christian churches, you will discover that Jesus isn't taught. They will preach for hours on the Paulene scriptures and not even touch the gospels.
Hard to teach those things which they should live but don't.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Good point. How can a preacher make a buck if people don't come to your church and donate money. So we better not preach anything that is too difficult for them.

Go on and hate and humiliate whoever you want, let the poor and fatherless take care of themself, take no care for the earth and blindly trust your government, even unto war. Just tell all the men to wear ties and get a haircut, and tell all the women to wear dresses below the knees find a man and be subject to him. Tell all the women to take care of their wives. That should suffice. And they call themself Christians and they're not even Christ like, but they sure do look well groomed, sharp in those dresses and ties.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
Agnosticism - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy