Try define the word 'nomal'. Don't use the dictionary. I want to the REAL definition. What is it? - Personal
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Questioning Reality: Are we for "Real"? - Page 6

User Thread
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that 730 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
^^I agree with you 2000%......Nothing is all that exists until something is created...(broad something...lol)

"Being is not knowing!"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
reality only exists in the mind. But there must be other realities that we will never sense, which unfortunately is way beyond our brain.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that 730 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
^^lol....all realities are right infront of your face...it's your thing when you want to experience it....

"Being is not knowing!"
 32yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that boomstick is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote "then what if there is another dimension of reality that exists which we created in our own minds

where we're their god"

man i dont know if i could handle that much responcibiity and it woukl get boring all the time cause you always get it you way and nothing could do anything about it.

"shop smart shop s-mart"
 72yrs • M •
jrh01 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Here is the answer.

First, understanding the nature of Truth must be addressed.

Two types of Truth exist: Absolute truths and relative Truths. An example of an Absolute truth is "God exists." Absolute truths cannot be proven. You cannot know any Absolute Truth, with one exception.

Let me give you an extreme scenario:

You are a bodyless mind floating in empty space. The Earth and the Universe do not exist. All reality that we know does not exist. You are the only mind and the only presence in the Cosmos.

Your mind has created a dream for you, for your entertainment. You vividly dream that you are a human on an imaginary planet called Earth. When you touch something, you feel it. When you injure yourself, you feel pain. You believe that everything around you is real, but it isn't. If you spoke with me, you would believe that I am real, but I'm would be just part of your imagination. You are the only being in existence.

Can anyone PROVE that this above scenario is not the real Truth about the cosmos? What if this whole world is not real? What if our existence was portrayed truthfully in
the movie Matrix?

Many philosophers have stated similar perspectives. Descartes - could everything around you be an elaborate dream? Berkeley - everything that you perceive around you may be just perceptions in your mind.

The ONLY Absolute Truth that you know is that you exist. "Cognito ergo sum." You know this because you are aware of your consciousness. But you are unable to prove your existence to anyone else. You don't even know if others exist.

You can never know an Absolute truth with certainty. If you encountered it, you could not confirm it to be Absolutely True.

So I live by relative approximations of the Truth. "Would I estimate that house to be 120 or 130 feet from me?" It actually measures 124.5 feet. Or was it 124.48725 feet? Or is the distance variable because of quantum-mechanics principles moving the atoms in the house or by General Relativity space-time continuum changes from motion in the Universe or gravity from distant galaxies? Or will I awake from my dream and realize that the
house never existed?

If "nothing may be as it seems," where do we go from here?

All we have to work with is our perceived reality. Your ball is rolling in the pinball game of life. You'd better play the game or your ball will go in the hole. You must eat, seek shelter and interact with others to continue.

One must accept our existence on Earth as our functional reality. Presume it is real.

42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Rajpal is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I believe that in the same way a dream feels real to the dreamer but is an illusion compared to conciousness, there is an ultimate reality much higher that our own. in Hindusism OM is regarded as a reference to the ULTIMATE REALITY and that our existence is but an illusion only real to us. The ultimate reality is a place where matter and things associated with this universe dont exist - instead theres perhaps pure energy.

"If you know the candle is fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
reality cannot be separated from the way people make sense of it....NOTHING exists until someone forms it's existence....

Ah ho, Inktomi!

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Rajpal is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Interesting!, perhaps reality is what we make it (what it means to us) rather than some ultimate truth! who knows, u might just wake up right now in some hibernation chamber after 53 years!, whos knows!

"If you know the candle is fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago"
 43yrs • M •
bluescartissue is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
The reality lies in the tides of the ocean and the pull of the moon, knowing that all things will never happen once and that everything is on its own axis. whether or not there is only one dimension to this space should be the real question. Thats something that has really bothered me since my childhood.

"FORGETTING JUST TO BREATH"
 72yrs • M •
In Lakota Traditions is a Fable of 4 brothers (the 4 winds or directions) who set forth to establish the directions. to this end they sit in a round hut and watch the shadows as the sun journeys across the sky.
This is of course the principle of the sun dial, so the sun & the shadows establishes the Northern direction (1st) from which the other directions are set.
Of course, the lenth (longest) shadows are in winter & the shortest are in summer so it also establishes the 4 seasons.
As in science, these traditions are based upon points & circles so all particles revolve around their center & all centers have forces which form fields which extend outward. But these fields come together when they pass through their center.
In Lakota Traditions, the Great Mysterious is the center of all things as it establishes their directions & all things are manifested by the Great Mysterious. Take heart & be at peace, all things are as they need to be.

41yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that rancidkitty26 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
this is a question i have to admit i can not even begin to answer.....first.....define "real"

"we are the music makers, and we, are the dreamers of dreams"
 47yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that tommybc98 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Wow!
There are a few perspectives here! It is so fascinating to see how many facets of reality exist, and what a limited number of them each of us can see... Oh... did I say reality? (Heh, heh)
Perhaps my viewpoint is something akin to:
"We are all viewing reality from different angles, and claiming that our own angle is the one TRUE reality."
There is a certain truth to that concept, because each of our unique realities are determined only by that which affects us, be it directly or indirectly. To question whether or not each of our perceptions are real would be to infer that someone or something else is defining reality. So perhaps, by asking if we are real, each of us is speculating that someone/thing else IS defining reality, and we are therefore trying to include that someone/thing into our OWN perception of reality... Does this not, however, simply expand our perception and give us something else with which to claim that our own unique view is the REAL one?

"Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time"
 72yrs • M •
Ya, I think I get what yo mean?
quote:
There is a certain truth to that concept, because each of our unique realities are determined only by that which affects us, be it directly or indirectly.

Take the question of balance in [your] life:
some may preceive the concept as a {beam balance} scale. In Native American Traditions based circles might preceive being centered as being the point of balance.
That [your] circle of life like the earth upon which we spin, our lives continues to point its axis in space at all points [of] in time.

[  Edited by cturtle at   ]
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eyestien is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ask yourself, is reality but only something conceived by the mind by what you know, which everyone has an opinion to of course, so is it that reality is not one simple thing? And when you think of someone own perspective of it and think of yours, reality is something just thought by the mind (does this seem confusing)

"I am samrt because I know I am dumb"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
eyestien: your questioning refers to the reality exists in the mind concept.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
Questioning Reality: Are we for "Real"? - Page 6
  1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy