Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Isn't Religion Just a Science or History? - Page 2

User Thread
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you saying science is good and religion is bad?

While I can't think of any examples of bad science, though I'm sure there is some, I can think of a few good examples of good religion. I can also think of few bad example of religion as you have discribed. But whats the point? If you believe that religion is bad and science is good, I won't be able to change your mind, and I won't try.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 51yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Blissfull doom is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I suppose I mean that they were closely connected for a long time, religions and temples were around before scientific assosciation's, both can have good and bad points, science maybe trying to explain religion, and the viewpoint is always changing, so theories that are found to be wrong, or from a century ago are bad or obselete examples of science, as there is always something more to discredit a theory, in which case do you think there is an overall godlike theory of science that reveals the secrets of the universe?

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Elemental is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
According to the bible and those that believe in the bible, the scriptures is an actual log and history of many people who have witnessed God's miracles and spirit. These people have a history of being righteous and understanding that there is a truth to religion, and they follow it.

"Fate is the shadow cast by the light of our choice. We can change our fate by altering that light."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Einstien would say that there was something religious about science. I would have to say that it would depend on the scientist. It is not impossible to believe in science and god or god and science. For Einstien science was a way to discover god. Though he never discovered it, I don't think anybody can, he sure did try, that being a noble task.

It is easy to just believe the bible and to discredit anything outside the bible and claim to know the truth. This is easy, self righteous and lazy.

To me, the bible is not a book of facts, though there are some facts in it. To me the bible is full of short stories about us and God. And these short stories are very factual even though they may not contain any facts. This is what makes them special and inspired. It teaches us the truth about us and how we see god. But the bible is not all there is, maybe a boulder on a sandy beach made up of truth. There is so much more. To limit yourself to just the bible I think is awfull.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that protege is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Beacuse I can, I'm going to give my answer.
Religion: system of faith. Usually a worship-based system detailing a way/ways of life. This requires blind faith - belief without proof.
Science: system of learning and knowledge. Hypotheses are formed and then experiments are carried out to prove these hypotheses. Based first on faith, then observation. Some science can never be fact, as it is impossible (at the moment) for man to prove a theory completely, however theories such as the big bang still exist only because there is so much evidence in their favour. if there was any true disproof, it would collapse. The non-explanation about the existence of matter is explained in the chaos theory or thereabouts (if I remember correctly, that something can come from nothing).
History: A collection of bias opinions relation to the past. Assembled from literary and non-literary evidence, of which there are primary and secondary sources. Nothing in history is objective as everything must be interpreted.

I hope this helps.

""In the beginning, Man created God""
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that timemachine is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
In my opinion ( like it matters ), There is a creator, but not like what is being sketched as today. I spent christmas in a monistary with some pretty intresting monks. I learned a lot from them. They study the original transcripts of the bible and compare them with modern religion. They said the comparison was about 75% off from what we learn today in church. One thing that boggled my mind while i was there was everyone was cussing. I questioned. They stated that " cursing " is not a sin unless directed to someone with anger or at anything with anger. AMAZING . Another cool thing that they believe is ; humans were put here on Earth for a goal to be met. They believe that we were placed here to create something useful for the next living life form after man. Such as , the dinosaurs, they were put here for our natural resources. They believe we where put here to create artificial life. Computers.

38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cantersha is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"Then Jesus answered and said, o faithless and preverse generation, how long shall i be with you?how long shall i suffer you? bring him hither to me"[mathew 17:17]

"Therefore also said the wisdom of God, I will send them prophets and Apostles, and some of them they shall slay and persecute"[luke 11:49]

"And even they did not like to retain God in thier knowledge,
God gave them over to a reprobate mind,to do those things that are not convenient;"[Romans1:28]

"For the great day of his wrath is come;and who shall be able to stand."[Revelations6:17]

Be careful my friends reality is not what you can touch and feel but what you belive.

"your only poor when you compare yourself with the man down the street."
 36yrs • M •
Though it has nothing to do with the topic, Cantersha, I shall reply.

"Reality" ID indeed what we can touch and feel. It is what we can sense with our (you guessed it) senses. We can feel, see, hear, taste and smell (and perhaps, with our sixth sense, if it exists, do something else) what is around us. We know nothing else, thus, this is our reality. It is what we "believe" because we can sense it, thus, you are right in saying it is what we believe, but wrong in saying it is not what we can touch and feel.

It is both.

Try to keep on topic, both with your warning and religious quotations. *hug*

38yrs • M •
protege
even though i have not lived a long life i have lived a hard one and through it all
I have learnt that things come and go, they live and die

but where do they go
do they just vanish never too have served a purpose
to just end

far from it
there is somthing out there bigger than this
world
universe
and what ever else is out there
i no you can feel it
because from the first man on earth
we felt it
that which i feel most see thing a lot better than me
so who am i to say that what i see is real

36yrs • M •
Who are you to say what is real? You are the only mind you can ever truly know, so use it. If you think something is real, then, to you, it is. It doesn't have to be to others (as you've so wonderfully illustrated).

And if life itself is not a purpose (if you TRULY need one), then I've no ieda what is. Life itself is as good a purpse for me. Anything more is simply a bonus. No divine right, no divine need. Simply an existance.

By the way, don't tell me I "feel it". I most definately don't. All I've ever felt is complete isolation from any other being, in the spiritual sense. keep your assumptions for your religion.

38yrs • M •
Divine indeed!
for you do not own your life
you will die
Death... also as all the other players
Are directed by that same Divine
Jesus Christ

36yrs • M •
If I can take my life, and I control my life with my own choices, I'd suggest I own it.

(I have a t-shirt that says "Jesus is my Bitch", just so you know)

38yrs • M •
can you choose the day you die !
and how dear you tell me your sick jokes

36yrs • M •
Yeah. Kinda comes with being a living being with free will. All I do is simply take that knife, and insert innto any part of my body near an artery, and wait.

Oh, it wasn't a joke. I do own such a shirt. I just thought it properly showed my view of your saviour.

Bye Sugar.

38yrs • M •
protege!! "and every one that heareth these sayings of mine,
and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man
which built his house upon the sand"[mathew 7:26]

"but God said unto him, thou fool,this night thy soul shall be
required of thee: then whose shall those things be,which thou
hast provided?"[luke 12:20]

you hate Jesus christ you hate me !

"and ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved"[mathew 10:22]
you are no friend of mine

Isn't Religion Just a Science or History? - Page 2
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy