Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Solve this paradox - Page 2

User Thread
 54yrs • M •
mitboyle is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Way to go Gemini! A stranger hun? A historian once said that every year we are invaded by hunreds of thousands of ravenous strangers.

The problem with Xxeyes paradox known as Zeno's Paradox or Achillles and the Hare is we confuse our thinking of Time as duration in terms of space. But time is not added or subtractted in relation to distance or space it is independednt of it. There is no now plus now plus one. So lets say now does not exist and there is only the future moving into the past, with St. Augustine. If we measure the past, Achilles will take off and t1, t1, t3 end out race the hare. Because t1-t3 measure a set of time closing the distance based on mass and acceleration over a duration not split into bits and infinitly regressed.

THink4yourself hasn't caught on to this idea of infinite regresssion or the viscious regress nor have you, sir, givien a clear example with you math formula.
"in some cases... but not in the general" "it works.. .but not with the wrong assumption." I fail to see where the discusion of sets that contain and don't contain themselves and exhibit Russels Paradox are based on ASSumptions. YOu might want to think about whether your example is relevant, let alone described thouroughly. But nice try with the think know distintion from analytic philosophy. In fact you solve the whole thing using this method. Billy can think the exam will be whatever day of the week he wants, but in fact he can't know untill he goes in and takes the test. (Fri- no test). Solves a lot of things, think4yourself.

"Try and keep your word."
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that think4yourself is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The math formula shows that infinitely many positive bits can add to a finite quantity. If you realize this, you know that chopping the path of a particle into infinitely many moments, with each happening a greater than zero amount of time later can still add to a finite amount of time. Thus the conclusion that it will "never happen" is false. It will happen after an infinitely many 'moments', but that whole infinity can pass in seconds.

With Russell's Paradox, my explanation wasn't too clear. I was basically stating that I don't think there is such a thing as a set of all sets that are not members of themselves. If that is the case, you can't ask any questions about it and expect meaningful answers. I hoped the formulas would clarify why I think this. It's because in math (a simpler reality) the assumption that something can refer to itself is faulty at times. Yet Russell's Paradox is based on this like it's something we can count on.

The reason I don't think Friday can be the day of the exam is because Billy can base his knowledge of a Friday exam on what his teacher told him: the exam will be next week. However, on Wednesday night he has no basis for truly *knowing* the exam will be on Thursday. He attempts to do this by saying it *can't* be on Friday, so it *must* be on Thursday. This however is a contradiction. He can't know the exam will be on Thursday AND Friday, without bullshitting somewhere along the way. If he *knows* on Wednesday night that the exam is tomorrow, he also *knows* it won't be on Friday. But this contradicts his basis for picking Thursday as the day, so he really doesn't know Thursday is the day, he only thinks it.

There was one problem I had with your solution to the paradox. You assumed the decision about which day the test would be one will be made before Monday. This is a problem, because a kid who gave no thought to when the exam will be may suddenly realize on Thursday night that it's tomorrow, thus the teacher didn't surprise him. The teacher needs to take this into account to ensure the surprise factor. However on no previous day can anyone realize such a thing. Even though Billy may have guessed a Wednesday exam day and been wrong, another student on Thursday night really does know the exam is tomorrow, without contradicting himself.

[  Edited by think4yourself at   ]
 43yrs • F •
PurpleHaze is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Re: RuleofWar's riddle about the man and woman on the freeway.

Surely the fact that the doors were still locked and undamaged does not mean that the woman did not let a stranger in, who subsequently killed her?

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Pugsl3yB0y is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
For the very first paradox.......

You said that if there isn't a surprise exam by Thursday than it must be tomorrow (meaning friday).....but immediately afterwards you said that it can't be on friday?.....Why's that?...and is that the flaw?

"Knowing the true knowledge of an answer is first understanding the knowledge of the question."
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that weltanschauung is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
A man comes home to find his wife hanging from the cieling, with a rope tied around her neck. She was dead...There was a big puddle of water under where she was hanging...how did she die?

As for the father son one...the doctor was the grandfather of the son, the son was the father of the son...the doctor the father of the sons' mentioned father...

""That all knowledge begins with experience, there can be no doubt...""
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
She was electrocuted.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Chrissie2006 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
... Did she stand on a block of ice to hang herself?

"Dont complain that roses have thorns. Instead, be thankful that thorns have roses."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
 72yrs • M •
ya take your bowling ball out into the yard & holding it over the grass you let it fall. It accelerates toward the soft earth, a positive value. When it strikes the ground it stops its motion, a negative value which ends with 0 acceleration.
Oh, they have found those imaginary number useful in fields of physics as well.

35yrs • M •

35yrs • M •

38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that tangentboy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Quote: everything in physics is approximate.

As is everything else in the world. We can think that we know something, when something new comes along and crashes all of our beliefs into disbelief.

Indeed Socrates was the best person to sum it up.

True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

"Ég gaf ykkur von varð að vonbrigðum.... Petta er ágætis byrjun"
 72yrs • M •
Well sleeping I have been waiting to hear from this thread.
Relatively speaking you are correct in believing the earth is the center of rotation of the solar system but the application of astology computes positions using the sun then relates it to the other planets because it is less complicated. Yes the earth is in constant accelerated motion as is the galaxy, etc.
But using the reference of the earth to most applications is gerenally less complicated & close enough for most of our purposes?
Oh, funny thing the math used in today's physics was produced by mathematicians a few centuries ago but as it didn't have any real world uses, so mathematicians accepted it as a logical construct.

30yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that tummy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
haha, I love these. All of them are making me think. My favorite is the test one. Which I have absolutely no idea about. The only thing I can say about it is that since the professor said there will be a surprise exam next week, it is no longer a surprise. As long as you study for the test each day you should be fine. Silly students. XD

"You see a mousetrap, I see free cheese and a fucking challenge!!"
 64yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Hobbes Choice is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
As of the moment that the teacher tells the class there will be an exam next week the time of the exam is a surprise.
case closed.
Billy might think himself clever that no such exam could take place is embarrassed when he sits down on Monday morning to the exam that the rest of the class have spent the weekend revising.

Solve this paradox - Page 2
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy