I sing the joy of wandering and the pleasure of the wanderer's death - Apollinaire
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

How's it going?

User Thread
 42yrs • M •
tVCrime is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
How's it going?
Hey everybody; I'm a philosophy major at UB. It's really apparent that my facebook is not a very good place to find intelligent conversations. There are too many people using it as a platform for talking out of their ass, and perhaps I'm just as guilty of it myself. gawd forbid I cause anyone to have their sensibilities offended, or question the things on which they base their entire lives.
That aside; I'd just like to say hello. And hello.

38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Sreru is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hey tVCrime. Good to see you here. I'm sort of new too, but yeah, lots of topics to just run your brain against so I like it.

Twitter/Facebook and a lot of other stuff is getting more and more fake. Even the term "keeping it real" has no "real" meaning most of the time, but that's "really" where the brain flourishes I think.

42yrs • M •
tVCrime is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Thanks for the reply! I was never aware of the phrase "keeping it real" ever having any meaning in the first place; other than being a way of somebody saying "I like what I like because what I like is good, and you should like what I like too because anything I don't like is bad." The big social media outlets are pretty phony though. They're more geared toward selling sh*t for companies while allowing people to either show their wishful best or actual worst possible selves to everyone they've ever met. I just need that last push that provides the impetus for me to just delete the f***ing page and be a human again.

38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Sreru is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Too hard sometimes - its like an addiction, to stay connected, social.

But I think people will/are slowly starting to feel that vacuum, where no matter how many happy pictures you have up, and no matter how many people are sending you links and likes, in the end, feeling shit about yourself starts to remain in view and then you look for something more meaningful.

LIke, there are no REAL answers to life's problems out there. If you are lonely, or horny, or gay, or a pedophile, or in jail, or poor, or depressed... there are no real answers. It's watch bullshit on tv, take bullshit pills... all ignore ignore ignore.

Can't go on.

42yrs • M •
This is true. You've got to hand to Orwell. He really saw something happening to us as a species. I think we'll collectively be able to break the addiction if we realize that this isn't being connected to others in a truly meaningful way, and that the solutions to our big problems aren't to be found in a bottle, and certainly not in letting the big boys continue to do our thinking for us. I think that's what got us here in the first place; which is why these are really big ifs because these companies keep adding new bells and whistles to the wares keeping us locked in at all times. I upgrade, therefore I am.

How's it going?
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy