Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Why was The Pill Developed for Women and Not Men?

User Thread
 42yrs • F •
A woman is only fertile for a few days of every month whereas a man is fertile every day. Given this fact, why is it that the contraceptive pill and over a dozen other invasive contraceptive methods have been developed to keep women's fertility at bay in order to prevent pregnancies? It makes more sense that more time, effort and science should have been devoted towards contraceptive methods to prevent male fertility from causing pregnancies rather than towards the lesser fertile females.

I surmise that the reason for this unreasonable imbalance lies in the social inequalities and de-humanization that exist towards women. Women are looked at as disposable and inherently not as valuable people as men. Any thoughts or other reasoning for as to why women have been the target of hormonal contraceptive drugs/invasive contraceptive methods instead of men?

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
 42yrs • F •
Methods of Birth Control available for Women:
Tubal Litigation
The Pill
Implanon
Depo-Provera
The Patch
IUD (intrauterine device)
Nuvaring
Diaphram
Cervical Cap
Sponge
Female Condom
Suppositories
Spermicides
Natural Methods

Methods of Birth Control available for Men:
Vasectomy
Condom
Withdrawal

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
[  Edited by Dawn at   ]
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that parallelist is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Wasn’t there talk of a male pill not that long ago but then there were problems? I’m not informed but I think the reason is just down to it being technologically easier to achieve.

For what it’s worth I think it would be better to have more male contraceptives because there are woman out there—usually young desperate women—who want to secretly abstain from contraception to get pregnant without their boyfriends’ consent. The disregard of ethics in such a decision astounds me.

56yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that HissyFit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think the most important reason is because it's the woman who gets pregnant. It's my body that's affected the most, so it's primarily my responsibility to prevent pregnancy. It's all well and good to suggest that men should be more responsible in this area, and of course, they should be! But still, it's me who ends up pregnant if some futuristic boyfriend forgets or decides not to take his pill one day....

29yrs • F •
gigglydonkey is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
The obvious answer would be that our generation is still a man dominated society no matter what others say. Just think of it as females have many more protection methods than guys! how great!

25yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that ravenclaw is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think both sides should take responsibility since that would also double the chances of not getting pregnant. Every birth control method has a little bit of risk so it is better to have men and women both use birth control to minimize the risk.

I'm sure that if we put our minds to it we could make a pill for men. Mostly, people have just not tried hard enough, and for all the effort it would take, it would benefit a lot of people. It would reduce the number of women that get pregnant and then need to get an abortion because they wouldn't be able to care for the baby - most women that get abortions got pregnant because of inconsistent use of birth control.

I hate it when people say they are "pro-life" because they want to make abortion illegal, when doing that actually results in more deaths because women try to get unsafe illegal abortions and either end up killing themselves or becoming infertile. And it is also psychologically damaging for a woman to feel pressured by others to have the baby but get an illegal abortion because she knows she can't take care of it.

If people want to reduce the number of abortions they shouldn't make it illegal, they should be teaching people to use birth control properly or not have sex at all, because that would actually help instead of killing more people!

Sorry to rant, I know it is kind of off-topic.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy