Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Peers and religion

User Thread
 32yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that dazedNconfused1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Peers and religion
I was at work and I was listening to a girl talk about religion and god, and she asked me, "do you believed in god?" And, "Do you know if You're saved?" It took me a bit to answer her questions mainly because I couldn't help but think that, to me, her first question doesn't really make sense so I pointed that out to her. The word believe is synonymous with the words, reckon, assume, guess, etc. so if you replace the word believe with either one of those, the first question really doesn't make sense. She of course attempted to explain that I was wrong, but failed to explain why. She eventually just stopped and just told me to answer her question. I am not religious and tend to lean more towards agnostic so I told her that. Needless to say she look at me like I had just told her that I worship satan. Then I told her that since I have no way of knowing for sure if I'm saved that I find that question pretty much impossible to answer. At this point she pretty much told me that i was going down the path of satan and sort of made it seem like i was a bad person for thinking the way i do and that I had to accept god in my life if I was to be saved. By this point I was beginning to get irritated, mainly because if she did not want to know what I had to say she should not have asked me, I then asked her," does which ever god you worship condemn people for being skeptical?" She had nothing to say, I then told her that I do not feel I need religion in my life to make me a better person and that at the end of all this if god turns out to be real and is how religious people say and that if I absolutely had to guess I doubt god would only save those who believed whole heartedly even if they were horrible people and condemn good people that were skepical. Also that if she felt religion helps make her a better person, then she should hold on to it and never let it go no matter what. Afterwards she kept trying to tell me, in a harsh tone, that I was headed down the wrong path.

I don't judge anyone, I try to put myself in other's shoes, and I don't do anything to purposefully harm others. That being said, I cannot simply take what someone says as true just because it is popular to do so especially when I cant prove it, atleast not now, it's just the way I am. i also respect everyone and do what i can to avoid conflict out of respect.. So I ask those of you that are religious, why did she find what I told her to be so wrong and so condemnable? Is this just her interpretation?

My views are still intact, I simply want to hear someone else's point of view.

Also, If you want to include your religious preference that is fine but I would really appreciate it if this thread didn't turn into a religion vs religion discussion, I'm sure there is already a place for that.
Keywords: Religion, agnostic, god, peers

27yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that agentchaos is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i have studied the bible closely and that is why i am an atheist, the woman you are talking about has a severe misinterpretation of the bible when jesus told his people that to get to heaven they would have to follow in his example he meant that you should be charitable and care for others unconditionally, in reality jesus was the first hippie
also in the middle ages a belief came about that all religions other than christianity were demonic and evil

36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Theory is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If god created everything then he created me as an atheist.

If the bibles depiction of god is correct then he created everything from evil to good.

So if there's a child who was born christian but his father subjects the child to physical and mental abuse. Then later in life the child reflects back upon his cruel up bringing, to eventually decide a god wouldn't subject cruelty to innocents. Thus denouncing his religion.
Was this gods plan?
Or a cruel test of faith?
Both conclusions would place god in the category of evil... would they not?

The problem with the belief system is, once you've accepted a religion its very hard to keep an open mind. Making your points which appear to defy there saviour futile...and satanic.

When somebody asks me whether i believe in god... i respond with yes but god is the universe and the omni reality's that construct our surrounding. Not a man in the sky which your book depicts.

I find her second question curious. How can one feel saved and what is it your being saved from.

"We breathe natures breath until we are tired and layed to rest..."
Peers and religion
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy