Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Reality does it have meaning?

User Thread
 81yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that pljames is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I hear some people say "my reality is a illusion". My thoughts are if I can see feel hear taste it, it's reality. If you do not want to accept your reality, then you create your illusion. But regardless your reality is still there. What is gained by living a illusion?

Our observations and experiences in our life is our knowledge! Illusions take away our now life for learning and experiencing our true nature...living. Thoughts please? Paul

36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Theory is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I suppose in a sense life is an illusion. If the universe as a whole is itself, then it created a reality in which to experience itself.

I can only come to the conclusion that realty is the ever questioner and we are one answer.

I suppose you have to find your own meaning to cherish.

"We breathe natures breath until we are tired and layed to rest..."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that pickup is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
meta physics and existential philosophy combine to create the ultimate cluster fuck question of reality, its sort of a catch 22 I guess you could say but the most complicated and time consuming of all questions.

I think the better question that we should be asking is what is our perspective, what do we think is the objective perspective and define the difference as our own reality.

"I like carl sagans spin on that, we are all made of the same stuff therefore we are all one and should love one another as an extension of ourselfs"
 29yrs • M •
Exole is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Your reality is created by combining all the parts of your body which act and react together into one experience, which you experience always, unless you are unconcious, thus creating who you are. The only reason your reality would be an illusion (which is depressing btw) would be if you had something like schizophrenia where legitimate delusions were invading your existence. There is no denying, though, that many of us see and experience the same thing, thus making it a shared reality, and so if one of us is living in an illusion, we all are.

81yrs • M •
Our consciousness is our reality which our brain translates what it sees and interprets as reality. Our mind is created from our observation and beliefs from our experiences. Thoughts please? Paul

94yrs • M
Seremonia is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
If any kind of reality IS THE DEFAULT THAT MOSTLY CAN GIVE IMPACT TO OURSELVES, then it's real and it has meaning.

It's not about whether something is real or illusion, but it's about whether something give impact to our life mostly OR NOT.

Conclusion

Reality, does it have meaning?

- Reality has meaning if it has enough consistency to give impact to our life mostly.

"I am free not because I have choices, but I am free because I rely on God with quality assured!"
 81yrs • M •
Meaning and understanding? Paul

94yrs • M
Seremonia is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
"MEANING" in this case.

Essentially:

"Meaning" in this case is the kind of condition that put us on specific level of awareness, in a period of time.

Practically:

Meaning in this case can be considered as an impact to our life to force us to respond it (the impact) in a (closer or) relevant way, whether our responses will put us on happiness or sadness.

"I am free not because I have choices, but I am free because I rely on God with quality assured!"
 66yrs • M
NGKnightfell is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
It could be said that reality is that which we ourselves know to be true, and upon which we base our understanding on how to govern our lives, and which we use to help give definition to experiences which are new to us. No one is able to convince us of any reality outside of that which we are already able to conceive within our own minds, or of which we are unwilling to change our own minds about.

By the same token, it can also be said that perhaps what is very real to me might have no value whatsoever to the people who happen to share this planet with me, and with whom I need to establish at least a modicum of cooperation with if I hope to survive any length of time. That which is real to me must match the reality of other people on even some minute plane, otherwise the words I speak to them will make no sense to them whatsoever. It could be that in my reality I perceive that the person standing next to me is in grave danger, but if I am not able to communicate with him based on what he also conceives as real, he could very well go to his own death, and I would be powerless to stop him.

I admit that I am sometimes confused when I speak to some people as concerns what it could possibly be that they are basing their own reality on, but if I begin to see that person as simply another human, and remember that all of us have certain basic realities in common, such as the need to eat, the need to breathe, etc., then it is possible that I might begin a dialogue with those personages based on our commonalities.

Then, after a measure of mutual trust and understanding is acquired in which we are both beginning to speak the same language, then perhaps it will be possible to begin seeing this other person's reality as something more than that which merely exists in that persons mind alone.

I would say that compassion and a certain amount of empathy is of greater value in our existence with each other than simply judging and valuing or devaluing the realities of others simply because we do not yet understand how they came to the conclusions of their own realities in the first place.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."
 37yrs • M •
Aritolis is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I think what NGKnightfell says is close. The world around you is sort of yours to interpret and you can draw a lot of conclusions from one instance and the way you choose to define it is what it becomes.

The second paragraph is also true because your definition of reality might not be affected by someone elses and vice versa. But i think no matter what there is always the common ground of things to agree on. For example i think everyone might have a similar idea of what a rock is. Or most things on a physical level. So there is some plane that we are all on as a whole but we are all only seeing a piece of it and that piece is very personal to the individual and wont look the same to anyone else because they are not seeing it like the person experiencing it.

Social reactions and how you deal with people though i think is more of a "science" than spirituality only because with a big enough understanding of peoples beliefs and thought processes you would be able to break things down into equation-like scenarios. The spiritual part I think would be "Okay i see all this going on. Where do i fit in this chaos? Or what does it mean to me."

To me i think universal darwinism holds pretty strong. Making us just an evolutionary step in energy which is neither lost nor gained any where. And somewhere down the line energy evolves to a point where it a can see itself and gaze at its beauty and wonder the crazy things we think.

47yrs • F •
windy36 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Reality is reality.

43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that BHU is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Reality only has meaning when you are thinking about it.

Don't think about it--no reality.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy