He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still - Lao Tzu
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The power of thought.

User Thread
 81yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that pljames is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The power of thought.
How does the power of our mind/thought work? We believe we can give our mind the power to use our thoughts to do our bidding? If there are positive and negative thoughts then we can make our mind work for us positively and not negatively.
Using our thoughts negatively takes away the power to influence out mind and thoughts. Thoughts please? pljames

44yrs • M •
pier is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
The question you should be asking yourself is: where are my conscious decisions coming from?

Most people would argue that we can indeed choose, that we have a will. But some neuroscientists are proposing a new paradigm. It's still not a scientific fact, but there's evidence that what we perceive as will, is an unconscious process we have no control of. The unconscious fools us into believing we have any real power.

I would post a link to some Wikipedia articles, but the forum won't let me... look for "Neuroscience of free will" to get started.

81yrs • M •
Pier,
I would think thoughts come from ones memory, be they conscious are sub-conscious. A thought to me can be either just a thought without value or with value according to what you believe.
If we assign value to the thought we have created a valued belief thought and it now has power we gave it over us. We now can use that value power any way we so chose for our best interest.

We are what we think and believe. Paul

44yrs • M •
pier is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
If I understand correctly you are arguing how we choose the value of certain thoughts over others, according to a belief system we also choose. And that is what give certain thoughts power. I asume when you mean power, you are referring to how we let certain thoughts influence ourselves.

But there is a layer under all that process.

What I was referring to in my previous post, is that we may have no real conscious control over what we choose. There are many processes in our brain that happen before we are conscious of a decision-making process. So of course, consciously choosing anything may perfectly be an illusion.

Some people believe we can indeed influence this process. But if neuroscience is correct, the impulse would also come from anywhere but our conscious self. Like riding a horse, and being continuously fooled into believing we choose were the horse goes.

About your comment on thoughts coming from memory. I think you may be disregarding some inner survival impulses that govern us. As a simple example when you think of eating, you may well be thinking of the apple pie in your fridge (because you remember it's there) but that thought didn't start in memory. How many of our thoughts arise from those basic impulses?

81yrs • M •
Pier,,
I lived a illusion for twenty years because I believed my ego. The word believe is the power of words. Within our law we have free will, until we brake the law. Is not suicide our free choice?

I do not argue I debate and question to learn. Paul

29yrs • M •
Exole is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I have seen first hand that one can live a 'lie' or perceived free way of living when they actually have minimal input as to what they are doing. One can push to do actions that will effect their overall living, such as exercising and making the right eating choices, but all in all, there is a vast range of different amounts of input required to do anything. Take for example, obviously, breathing. It does take input, but most of us are so used to it that it requires very little actual effort to remember to do that, but the mind is a powerful thing. At the same time as we are barely, and most always trying to breathe, we could be making a decision about which ice cream we want, which requires input just like breathing, only more of it.

It's the same reason professionals are able to do things effortlessly at times, they just require less input to do what they do than others, because have changed for that task, just as we learned to breathe so well from a young age.

81yrs • M •
Pier,
"How many of our thoughts arise from those basic impulses?"
There's a humdinger of a question? The only answer I can give is, I see I believe it's done.

I see I don't believe it's forgotten. Paul
Paul

62yrs • F •
koka is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
The power of thought is an interesting subject indeed.
There are many thoughts which arise from basic impulses because the basic impulses have been created individually throughout your life.

I believe the power of our thoughts most important, be it a positive or negative one.
The ability of humans to think, create and manifest the ideas which are born in the mind is a gift and I'm certain it really is what the imagination's for.

Has anyone read or seen Dr Bruce Lipton "the biology of belief" (utube presentations etc).
His is from a medical slant but it touches on the conscious/subconscious awareness and spirituality of life.

Words are so powerful! They are meant to be so, because they create a SPELL.

Look at the word BANK it stands either side of a river and what runs through the river CURRENCY. Water is liquidity and our monetary system must have been based on the movements of CURRENTS and it FLOWS UP & DOWN.

SPELLING words is very important and the the idea that a young child hearing negativity all through their formative years are unaffected by this, is hard to believe.

I created an ego, which had to battle against the world. I also believed what I was taught to think about myself years ago - i know now I was wrong to believe those lies, projected ill's from less than gracious creatures called family & friends.

Don't believe everything you think!

"Don't believe everything you think!"
 47yrs • F •
windy36 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I am not sure since thoughts are based on what goes on in your environment. Positive things happen to you then you are going to think positive. Negative things happen to you then you think negative.

43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that BHU is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Taking action based on a thought is the power of thought.

The first step in the power of thought is believing in the thought. The thought does not have to be real.

The power of thought.
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy