Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Conerning emotions and feelings.

User Thread
 81yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that pljames is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Does everyone who has emotions have to always assign meaning to them, like belief? If we took every thought into critical thinking we would go insane. A thought without meaning is just a thought until one gives it meaning. Thoughts please. plj

70yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that thx1137 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Eastern thought, such as Buddhism, practices the concept of non-attachment. The thinking is that attachment to anything, be it desire, things, or even thought can trap us and diminish us. I can't say that I am a Buddhist, but I can understand this. The concept is to allow thoughts, emotions to arise and then dissipate without 'self' attachment.

You are no more your thoughts than the clouds are the sky.

81yrs • M •
thx1137,
Excellent answer. But every time I get a thought, it is a word I understand. It has no value until I give it value or meaning. Every word has it's own meaning and place in the sentence and value.

I place value in all core/original words. pljames

34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that pickup is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
We all have this thing in us known as the black box. Noam Chomsky and others have theorized that every human has it. The faculty of language is our unique ability to communicate emotions that have evolved into more complex thoughts. Put the right string of words together you get an emotion charged by a memory or an experience.

In this same way complex thoughts connected with trauma or troubling memories, even memories that are pleasurable like a first kiss or your daughter being born, these are lodged in the subconscious and become emotion in the same way that subconscious fears like the fear of the dark are lodged in our reptilian brains. The emotion pops up and there it is.

The problem is that we are never really taught at a young age how to process these emotions. The Buddhist meditation and idea of mindfulness has been adapted to DBT therapy that allows you to, like thx said view the emotions and thoughts from affair and detach yourself from them.

Each emotion has a core idea behind it that you can figure out if you first allow yourself to just feel a feeling without judging practicing a state of mindfulness and then think about why you thought that particular emotion.

I think that the variety of emotions that someone can feel supersedes our ability to describe them. That being sad any thought you have is something you create and you are what you think about just like you are what you do, that doesn't mean you can't change if you don't like yourself which is why I think a lot of people like the idea that you aren't what you think, but your not every thought that you think you are your conclusions that then become actions.

That all being said, I think we don't think that we consciously assign meaning to every feeling but we do to each thought that creates our feelings, this is what makes you, you really. See The Thing that's holding you back and the god gene for additional reading on this subject.

"I like carl sagans spin on that, we are all made of the same stuff therefore we are all one and should love one another as an extension of ourselfs"
 81yrs • M •
Pickup,
Excellent answer. Made my year. Paul

34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that pickup is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Thanks Paul that really means a lot to me

"I like carl sagans spin on that, we are all made of the same stuff therefore we are all one and should love one another as an extension of ourselfs"
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy