Sometimes I simply feel that the whole world is a cigarette and I'm the only ashtray. - PhoebeKnowsAll
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Telescopes for Astrophotography

User Thread
 42yrs • F •
For may years I have been wanting to do astrophotography. I think next year sometime I will get started with it. I am even contemplating making my own telescope, but atm I pretty much know nothing about telescopes and very little about where to start with astrophotography. So I have alot of research to do and will probably get my really head buried into it sometime next year.

To start figuring out what quality of telescopes I would need for astrophotography, right now I am trying to find photographs of the sorts of astronomical objects I would like to capture and seeing if I can find out what equipment the photogapher used to take it. This way I know what quality/range of equipment I'll need to accumulate or make in order to get the shots I want. I don't want to end up getting or making a telescope that doesn't show the inter stellar views that I want.

The image of M31 below belongs to Matt BenDaniel, who is an astrophotogarpher. It was taken using a Astro-Physics 130 EDF telescope, a Astro-Physics 600E QMD mount and a Pentax 67. An Astro-Physics 130 EDF telescope/refractor costs about $6000 USD.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
 49yrs • M •
azure is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Hi there, just wondering if you managed to get any further forward with getting a telescope. I got a telescope a couple of years ago and did have ideas of astrophotography but they have been put on hold for a while, apart from the expense of needing a really good camera, the telescope that I've got is just not good enough, even though to me it's amazing for what it does, to serious astronomers it's just a beginners. It's a celstron astromaster 114 which is a reflector. Also trying to get away from light pollution is a big factor for me, although I do live in the highlands of Scotland it's just managing to get far away enough from the city lights. I've been noticing all of your other posts on similar subjects and I too am fascinated by all space related matters, it's impossible not to be. I did manage to take a half decent photo of the Moon using the telescope but I'll post that in pictures.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy