38yrs • F •
||Earth From Outer Space
Some facts about our planet Earth:
• Earth is the third planet from the Sun.
• Earth formed 4.54 billion years ago.
• Life formed on Earth 3.6 billion years ago
• Approximately 71% of Earth's surface is covered by salt water oceans.
• Earth's atmosphere is made up of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and 1% other ingredients
• The name 'Earth' is at least 1,000 years old. The name Earth is an English/German word, which simply means the ground: eor(th)e and ertha (Old English) and erde (German)
• Earth's mean radius: 6,371 km (3,958.8 miles)
• Earth's mass: 5,972,190,000,000,000,000,000,000 kg
• Earth's distance from the Sun: 149,600,000 km
• Earth's circumference: 40,075 km
Seeing Earth from outer space is one of the most beautiful and spiritual experiences according to me. I think any person, if given the opportunity to be in outer space to see Earth from such a celestial view, will have emotions drawn out of them that illuminates the relevance and importance of our Earthly home. Earth is special. And whilst the opportunity to actually be in outer space is limited to only a handful, our ability to appreciate and adore our planet does not require space travel.
Thanks to images collected by astronomers and satellite/spacecraft technology, we can see our planet from places we only dream of. And these images expand our views, expand our minds and our awareness of the universe we live in.
The following image is not only the first photo to have been taken from outer space, it is the first image of Earth from such heights (taken on October 24, 1946):
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."