Life is often hard. The blade is my only comfort. i used to rely on you, but since the last heartbreak i desided that my own blood, and my self are the only things that cares about me. - Blood_princess
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The Moons of Saturn

User Thread
 42yrs • F •
The Moons of Saturn
Saturn has over 62 known moons. Saturn's moons range in size from very small moons, referred to as 'moonlets' which are less than a kilometer in diameter, to it's largest moon Titan, which is the second largest moon in our solar system.

NASA's Cassini sector is devoted to the exploring the Saturn system and their spacecraft Cassiniâ€'Huygens is at the forefront of their explorations. Cassiniâ€'Huygens was launched in 1997 and reached Saturn's proximity in 2004. The Cassini website has more details about the mission and contained of information about Saturn and it's moons:
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/index.cfm

This thread is for compiling images and bits of information and facts about Saturn's many moons.

Below is an artist's conceptualization of the Cassini spacecraft with Saturn behind it.
(Picture Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech)

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
 42yrs • F •
S/2009 S 1
S/2009 S 1 is a moonlet - which means it is a 'particularly small natural satellite'. Indeed, it is very small with an approximate diameter of only 400 meters (1,300 ft).

Orbiting distance from Saturn: approx. 117,000 kilometres (73,000 mi)

S/2009 S lies in Saturn's B Ring where it protrudes 150 metres (490 ft) above the ring - in the first image below, you can see it casting a shadow against the ring.

(Image Credit: NASA/JPL/Space Science Institute)

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
 42yrs • F •
Pan
Pan is a walnut shaped moon and it orbits Saturn in a region of Saturn's A Ring known as the Encke Gap. The Encke Gap is 325-kilometre-wide gap within the A Ring, and it is actually caused by the presence of Pan

Distance from Saturn: 133,583 km (83,005 miles)
Period of Orbit around Saturn: 13.8 hours
Diameter: 20 km (12.5 miles)

In image 1 & 3 below, you can see Pan within the Encke Gap. In the third you can see the Pan's shadow cast against Saturn's Ring A.

(Image Credit: NASA/JPL/Space Science Institute)

The Moons of Saturn
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy