Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Homemade Toothpaste

User Thread
 42yrs • F •
Homemade Toothpaste
Commercial store bought toothpaste may not be the best formula for cleaning your teeth. I've read that fluoride is an essential mineral which the body needs to maintain healthy bones and teeth. However I have yet to read anything that tells me about foods in which fluoride occurs naturally. Tap water, tea, cereals, potatoes, citruses - contain fluoride but it's all a result of fluoride being artificially added. Apparently many pesticides contain fluoride so as result, fruits and vegetables that would not naturally contain it, ends up having fluoride in it. If fluoride was something that our bodies naturally need, then I assume that there would be natural sources for intake.

Anyhow, if you have any good, healthy alternatives for commercial toothpaste, then please share your homemade toothpaste recipes here. I use Colgate, but if there was something better for my teeth that was relatively painless to make and use, I would switch.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I've been using plain 'ole baking soda for about a year now. I can't say my teeth are any whiter or any less. I haven't had any problems with cavities but I also haven't been to the dentist in years so who knows? I've grown to like the salty taste of it actually and prefer it over the sweet stuff I grew up on.

"The truth will set you on fire"
 42yrs • F •
I started researching baking soda for teeth and initially this is what I wrote in response:

Okay, so I looked into baking soda, and yes people do use it as an alternative to toothpaste. It's apparently good for whitening your teeth. However, dentists aren't in agreement about whether overall it's good for your teeth or not. Some dentists say it's not good because it's too abrasive and can wear out your teeth enamel. To be honest, this makes sense to me because baking soda can be used to clean grime from toilet bowls - so it has an abrasive element to it. And seeing as out teeth has different layers, the first layer being enamel, which is a protective layer, I don't think it's worth the risk to use an abrasive ingredient on your teeth. I've read that it may also be to abrasive for your gums.

But then I decided to research more and found mixed opinions about whether baking soda is too abrasive or not. BUT THEN, I found an article that basically talked about findings from studies conducted in the past and as recent as 2008, where it was basically concluded that brushing your teeth with TOOTHPASTE is in itself too abrasive - that toothpaste is actually a leading contributor to teeth wear and abrasion. The article also had responses from people who were saying they agree and that they brush with plain water and they have better teeth than people they know who use toothpaste.

In light of this information, I'm of the mind that any chemical that is abrasive is not good for your teeth. Apparently using a hard or soft toothbrush doesn't harm your tooth enamel, but if you brush too vigorously and using too much pressure then you can damage your gums which will in turn damage your teeth.

I'm pretty convinced now that toothpaste is not good for your teeth and I'm not going to use it anymore. I'll just brush with water, floss and use mouthwash. I'll still keep an eye out for other safe solutions - I haven't checked out xylitol toothpaste yet but I will.

Here's the link to an article about toothpaste being bad for you:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/suzette-standring/too-much-toothpaste-dama
g_b_110419.html

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
 38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Inata is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I have tried the baking soda alternative but cannot say that it is to my taste at all. Thus I have been just brushing with water for at least half a year now and my teeth haven't gotten worse (or better for that matter). I have been to the dentist a month ago and he said my teeth are fine so I think I am going to continue like that, but I would still like to find a proper alternative.

"“The trouble with not having a goal is that you can spend your life running up and down the field and never score.” – Bill Copeland"
 42yrs • F •
Yeah, it's weird for me with brushing with only water - like I can feel my teeth are clean but I am so used to toothpaste that about once a week I end up using it almost as though I need the toothpaste after feeling. It's like you spend your whole life using toothpaste and what your teeth feel like after brushing with toothpaste, that once you eliminate the toothpaste you have to acquaint yourself with the fact that your teeth are clean without the minty toothpaste flavor in your mouth.

You've inspired me though - the fact that you've been using only water for 6 months reinforces the notion in me that brushing with water is the right track!

36yrs • F •
catedav is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Home nees are the first thing we must buy for our family. Most of us would think about toothpaste a regular necessity. But in these stressed times, grabbing pennies has become a requirement. Here are some ways you can save money on toothpaste without having to sacrifice your dental health.

43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that JoeCrow is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
My dentist actually told me that you don't need to use toothpaste, plain water is just fine apparently. I think we're just conditioned to expect that minty taste after cleaning our teeth.

38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that CooJaye is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I'm really glad that I stumbled upon this thread.

I brush my teeth twice a day (morning and night) and when i brush, I really like to brush and get them clean. This includes a good floss once a day on most days. I've only had a few cavities and most of those have been very small. My last checkup was a year and a half ago (basically I moved countries during that time and still need to find a new dentist) and all was great and the dentist praised me on my teeth.

Then there is my husband. He hates brushing his teeth (which i find so horrendously disgusting) and pretty much brushes them because he knows I hate it so much when he doesn't. Even then, it's once a day tops, if that. No flossing but he does like mouthwash.

So, imagine my surprise that he has been to the dentist recently and there is absolutely nothing wrong. No cavities (oh and he eats candy like no other) no problems, nothing. not even anything minor. He has had cavities before, but a part of me was just mad when he came back clean. It was a like a win for him and a slap in the face for me in the oral hygiene debate.

So it makes me wonder if what I'm doing is even necessary. My parents don't have amazing teeth so I get worried and try to help myself out in the long run. Apparently what I'm doing is serving me just fine. But I guess what my husband is doing is just fine, too. I'm confused.

I don't know of any good homemade toothpaste things, but I'm sure there are some out there. I'd just be too afraid to really mess my teeth up. The thought of wearing dentures when I'm older is just so...blergghh

Homemade Toothpaste
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy