It is not the actual death that people fear but the time leading up to and time right before death that people fear for when you are dead you will not be able to or have the cabability to care that you are dead. - Chilltime55
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

God FOUND by Scientists!

User Thread
 49yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ill_llI is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
God FOUND by Scientists!
Well, God particle actually.

The Higgs Boson is indeed real scientists at CERN claim.

I still can't understand the significance of the discovery. All the discovery does, from what I've read in the newspapers today, is confirm scientists' model of particle physics.

In what practical sense can the Higgs Boson be exploited? Can it be used to build a bigger nuclear explosive?

"The birds have their nests in the trees and the foxes have their holes in the ground, but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest His head."
 49yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Waterdrop is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
That's another great event of 2012! Explanation of the Universe physics, energy and so much more!

Peter Higgs said: "I am astounded at the amazing speed with which these results have emerged. They are a testament to the expertise of the researchers and the elaborate technologies in place.

"I never expected this to happen in my lifetime and shall be asking my family to put some champagne in the fridge."

According to the theory, all of the particles in the newborn universe were massless and hurtled around at the speed of light. But one trillionth of a second after the big bang, the Higgs field switched on, turning the vacuum of space into a kind of cosmic glue.

56yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that HissyFit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Apparently, it used to be referred to as the goddamn particle because they were frustrated that they couldn't find it. Some guy wrote a book about it and wanted to call it that, but his editor refused. They settled on The God Particle for the title of the book, seeing as how it supposedly came into existence trillionths of a second after the big bang. Or some such hooey.

56yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that HissyFit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ummm, I may have mis-spoken.

"In his 1993 book, "The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What is the Question?" Nobel laureate Leon Lederman, head of the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Batavia, Ill., half-jokingly coined the term "God particle" because the Higgs boson is so crucial to the existence of the universe. The phrase took hold among the public, but has never been very popular with physicists."

And apparently the particle was discovered in conditions that approximate those occurring shortly after the big bang.

I think I fudged things a tad.

28yrs • M •
Dausume is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I really hope scientists are not too Enthusiastic about the Higgs Boson, although they should be. In all science the word caution is key. Considering other theories, there can be a particle which heavily embues mass to other particles. If you assume the theory that all particles embue mass upon each other and all reactions and properties of matter at a quantum level are caused by gravity. (particles colliding). Furthermore if you believe in Higgs Boson theory it also allows you to think of the stability of these many particles. The more particles imbue gravity at a quantum level, the more reactive they are. A Higgs Boson field composed of many particles slightly altering each other is very stable. However a single particle embueing much more mass than any other particle could be considered more alike "dark matter" than a Higgs Boson. At some degree all particles would have a form of Higgs Boson. But if you were to put many particles with a great pull of gravity too close together... The result might be so radical you would never hear a boom. This whole galaxy might disappear in a second(that may or may not be an exaggeration). Though I'm not quite sure how scientists might manage such a thing.

70yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that thx1137 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I am waiting for further studies that relate the Higgs boson mathematically to the M theory. The problem with string theory in general is that we lack the ability to perform empirical experiments at this time.

God FOUND by Scientists!
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy