Beware of those who think they are superior people because they are people in superior positions. - thx1137
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Your definition of existence - Page 2

User Thread
 70yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that littlejohn is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Potentially relevant-- one of my math buddies came at me with this;

We have proven that numbers are continuous, and increase to infinity.

There are no observers past a certain point in the progression, but nonetheless the numbers are there and are not "meaningless."

So there.

70yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that thx1137 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Meaning requires cognition.

Though fiction, the best example that comes to mind was in the third of Adams trilogy, Hitchhikers' Guide to the Universe .When the 'ultimate computer' was asked the for the answer for the life, the universe and everything, it produced an answer: 42.

Mathematics are indeed interesting and math is the language of physics. But numbers are mental constructs, just as words are mental constructs.

Contructs are not the thing. The thing is the thing.

81yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that pljames is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

Existing. Looking into a mirror. Touching a solid object. Feeling that object. Feeling pain when putting ones hand into a fire. That's not reality?

[  Edited by Dawn at   ]
 81yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that pljames is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
EOTW,
That's the first rational common sense answer I have ever gotten. Excellent post. Paul

70yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that thx1137 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
pljames, in regards to EOTW:
quote:
I prove that I exist because "I" happened to you

Would it not make more sense to say I proved my existence because I happened to me?

94yrs • M
Seremonia is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Existence for itself must be considered exist if it's there, but actually it's exist here or there because we observed it (whether) through understanding or through any means (that limit us). Something is exist because we acknowledge it in any means that limit us.

If we didn't observe an existence (in any means that limit us), but someone else was observing it (in any possible means that limit someone else), then it existed for someone else (in any means that limits someone else) but it's not exist for us (since we didn't realize it, since we weren't aware of it in any means).

But, if we consider something is exist without being observed (in any possible means), then it's not exist for us (in any possible means).

Conclusions:

Basically, what would you define as existing? How do you know when something exists and when it doesn't? How do you prove that YOU exist?

- Existing is when something is limiting (in any possible means) something else or something is being limited (in any possible means) by something else.

- There is no way for us to define or there is no way for us to deal with existence in any possible means without involving verification (limiting something or being limited by something else in any possible means), otherwise it's just a kind of unawareness from something which it has nothing special for us to be considered (in any possible means) and it exist at degree of reality as far as the level of its verification. In other words, if it exists then it must be verified in any possible means, otherwise there is no need to deal with it (whether it still exist or not).

"I am free not because I have choices, but I am free because I rely on God with quality assured!"
 47yrs • F •
windy36 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I am aware of myself so I exist.

43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that BHU is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Existence is the complete lack of disposable income.

Your definition of existence - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy