Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The Molyneux Problem - an interesting philosophy experiment

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
Daylight is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I was reading this and that on philosophy when I came across this Molyneux Problem on wikipedia. Th philosophical problem was formed by a guy named William Molyneux in the 16th century:

"if a man born blind can feel the differences between shapes such as spheres and cubes, could he similarly distinguish those objects by sight if given the ability to see?"

Apparently this was an unsolved problem for a while until experiments were done where congenitally blind individuals had their sight restored. Basically, although the individuals could differentiate between objects purely by touch, if they were to look at the same object without touch they were not able to distinguish what they were purely by sight.

Interesting aye? - thought I'd share that as my first post!

[  Edited by unknown1 at   ]
 38yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that EOTW is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
His tool of sight didn't have the development that was needed to "see" things properly.

This is further proof that everything has to be learned.

"Nothing Happens On The Internet."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Everett is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It can be hard to conceive that without sight, if you were to hold a sphere in your hand and feel the curvature and roundness of it - that the shape your hands form around that object doesn't translate to visual recognition.

I wonder if a person who was blind and has their sight restored, if the process that they go through in visually deciphering their environment is the same as a baby born with vision goes through.

73yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Decapolis is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Everett
I would think not because the blind person would have predisposed conceptions of what things were whereas a baby would not.

31yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sammy K is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
yah, I think the connection between sight and touch is learned not innate

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Dancid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Perhaps it's to do with 'neuroplasticity', in that a sensory impaired person's brain reallocates resources to remaining senses, and these senses typically become hypersensitive, and occasionally extraordinary. If this phenomenon holds any truth, it's altogether plausible that these people's brains weren't doing much with the optical information they were receiving. It may also stand to reason, that the younger subjects would have more success at differentiating between the two shapes, than someone who has lived with and adapted to blindness for many years. who knows

"Draw from your past, but do not let your past draw from you."
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy