Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Drive

User Thread
 40yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that DannyDuberstein is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Drive
I found the movie to be a good piece of arthouse action. It was beatifically surreal in some moments and gritty in reality in others. Ryan Gosling's acting was top-notch, displaying courage and silent charisma like that of a young Steve McQueen (though he had a boyish innocence to him, too). The beautiful moments of love bring me back to a time of childhood innocence and first love makeouts. The gritty ones made me genuinely uncomfortable. It was a rollercoaster ride of emotion to say the least.

Some would criticize this film in saying that our protagonist was a silent moron with no backstory. Well, the mystery man is cool for a reason, folks. Besides, he spoke volumes through his eyes/face/actions. That's the point. This character is not a talker. He's a doer, living life much like the scorpion on the back of his jacket, which is a symbol of who he is by the way.

The story was quite good in that it had been a "one in a million" type scenarios that was actually believable. You're watching it with the jaw dropped, yet still saying, man, this is happening. I HIGHLY recommend you see this FILM. It's not a movie. This is a film. Check it out.

"Just a fleck in the immeasurable circumference?"
 40yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that DannyDuberstein is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
We'll agree to disagree on all points. His roles and how he played them have varied heavily through his career in many instances. He's been many people on screen. Look back on his film history and remember.

No one in the film had a backstory. That was one of the attributes of it that made it so appealing to critics. The imagination runs wild with the characters. Case in point---How did Albert Brooks' character develop such an affinity for knives in his work/life?

Onto the last point, Gosling has hardly cemented himself in the wall of fame in regards to becoming an all-powerful actor. He still has much to do and prove, and he did quite well in this film for reasons I've already stated. He played the role of a doer, of a small person in a big world/problem making an impact with love for the good, and venom for the wicked types.

I'm on the wagon with this one. It's a classic film that I'll be sure to watch a few more times throughout the next few years.

"Just a fleck in the immeasurable circumference?"
Drive
Ads

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy