But yet I am firmly persuaded that a great deal of consciousness, every sort of consciousness, in fact, is a disease. - Fyodor Dostoevsky
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Are there any buildings that honor the 13th floor?

User Thread
 42yrs • F •
It's so backward and archaic that first world 'modern' countries still subscribe to superstitions when it comes to numbering non secular buildings. Avoiding numbering elevators and floors of tall buildings with 13, for the 13th floor, when there are more than twelve floors - does anyone know of any building that doesn't subscribe to this old fashioned stupidity?

If you have ever been to or know of a building that acknowledges the 13th floor, please post it's existence up here. I want to know if there is some part of the world that doesn't appease this particular superstition.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Theory is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I often wounder when and why humans came to a logical thinking that avoiding superstitions would be the prevention of bad luck and miss fortune.

Expecially when most superstitions base there logical thinking partly on an invention of man. (walking under ladders, open a umbreller inside etc)

i feel England are slowly dropping this no 13 un written rule, given some exceptions.
I've never really noticed many buildings in England who practice this. ( proberly because there isn't many buildings I venture into with more than 12 floors lol. but I see more and more houses allowing themselves to be number 13.

Derren brown has a good tv episode regarding superstitions and the simple means to exploit a superstitious mind.

"We breathe natures breath until we are tired and layed to rest..."
 40yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that DannyDuberstein is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What's this then? Can someone let me in on it?

"Just a fleck in the immeasurable circumference?"
 40yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that DannyDuberstein is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ah, looked it up. Haha, I haven't been in many tall buildings, so I guess I never paid attention. Anyhow, upon a bit of research, I have read that the Empire State Building in NY has a 13th.

42yrs • F •
So upon DannyDuberstein stating the info about the Empire State Building having a 13th floor - I was intrigued and wanted to read it for myself. I kept coming across conflicting info and posts dated back to 2007 about Empire State Building's 13th floor being on sale. Anyway, didn't know what was true so I decided to CALL the Empire State Building to find out. After being put on hold so the rep could gather info - yes indeed the Empire State Building does have a designated 13th floor!

However...

The person on the phone also revealed that whilst the 13th floor is there and the elevators show the number 13 - there is currently nothing on the 13th floor Looks like no one wanted to buy office space there after all. Lol.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
 40yrs • M
Wow! People are weird as hell. All that good space, unused for the sake of.....of what? Anyhow, good lookin' out there Dawn

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy