It is easy to look at a person through a magnifying glass, but it is infinitely impossible to hold a magnifying glass to a mirror. - Vortex271
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Morality is a weapon in class struggle

User Thread
 92yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that kowalskil is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Boshevik Morality

1) Several years ago I wrote a short book (with 54 references) entitled 'Hell on Earth: Brutality and Violence Under the Stalinist Regime.' It is now freely available online. Let me show you the content of Section 3.7, devoted to a very peculiar kind of 'morality.' It might lead to an interesting discussion.

2) ... According to Lenin and Stalin, morality should be subordinated to the ideology of proletarian revolution. Denying the validity of religion-based morality, they wrote: what is useful to us is moral, what is harmful to us is immoral. Morality is a weapon in class struggle. Party and Komsomol members were drilled to accept that position, and to act accordingly. The justification was simple. The world is full of injustice and immorality. We want to replace it by a much better "scientifically designed" social structure -- communism. That is why what we do is right, by definition. ...

3) Closely related to morality is the issue of convictions. To a true Bolshevik convictions are determined by the will of the party. Here is how this was explained to a friend in 1932 by an old Bolshevik, Juri Pyatakov (31): "Since you do not believe that people's convictions can change in a short period of time, you conclude that our statements ... are insincere, that they are lies. ... I agree that people who are not Bolsheviks, the category of ordinary people in general, cannot make an instant change, a turn, amputating their own convictions. ... We are not like other people. We are a party who make the impossible possible. ... And if the party demands it, if it is necessary or important for the party, we will be able by an act of will to expel from our brains in twenty-four hours ideas we have held for years.... Yes, I will see black where I thought I saw white, or may still see it, because for me there is no life outside the party or apart from agreement with it."

4) It is ironic that in 1937 Pyatakov was accused of antiparty activities and executed at once. The same happened to Bukharin in 1938. In big show trials both men confessed. Were they tortured or were they persuaded to willingly serve the party for the last time?

=============================

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)
Professor Emeritus
Montclair State University, NJ

[  Edited by Dawn at   ]
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If your conviction is not for truth then you are a tool of whatever tyranny you give yourself over to.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Dancid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This is what I feel like missed out on by not participating in higher education; getting to meet people like you Kowalski,l.

"Draw from your past, but do not let your past draw from you."
 73yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Decapolis is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Please inform me if my understanding is correct or for that matter incorrect.
Depending on what side of your moral situation you are on, the same moral standard can be both objective and subjective..
I personally have problems seeing objectivity in anything. I think anything I say do or think is based on my subjective existence. When I step outside of the box in order to get an objective view of a situation my thought process is always using information that was obtained via a subjective experience.

36yrs • M •
Loheny is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
It appears to me that class struggle is controlled by those in power through the use of morality, for those who are immoral have greater freedoms, and most certainly may take advantage of those relying on a society that is a moral one.

This means that if those in the lower classes perceive there to be a moral society whilst there in fact isn't one, they can easily be controlled, albeit not forever.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy