It's better to be one rose in a bed of roses than, like, one rose in a bed of weeds - Parisite Hilton
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Indoctrination

User Thread
 63yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that manbible is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Indoctrination
The word 'indoctrination' gets bandied about often especially in religious discussions. So let's take a look at the definition of indoctrinate:

"in·doc·tri·nate   [in-dok-truh-neyt] Show IPA
verb (used with object), -nat·ed, -nat·ing.
to instruct in a doctrine, principle, ideology, etc., especially to imbue with a specific partisan or biased belief or point of view.
to teach or inculcate.
to imbue with learning."

If 'indoctrinate' largely consist of imbuing, inculcating, teaching or instructing another; then 'indoctrination' has to be the end result of such efforts.

So when someone tosses the word indoctrinated, or indoctrinate around during a debate it would seem to suggest they have no more knowledge to draw from, grasping at proverbial straws instead of considering the other persons point of view.

Another thing about indoctrination, we all have been indoctrinated on some level, in all aspects of society. Meaning academics, social rearing, religious affiliation, you name it, indoctrination is present. So what do we make of it? Is there any knowledge or ideology we can place our trust in?

I think there is but the ability to discern must first be ascertained.. I found in my experiences that we should start small, with things you know that you know that you know to be true. Then you can use that truth as a barometer to determine the chances of other likewise posited truths being in fact, true. Example: Prevailing wisdom tells us that turning a loaded firearm on ones own head and pulling the trigger would most likely result in self destruction. Now this may seem like an exaggeration but there are people who would vehemently argue the rare anomaly of a survivor would carry as much weight in discerning truth. They would be poor at discerning because the "barometer" of truth overwhelmingly points to self destruction as the result.

So how do we use discernment in an indoctrinated world? We test what's being taught with known truths we all discover in our personal lives. Though I'm Christian I've found this technique extremely helpful when researching all aspects of the Christian Bible. I gathered the known truths related to the times, the verifiable facts mentioned in scripture, idioms, customs, even took into consideration the comparative limited languages in contrast to our modern expanded language. I found many nuances in scripture that can only be vindictive of the times written therein with the peoples referenced. This was something I was compelled to do after a spiritual epiphany on my part. Point being knowing other truths helps to discern the information on hand that's being taught as truth or fact.

I used discernment to affirm the validity of scripture in this modern age but using this technique is helpful in all learning situations in an indoctrinated world. Anyone else out there have some input? Thoughts? They would be most welcome.

"To love oneself is to love others."
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Like any word with multiple meanings or potential intentions in use, context is paramount. So is discerning context.

The specific use of indoctrination in religious discussions tends to be, to forcefully, deceitfully, ignorantly, thoughtlessly, biasedly etc. Push one's point of view, belief, "knowledge upon another.

Usually through strict protocol, hampered critical thought, threats etc.

The price of freedom and free thinking is eternal vigilance. Once you think you know something seemingly unknowable, is usually when you are the most wrong.

Science is horrible about this as well.

So when you hear the word indoctrination bandied about, make sure you are familiar with grade school concept of context.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 63yrs • M
Good input Ironwood, thanks.''

63yrs • M
"Though the frustration exists, it is unfortunately necessary to concede to the findings of the barometer even if we emotionally know there is a hidden truth that would prove us right. Why? Because the pressure created as a result of conceding to something we disagree with is a natural and absolutely effective way of dislodging within us and our environment factors that contribute to us not being able to accurately communicate and acknowledge what feelings and premises and memories we have within us."

Very profound, insightful. Great response Decius! You took my thoughts and expanded brilliantly!! Thank you.''

Indoctrination
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy