Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Pretentious or Intellectual?

User Thread
 28yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheHollowMen275 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
As i sit on my patio, sipping my latte, stroking my goatee and reading Homage to Qwerty Uiop on my new Amazon Kindle, whilst discussing existentialism with my dog Caruthers sitting nearby, I cannot help but ask myself where to draw the line between when someone is pretentious and they are intellectual. Being pretentious in itself, means pretending to have qualities which you do not, commonly referring to intellectualism. Most of my retorts in arguments involving words with more than 3 syllables are met with "Stop being pretentious" or some similar witty counter argument.
How can you tell between an intellectual and a trickster?

"All the world's a stage. And all the men and women are merely players."
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
A big sign is people who speak in definitives rather than calculated yet open minded degrees of probability.

I speak definitively on facts of what people say alot, which often gets confused as their words being deemed a definitive fact, but when needed, can usually clarify and clear up the.misconception.

But when someone is just right cause they say so even though no one can prove it and their word is gospel and intentionally demeaning of your own, then ya, you tend to have yourself a pretentious prick.

Don't judge too harshly those whose insecurities get the best of them though.

Some people who would be comforted by the fact that nothing can truly be known as undeniably certain and factual, as the only constant is change, tend to fear the seeming chaos such a concept can represent.

Which is a bit silly on the one hand given the obvious nature of general consistency in our lives of such things as solid matter and even waking up every morning to close to the same world you left in sleep.

And we all suffer a bit of arrogance and pretentiousness at times anyway. There is a reason the word sophomore exists.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 36yrs • M •
augie is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
iron wood, you pretty much hit that nail on the head

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy