Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Depression

User Thread
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheFreshKeeper is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Depression
When I get upset about something, no matter what it is, I get upset about everything. It's like every negative thought is a snowball rolling down a mountain. If I'm upset about losing a Starcraft game and I linger on it too long I'll start thinking that I'll never be good at anything, that I'm wasting my life. Then I think that's horrible to think like that, and I must be a horrible person, so unable to deal with anything. Then I'll combine both and think that a horrible person will never be any good at anything, and so on.

Sometimes it feels somewhat conscious, for example when I am upset about something really upsetting, I will think about other things that upset me, so it feels like I can get all the sadness out without really having to face the issue. But mostly it is involuntary, I just have no control of my thoughts. I feel I have been conditioned by my life to have certain negative responses to certain things. For example, "I don't feel like it tonight"- I think, "Well there must be something wrong with me, I must have done something wrong, I'm ugly, I'm stupid, I'm horrible, what have I done wrong". The frustrating thing is I can recognise a lot of these responses, but I haven't been able to progress past them- I'll still think them instantaneously, and emotionally, they will be total and absolute. Even if I know it logically, I am still unable to see it as unreal, because it is overwhelming and all-encompassing.

I am clinically diagnosed with Depression, being a high-functioning austistic, and (lol) Asperger's Syndrome. I have tried many different anti-deppressants in various doses to no effect, so I do not think it is a chemical thing. But I do feel like depression is my natural state, or rather, my default state. When I'm depressed it's the only way I've ever been, or will be. A little voice that sounds like me says stuff like "Welcome back," "This is how you truly are," "Look how long happiness lasted you that time, huh?", stuff like that.

A lot of the time, I have two states of emotion. First, I'll be depressed, and cry and rage and all that. Then, I'll just be nothing, neutral, dead inside.

I feel like the solution is self love- to be able to love myself enough not to assume that I'm horrible, to know that it is not my fault, to be okay with how things are. It feels so far away, so unattainable. I work towards it every day, but I have these horrible thoughts- thoughts like, "I am a broken person who will never be happy." I have strived and strived and gotten through so much in my life but I still feel like my depression is insurmountable, that it is an integral part of who I am, and that it drives people away from me.

Sometimes I am reminded of this boy I knew in high school. He used to eat things for money, or jump off things, and often he really hurt himself, whie the rest of us just laughed. He was so utterly deplorable because he was trying to hard to win our friendship, to be liked by us. I feel like that sometimes. I feel like I try so hard to be liked, and to be loved, that it drives away the people that do, because I do not hold that love for myself.

I feel like I do not know what to do. I feel like I need help. I feel like I want someone to tell me everything is going to be okay. For someone to love me for who I am, as a broken person, so they can help me become a better person. I feel like that is a negative way to think, but sometimes I cannot help but yearn for that. I feel it has a lot to do with my parents and my relationship with them, I feel like I yearn for the love they should have provided but never did.

Not to go too deep into my personal history straight off the bat, but basically my mum and dad are horrible, abusive people. My dad was never around when I was younger, and they eventually divorced and he flew to the other side of the country. I always felt okay with that, as a child, because I was more drawn towards my mother anyway.

But my mother changed. The second I got my own opinion and stopped needing her she started resenting me. She would delight in telling me things like "If I hadn't had you I would be so happy" and then things like "You used to love me so much when you were younger". She would say a lot of negative things in a positive way, and still does to this day.

When I was eighteen I started writing a book. I still consider it to be a work in progress, though I haven't worked on it in a long time. I like to think that that person isn't me anymore, that horribly bitter, angry, sad, nihilistic teenager isn't who I am anymore, but I am not so sure. I can still read through everything and relate to a lot of it. But anyway I reread it again recently and there is a line in there which I feel I have tattooed across my forehead:

"I GUESS WHAT I NEED IS SOME GODDAMN HELP BUT WHO COULD POSSIBLY HELP ME"

Anyway, I didn't really have anything specifically to say in this thread. Just wanted to talk about how I feel and explore it as much as possible, with people or on my own.

34yrs • M •
http://youarenotsosmart.com/2009/11/11/learned-helplessness/

I guess I feel like that a lot of the time, but I do not know how to break out of it.

36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I was pretty depressed from about 18-20 and I still get days where I just don't feel happy. Everybody has ups and downs. But one of the things that really helped me was keeping a journal and writing in it especially when I was feeling a lot of emotion or was really depressed to articulate those feelings which helps to take some of the vagueness away.

Every couple of months or so I would go back and read things and I'd see my progression and I'd see where I was making mistakes and whatnot.

Around the same time I also started researching and dabbling in an almost completely unresearched new invention called a Mind Portal. It's hard for me to say how much this contributed to overcoming a lot of my depression but I feel like it's made a large impact on my life regardless and I feel very fortunate having discovered it.

I hope this helps and I'm sure one day you will figure out the source of this depression if you keep at it! Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help!

All the best

"The truth will set you on fire"
 34yrs • M •
I've decided that keeping a journal is a good idea, so I've made a thread for one here on CC! Huzzah.

I dunno about this Mind Portal thing, seems a bit dubious. How has it helped you?

36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
I've decided that keeping a journal is a good idea, so I've made a thread for one here on CC! Huzzah.

I think you'll find that it will be very helpful to you!

quote:
I dunno about this Mind Portal thing, seems a bit dubious. How has it helped you?

It is dubious, as every new discovery always is. I can't say for sure exactly how it has helped me as it wasn't the only thing I was doing as I was using it. I just know that I used it (and I am still researching and meditating upon it) for 2 and a half years and my life has gotten dramatically better. I'm more confident, more relaxed, more myself and I have a growing sense of purpose in my life.

Who knows? Maybe it was only a placebo to me. Still, there's something about it that makes sense to me on an intuitional level. And it's so simple... yet new and creative. Why is it that only myself and one other person (as far as I know) have seen enough potential in it to try it? Are we both just on some similar wavelength of insanity? Could be I suppose.

What other frontiers are left for humanity? The bottom of the ocean... Mars... that about stretches the limits of our escapades in the natural world. But what about the mind? And what's the best way to explore it? Is it something any lay person can do or only a specialized scientist in a lab? I have my own opinions but who cares? Is there no spirit of adventure left in this world? Are there any risk takers left? Where are our Lewis' and Clarks? Our Danial Boones? Our Columbus'?

I wish I could wait for them too but there's just no time, is there?

"The truth will set you on fire"
 45yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Cainchild is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If you're male I suggest taking your own life.

If your female then seek counseling, you're too precious feel this way.

"Fear is the emotion that prevents us from doing thing we shouldn't have thought of to begin with."
[  Edited by unknown1 at   ]
Depression
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy