Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Polygamy

User Thread
 35yrs • F
A CTL of 1 means that vigil is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Polygamy
Is it possible to genuinely love multiple people at once?

Can the love you have for your partner be the same love you have for your family and friends?

58yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that fearless5555 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If I wasn't good enough for you then, then you're definitely not good enough for me now! age changes everything

"Teach the people how to get along with one another because we already know how not to!"
 49yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Swordpriest is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Your love can uptake the whole universe, however, the way I love my wife is different from the type of love I give to my friend.

Furthermore, try to differentiate love from lust.

"May our hearts be at peace always."
 35yrs • F
Apart from sexual intimacy, how is it different?

49yrs • M •
Ownership ! You may be miss understood my words Decius. I was talking about the type of love toward others, and this was an example only, not as you described.

In my culture, the word wife is considered more sacred than friend, I apologize for the inconvenience.

49yrs • M •
When you love someone, you care about him/her, share his/her thoughts, try to be there if needed. However, your heart may prefer someone on another, thus your love will have different level to those who you care about.

49yrs • M •
Since you are absolute with your opinions , I do not need to elaborate any further.

35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Is the fear of polygamy that there wont be enough love to go around, or the insecurty of competition? Do either of these fears come from something that could trully harm us? It seems that the idea of polygomy suggests that love is love no matter who is recieving, and that the spread of love is entirly harmless.

It kinda just sounds like having family.

Perhaps the fear comes from this

1st party loves 2nd party and vice versa
1st party loves 3rd party and vice versa
3rd party does not love second party

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 35yrs • F
quote:
Perhaps the fear comes from this

1st party loves 2nd party and vice versa
1st party loves 3rd party and vice versa
3rd party does not love second party

I think there are spiritual values we must uncover within ourselves in order to love and be loved, and that these values have the potential to be found in all of us. And if we all allowed our minds to pursue them, love would be something that existed between every single one of us

This forum is built on those values.

[  Edited by vigil at   ]
 49yrs • M •
Love is spiritual, and to gain love we must cast out our hatred.

35yrs • F
If you are unwilling to discuss the topic being discussed, please do not post in this thread.

35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
So you believe it is a misunderstanding ( i.e. untruth or lie ) that prevents people from not being afraid of polygamy? Or are you saying that you believe we are all connected in some way anyway, and not understanding that is what causes the fear?

See, I think the real fear, for me at least, is taking on another persons set of issues. One person is challenging enough for me. So does the fault of this fear fall on me, my partners pain, or the third parties pain. I'd like to believe that it falls on me, so I remain in control, but the fear of anothers pain doesnt feel irrational. So do I tell myself that it is weakness of mine, not being able to deal with their pain, or a fault of their own.

Yaknow, I just said to myself, its not their pain, its the fear of their pain with out their love.

Do you believe it is fear that prevents polygamy? What are your fears?

How do you prevent your mind from pursuing those values?

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 35yrs • M •
XG41 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
My greatest fear in entering a polygamous (or technically polyandrous) relationship was that it threatened my self worth. I have lusted after exclusivity my whole life to provide me with a sense of being unique and important, which made me very aggressive towards my brother and friends when they tried imitating me throughout my childhood. Naturally, the concept of another man being intimate with my first love was a concept that did not sit well with me. I felt extremely threatened, because A) It was proof she was not "mine" any more, and B) It lead me to feel inferior because this other man was significantly more spiritual and open minded than I was. To break it right down, I have always become very insecure at the thought of another man providing my partner with more, and I think it's suppressing fears like these which is how monogamy came about in the first place. I believe it is possible to prefer a monogamous relationship for healthy reasons, but one must question those reasons very thoroughly before moving forward.

Polygamy
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy