The only thing worse than dying is living in these stagnant times. - Sadistichunger
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Atheist Ideals - Page 2

User Thread
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The idea I was attempting to share was that I beleive the absence of faith is the essence of truth. Therefor a movement of truth IS a movement of atheism.

The title is not for comfort due to insecurity, more there to put a name to a people slighty less abstract than truth seeking, but most peoples understanding of atheism is that "I know there is no god." Rather than my understanding of "I don't care."

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 45yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Cainchild is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Atheism has been one of the more peaceful religions out there. I call it a religion because it has become exactly that. Like all other religions, since it has grown it has lost sight of its own principals. Biologically based empathy and morality. To say that there is no god is to have faith in something you cannot prove, exactly like a religious person. lets go back to violating it's own ideological tenants.
Atheist have become the #1 bashers of people who believe differently. They have come to idealize men like swift and ted turner. Most of all Atheism says - We are right because we are right. This sounds like Linux or Christianity to me.

"Fear is the emotion that prevents us from doing thing we shouldn't have thought of to begin with."
 35yrs • M
I'm sorry but did you actually read any of this? Do you understand what is actually being discussed here?

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 45yrs • M
Yes I do, and of course I did.
The intrinsic unifying cause of what Atheism once was sort of put forth in the opening post for this thread. From my seat it seems that Atheism has produced it's own zealots. Such people (who increase in frequency as any belief system grows), will tend to pervert or distort the original message.

"I believe that a well thought out and logical pattern of Ideals and Actions is in order."
This, as I see it has always been one of the principals of Atheism. Logical Patterns of Ideals and willingness to compromise them to accommodate reality.
"Biologically based empathy and morality. ", rather than a belief that we do what is right for fear of a deity would be another. However this has been turned into something else. You said religion should be studied, not feared and either way the deity argument went was fine so long as it was truth. Bravo, if more Atheist could think like that, I would personally be happy.
As I said, those principles of truth, biologically based morality and logical patterns of seeking truth have been replaced by a FAITH in the absence of any God, and that Atheism equates to anything anti-religious.
This leads to the guiding star you seek being turned into - "Atheism is right because it is right.", rather than "I think Atheism might be right because of the study I have committed myself to in pursuit of a singular truth."
However, as mentioned by a previous poster Atheism literally means "A belief that there are no gods. Greek "a-theos": without-god. "
So remaining open to the possibility that some deities may exist, is more appropriately called Agnosticism. However, I agree that agnosticism wreaks of confusion and an unwillingness to take a stance, so I support this notion or incarnation of Atheism actually.

I would like to know then, do you understand what you're discussing here?

"Fear is the emotion that prevents us from doing thing we shouldn't have thought of to begin with."
 35yrs • M
I do, and thank you for elaborating. I much better understand you now.

Your idea about the zealots is exactly what this is about. I was hoping to find the basic general truths behind atheism, if any, and then talk about what that truth seeking movement can be. Truths undistorted by zealots who claim false knowledge.

And to adress my issue with agnostics, they claim ignorance of a truth. I claim apathy. This life is all I do know, and am very sure of that. And I will not waver to the fear that something might be next, allowing that fear to chain myself to an un-answerable question. Neither will I claim to beleive in a zealots attempt at courage by assuming that nothing is there.

I call myself an atheist, should I not?

45yrs • M
I am certainly not one to tell you that, by any stretch of even the most depraved imagination.
Since yours is a belief based in seeking the truth, with bias, pathetic to the whatever that outcome would be I think you should be so bold as to find a unique term for that.
Why?
Because most of the existing *.theisms tend to have a stake in the outcome.
The best I could come up with is truist (which is taken) or Aletheist Alethia being Greek for truth. I also think it sounds cool. But I am a bitter, angry nerd.
Fucking Zerglings!

Atheist Ideals - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy