In the chills of brutal cold winter, I realised that within me lay an invincible summer - rudra_tatvamasi
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Light Clocks and Special Relativity

User Thread
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
You may be aware of 'light clocks' and special relativity.
If not see this site below for 4 and 1/2 minute video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JKdqKtNPsU&NR=1

I believe that the reason it seems light slows down is due to the greater distance the photon has to travel. This is because the object is moving at right angles to the motion of the light clock.

Think about this... Would they get the same result if the light clock ran parallel to the motion of the moving object?

Would love to know your thoughts...

Also, if anyone has any other links to proof of time travel in this area, would love to see them, and whether they stack up to analysis.

"There is no negative one..."
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Just had another thought...

This seems to work if the object moves in two directions at once (let's call them across and up).

But if the object is moving in both across and up, they are no longer two separate directions, but one (that being diagonal)...

Does this make sense?

"There is no negative one..."
 29yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that James008 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i love physics but it seems that i can not access the video so i cant answer you but i would have loved it if you wrote what happens in the video.

"Life is interesting but the universe rules."
 28yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheHollowMen275 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
We can see light slowing down sometimes through telescopes. Over extremely long distances, as objects such as stars are moving away from us, light is stretched as its wavelength changes. This is known as the Doppler effect, or "red-shift." Technically, when we look at the stars, we are seeing into the distant past. When we look at different, far off Galaxies and stars, sometimes they get a snazzy red tint, this is a result of the Doppler effect. What you need to be more worried about is when there is a blue tint in an image, as this means that the object is coming towards us!

"All the world's a stage. And all the men and women are merely players."
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy