Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What would I Die For? Heaven (Forbid)

User Thread
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wittgensteins is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
In a world shorn of the soothing sooth of God, in a midday sky with a star but no sun, in an age when the telly is man's telos - what do we say? - that Nietzsche was perhaps right? - that Camus was perhaps on to something? - that God is dead? - that suicide is the only serious philosophical question?

These questions should be answered dishonestly or not at all.

Then again, this may not be an impasse. Perhaps man will shake off his lethargy, walk in the hour of maturity, and create his own values. (Constructivism). We live for:- others. We love:- others; and only ourselves secondarily. Or: perhaps, as Aristotle thought, we are rational first, bipeds second. Perhaps all the the scientific imperialism which bedevils modern life is in fact an unalloyed good; perhaps knowledge, whether empirical, logical, or mounted entirely on speculation, is a pearl beyond price; perhaps, to skate on even thinner ice, we are, in our depths, "knowers"; perhaps we balk at Nozick's experience machine because nothing could be worse than being systematically fooled; and perhaps abstruse matters of cosmology are of interest precisely for this reason, to say nothing of history, and philosophy, and literature.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy